Dongle Durability

If it was durable and reliable it would be worth paying up to £100 for.

Aloha M

IMHO not at all.

Great idea.

Keep ‘um’ coming.
{‘-’}

Hi again,

Really stuck now as I think my eLisencor has failed !! I can’t get anything out of it ??

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Paul,

the third image shows the issue: the Soft-eLicenser is no longer valid.
This happens when installing a new system using an image or when upgrading to Windows 8.1 from 8 (due to the system ID changing).

As you need to force the creation of new Soft-eLicenser, the solution is the same as when the system cannot create a SeL upon installation:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/program-installation-does-not-create-a-soft-elicenser/

If you have any licenses on the Soft-eLicenser, please let me know via PM, we’ll sort it out.

kind regards,

I use this and have done on all my dongles , also remember that the pins in the dongle get bend or loose after a while so you just need to squeeze the other metal contact together and they work fine …

This tapes frigging brilliant

Thanks G-String,

I will take a look ta.

Though I am thinking I should by a new dongle and start again (as hopefully a replacement wont fall apart like my last two have). Then I could use your tape on the new dongle from the beginning.

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Fabio,

Than you for viewing my uploaded screenshots today.

I am going to phone Steinberg this afternoon (about a couple of ongoing issues which have hopefully been ironed out), and I will mention this to them (and also your kind advice). To be honest, I may just purchase a new dongle because my current one is slightly cracked (and feels very loose) even though I have an elastic band around it.

I updated from Windows 8 to 8.1 in December and the dongle worked fine (in this respect) up until this week !!

Best,

Paul

Is your dongle in that a bad state that the tape won’t secure it ?
Ive had 4 dongles so far , one of them the case completely fell off but this tape sorted it and even made it bouncy lol

GS,

If I took the band off both upper and lower plastics would fall off !!

Paul

Hi Fabio,

Yes, I installed ISO Disc Images recently for Cubase. Must have been what the issue was.

Steinberg took remote-access of my PC today and resolved it for me because I wanted to make sure that the problem would definitely get corrected.

I was also informed that Steinberg may be releasing a new dongle (maybe early next year) which is going to do the same job but much smaller in size.

Best,

Paul

That is soooo kool.

@ Fabio
I recently posted that question (and thanks for your answer)

and now wonder if the same or similar can be done with Cubase Mac users who are having issues?

TIA (thanks in advance)
{‘-’}

Yes, I have spoken to the tech support team and had beyond an EXCELLENT service each time. Not that I ever would, but this is one reason why I would never use ‘crack’ copies of software (and I am offered it all the time by musician friends all over the world). When something goes wrong you have nobody to turn to. :open_mouth:

1.5 years

Nice duct tape but now you can’t see the little red led!

That Rescue Tape is terrific stuff . I bought it 6-7 years ago at a boat show after seeing one of those miracle live demos. However, this actually worked the same way after I brought it home. My dongle is now 10 years old. Most of the damages occurred each time I had to swing the desktop PC to gain access to the back. It sticks out beyond the case so it is the first thing to get whacked.

I may need to activate the spare I bought 4-5 years later. My mouse receiver is 1/4" thick… You never even see it in the port

Actually with the right light is possible to see the red led

:laughing:

:confused: so much money in there…

Hi Paul,

glad it worked out - thank you for the feedback.

Just to avoid confusion: I was talking about using an image of the OS (a backup), as imaging the computer needs a new Soft-eLicenser number due to a different system ID (but the old SeL is actually retained in the back-up). Using the ISO images to install Cubase is the recommended way to do it.
[Edit: Fixed not really clear statement]

@ curteye: yes, we can access both Windows and Mac machines. But what we can do on the two platforms is pretty different.

Cheers,

knuckle47 said “It sticks out beyond the case so it is the first thing to get whacked.”

I always use a short USB extension lead so that that my dongle dangles (phnar phnar) - it can’t get snapped off. :cry:

You mean like a lead where the dongle plugs into, and you then rest the dongle in a safe place where it cant get knocked ?? I did not know such a thing existed, but it sounds very useful.

If you’re using a desktop, you can get PCIe USB cards that have an internal USB connector, put the Steinberg Key into that, job sorted. For laptops it’s more difficult, and I think it’s something Steinberg really need to address seeing as almost everybody uses laptops these days, even if only as a second computer. I managed to put a spare Steinberg Key inside a netbook a few years ago, but it wasn’t easy and required disassembly of both the key and the netbook, as well as some soldering. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Thanks Sound Man,

Yes, both of my PC’s are laptops.

Paul