Make the Buses function like the Buses in Pro Tools

It’s not possible to remove them from the visibility lists. Can’t see that being a huge problem though?

You’re right, it’s not a huge problem. But in comparison to Pro Tools’ Bus-system, it’s a bit more cluttered in the “Visibility”-list. It’s unnecessary to have a huge list of busses in the “Visibility”-list, when I only use those Buses as routings for other channels. In Pro Tools, the Buses aren’t “real” channels, but only functions as routing-devices. If I would want a Bus to be an input- or output-channel, then I would just have added a new input/output channel. I don’t see why Steinberg has forced the Buses to be input- or output-channels, instead of just letting the Buses be means of routing.

Well you could put all your buses in a folder and collapse that in the visibility list.

Ah thanks man, that makes it way less cluttered! I just bought Cubase 7.5, so I’m new to how the “Visibility”-list functions, so I didn’t know that the folders worked like that within the “Visbility”-list too. Much appreciated!

I marked the Bus-channels in the mixer and clicked on “Move selected channels to New Folder”. But the folder only appears in the Visibility-list located in the Project Window, so the Bus-channels still remains in the Visibility-list located in the Mixer.
So I didn’t get the Bus-channels in the Visibility-list located in the Mixer, into a folder.

If you can’t make them go away entirely, is it at least possible to select them from the new 7.5.20 menu on the left to park them out of the way at one end of the mixer or another?

Hi, Logo.

Perhaps it’s a bug, but there is a workaround. After selecting all the buses you wanna hide and clicking “Move selected channels to New Folder”, click QLink and click on the W to write automation on one of those buses, then you’ll have all the buses in the folder.

Cheers,

Sam

Another approach you could take is to go into VST connections with the output configed to show all your outputs, save that as a preset. Then remove the outputs you don’t want to normally see and save that as a different preset. Then you won’t see the extra buses unless you load your “all outputs” preset.

If I’m reading you right (having had only the slightest exposure to PT), then you should use Group Tracks to do this.

I thought group tracks were busses?? How do you create a buss then?

Kind of confused right now… Are “Group Tracks” the actual “Bus-connections” that I’m referring to?
Just to be clear: The kind of “Bus-connections” that I’m referring to in Pro Tools, are just routing-connections, and they do not show up in the mixer as a channel. They only appear as connection-devices in the Input/Output-menus, and the Insert/Send-menus, for each channel in the mixer.

I went to an audio-technician-school some years ago, where they used Pro Tools as their DAW, due to it being the studio-standard. So now I’m trying to convert myself from the Pro Tools-language, to the Cubase-language.
So, what type of track/channel is a “Group Channel” in Cubase? What function does it have in Cubase?
Bus 2.png

Yes. Group tracks function as busses - AND they also show up in the mixer as Group Channels.
Consider the channel an “insert” in your bus - actually providing additional flexibility (group processing, level adjustments, further send capability, etc).

Group channels are NOT input channels - and no input can be selected. They are only Group/Busses.

They can be selected as the source for any actual audio input channel . . or other busses . . I mean, Groups (grin).

They can also be selected as the source for an audio export (mixdown). Very nice for pre dubs and stems.

Really quite flexible.
They DO show up in the mixer but as previously stated can be hidden - or used exclusively in a second or third mixer (your “buss” mixer, as it were).

Hugh

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying this :slight_smile: Much appreciated

Nor are they output channels. Although their output can be routed to an output channel.

From the OP it sounded like they had a bunch of output channels that they didn’t want to see. For example if your audio interface has 8 outputs on it they will all be available in Cubase, even if you only have 2 of them connected up to anything (i.e. your speakers). In that case the other 6 outputs are just visual clutter - until you decide you want to send something to an external effect you’ve borrowed or whatever. The place you control which output channels Cubase uses is in the VST Connecions setup. The key is that Cubase can access all the available inputs and outputs that your audio interface has, but Cubase will only be able to use those inputs and outputs that you enable in VST connections. But you can save different setups as presets and change them as needed on a project by project basis.

Group tracks/channels are used for internal audio signal routing. They can receive audio from any audio source except an audio input channel. This means in the mixers routing section you can’t select an input source for a group channel. The only way to get audio to a group channel is for another audio channel to send its output there. So you can send the output of regular audio tracks, VSTi’s, FX channels, and even other group channels to a group channel. This provides a very flexible scheme where you can do complex routing. But that said, the most common use is for creating sub-mixes. For example sending five backing vocals to a group channel where you’ve inserted a compressor and also have a send going to a reverb.

Cubase has a bunch of different channel types and taking a good look in the manual at how they are different and similar is pretty beneficial.

Thank you for that elaborated explanation!

Exactly what I needed/wanted them to be.

I read through the Cubase-manual some years ago, though it would be useful to re-read it. It’s just that reading stuff about the technical side of music-production, kind of takes the fun out of it, you know…

True, that’s why taking it in small chunks on topics of current interest works best. Check out pages 40-41 for a summary with pointers to specific details.

It’s “busses” not “buses”. Get a grip you amateurs. :slight_smile:

Oh my you’d have a heart attack if you saw what I write without spell check.

Me two!..oh wait…

Thanks dude