Slate Digital VBC VST3 bug

Thanks PG; I did use the search function - not there. ‘Force plugin detection at next launch’ did the trick. Because Waves uses the Waveshell, the program doesn’t automatically see recent additions.

Fly Studio wrote:
Hmm, are you sure the VST3 VTM is still not rendering? I just used it on several clips in a montage and it seemed to work.

It might be a bit different in the montage, but the main usage for me (Master Slots), it isn’t rendering. Recently tested the most current version (public beta for AAX, with the shrinkable GUI, v1.1.3.x). I’m about to get in touch with the Steinberg support about this bug.

I will try it in the clip and master sections at extreme settings to confirm whether and where it is working, and report back here. I am also using the newest beta, using VST3.

What’s happening (currently), is that the plugins do work in realtime. But after rendering in WL (no matter which SRC!), the settings are being ignored (i.e. Compressor settings). The only thing that is happening, is some sort of slight volume and phase shift. So the signal can’t be nulled anymore. Which confirms, that “something” is happening - it’s just that the major settings are being ignored, and the signal is not being processed.

This might be the makeup gain & mix function processing, but not the compression, which seems in line with my guess that the comp section is separate from the output section. I also experienced renders that were boosted but not compressed. I think the VBC has auto makeup gain from the compression that won’t render if the compression section stops working; thus the level boost is not ridiculous… just the makeup gain, mix, and tube - transformer modeling at work. This would make sense, since any Mix function that doesn’t include the ‘artifacts’ would cause severe phase cancellation. Inclusion of a ‘mix’ feature and careful reading of the VBC manual suggests that the non-linear modeling is (for the most part) separate from the compression processing - perhaps the compressor activity generates values that are fed into separate tube - transformer - phase shift sections, allowing both mixable 1:1 processing and dynamic non-linear behavior. Just a guess though. (To paraphrase: The ‘RED’ has the output transformer effect on a ‘drive’ knob… the tube circuit path in the MU colors the signal even at 1:1… analog compressors have modulation, dynamic distortion, etc… they were able to bypass just the artifacts…). Other clues to this theory are scattered throughout the manual. If true, this design paradigm may be one reason Slate can’t easily fix the problems we are having.

Not good maybe but 100% compliant with the vst3 spec. Moreover this behavior is very necessary for plugins with strong link between GUI and process like an fft realtime analyzer. Many vst3 plugins from many companies behave like this.

This might explain why the Izotope Ozone EQ FFT only averages properly using the VST2 version. When using the VST3 plugin, any FFT setting other than ‘realtime’ acts like Infinite Max Peak averaging, which makes the plugin useless as an analysis tool. Shame, as I have carefully captured snapshots from a range of styles for basic mastering reference. Mentioned in another recent thread re: Izotope problems with Wavelab 8.

I recently began installing only the VST3 plugin versions; I may have to go back and include the VST2.4 versions for the problematic plugins. Not a plus for people like me with SSD drives for OS.