normalize in cubase

Hi everybody,
is there some function in cubase 7.5 similar to the wavelab meta normalizer?
thanx,
arfo

Audio / Process / Normalize

p306 of the manual

Thank you, mbr
I know about the normalize function…
I asked about the meta normalize function; my previous post, line 2 :slight_smile:

arfo

sorry !

nope not that I know of

Hi Afro

Is that a “batch” nomaliser? if it is you could set up a Macro, even if it is a combination of normalisation functions you could probably make a macro to do it…otherwise I haven’t a clue as I don’t use Wavelab :confused:

Best Regards

Dave

you’re welcome :slight_smile:

not exactly (or maybe yes?.. :confused: ) the meta normalizer is used to adjust the average loudness of a certain numbers of songs to avoid big differences when played one after the other , like in a cd…

arfo

Cubase doesn’t have meta normalizer that I know of.

You are correct, it is used mostly to “even out” the overall level of multiple tracks when assembling them in the Wavelab Montage.

Honestly, I have never had very good results with it. It gets you in the ball park, but there is no substitute for listening in a mastering room with good speakers when you want to adjust overall levels. The times I have used it, I had to adjust all tracks anyway.

I am a Sound Forge user and when I burn a cd of my stuff I use CD Architect where you can normalise and alter the volume of each individual track. I am afraid that I am not familiar with Wavelab but it sounds like a similar function. Unfortunately it has to take place outside Cubase, as it (Cubase) is not an editing suite. :frowning:

Select all events you want (its quite similar to the meta function in WL)
then (rightclick) Audio > Process > Normalize
if you need this function multiple times, you can create a marco/shortcut.
:slight_smile:
the advantage over Wavelab is that each audio event has its own effect order
(and each processed effect within can be edited/deleted/reversed later - if necessary)
:sunglasses:

Thank you greggy,

you’re right; probably the ‘tune by tune’ method is the best but sometime the faster is better…
I’m not a pro engineer so when I have to do build a demo the metanormalizer could be a useful function even if I wouldn’t buy wave lab only for that…

you can do the same in cubase too; cubase is not mainly a mastering sw but it can be used for that like any other pro sw (I know a guy using digital performer for mastering usually working with great artists…)

I’m afraid you’re wrong… :confused: Metanormalizing applies to rms average values, normalizing is for peaks so you only increase volumes but the differences remain the same…

Thank you all :slight_smile:

arfo

There is no function to easily match the loudness of a number of songs in cubase, but you can do it manually using the integrated value of the loudness meter. If each song matches the same integrated value on this meter then they will be perceived at about the same loudness.

Steinberg used to have a commercial product called Clean which did this function very well. I also believe Magix Cleaning Lab (very inexpensive) does this.
I understand Wavelab no longer supports this function.

It now has the Loudness Meta Normalizer which does a similar thing.

Super! :wink:

you can do the same in cubase too; cubase is not mainly a mastering sw but it can be used for that like any other pro sw (I know a guy using digital performer for mastering usually working with great artists…)
[/quote]

Well I probably should have said that CD Architect can produce a Red Book Master CD. Which to the best of my knowledge Cubase can’t. You can match the levels/loudness of each track, track numbering and gaps together with text etc.

I was just browsing this old topic, but realized obviously these days you can just multi select clips, and hit normalize. There will be a LUFS option and the result will be a “meta normalization” to a desired integrated level value, on the respective individual audio parts

Hi @MachineAgeVoodoo,
thank you for answering, anyway, :slightly_smiling_face:
Art