Dongle Durability

This is good advice, I did that to mine after it cracked 4 years ago, although I didn’t “gaff the * out of it”, has been good ever since.

The idea from Curteye is not bad. I was thinking something similar myself to increase the robustness

• Pot the dongle in clear acrylic! :wink:

… actually, my wife is into pottery … might be an untapped market … :laughing:

Hi John,

I actually had an elastic band around it for the last 6 x months.

Paul

My current “permanent” installation …

This (above) was posted last year. I am wondering then if I have Dongle v.2 and that v.3 may be more sturdy? My current Dongle was purchased around Feb 2013. Its also plastic and purple in colour.

Thanks Curteye,

Well I was actually wondering about that possibility. So you mean buy TWO dongles but keep one safe tucked away? I did not know if you could register all your licensors TWICE (ie on two dongles). Obviously you could only use one dongle at a time but that’s not a problem at all.

Yes, quite. I would rather pay once for a robust model than twice for el-cheapo.

No you can’t he means buying 2 licenses :wink:

Hi Strphoid,

Sorry, you mean I can not buy two dongles and register all my licensors to them ?? Ta.

all of mine have cracks. I think I have 3. They all have lived behind the computer plugged directly in.

You can buy an extra dongle to keep in reserve, and if/when the one in use breaks, corrupts or gets lost, you can transfer all your licenses over. - But you probably know this. :wink:

I’m possibly missing a cynical joke here, but otherwise you’d have to admit that it would be difficult to transfer a license from a lost or broken eLicenser device…

There’s another option, though, for those users who still have the “25 hours All Application” demo license that came with certain products:
Keep a spare USB-eLicenser and transfer that demo license to the spare one. In case the eLicenser in use gets lost, the spare USB-eLicenser will provide a 25 hours usage time period while you sort things out…

Thanks for clarifying Brihar.

Hi Dirk,

I think I still have this option on my Windows 8 PC. But not on my Windows 7 (which is the one I had problems with).

Ta.

Paul

I understand that one can perhaps not do this completely on one’s own (requiring perhaps a support request) , but I have been given to understand that this transfer of licences from dongle to dongle is possible over the’ My Steinberg’ site.
Am I wrong - or what is meant by …sort things out…?
Please explain, as I intend to buy Wave lab but put the license on my Cubase dongle, and keep the one received with Wave lab in reserve.

This is exactly what I do.

Aloha D,

Not completely broken as in; ‘does not work at all’ but more like the shell
is starting to crack etc.

And for those who do not???

{‘-’}

You can transfer licenses easily by drag and drop. Just plug them both in the same computer and open the license control center ( or whatever it is called) and transfer them between dongles. But I have not tried it with the demo license.

Same here. Really wondering how these people treat their dongles in order to make them crack and disintegrate.

Hi John,

That’s great to know if it works !! Steinberg told me that you had to manually enter each Activation Code. But in any case, I will have to try one of the other method because now the bottom of the cheap plastic casing has also fallen off !!

Paul

Mine came out of the box with a crack, but been using it for a couple of years now and the crack hasn’t grown.