[Issue] Video service is currently not responsive

i have the same problems in 32Bit version of 6.0.7

http://www.hamburg-sounddesign.de/Nuendo/1.jpg
http://www.hamburg-sounddesign.de/Nuendo/2.jpg

MacPro 2010, 2,8 Ghz Quad, 6GB RAM, Nuendo 6.0.x

it´s not so cool if you earn your money with Soundediting and your DAW is Buggy

You can use videoslave to have video in sync with Nuendo. It works pretty well

I generally like the idea of users finding workarounds for their daw problems, but I want the video in the timeline and I want to ne able to use the adr features within Nuendo.
Luckyly I don’t get this while I work, only when I open up Nuendo for the first time after booting, and only in 64 bits.

is this solved in 6.5?

Who knows :slight_smile:

Using n6.0.7 on 3 macs (10.7 10.8 and 10.9) x32 and x64.
Everyday since N6 has been released. We saw that a couple times, but it’s pretty rare…
What type of video formats do you use ? What video cards ?
Would it be possible that it’s a QuickTime related problem ? And maybe more present on windows than osx ??
Also, we stick to eucontrol 3.1 where eucontrol needed. Crap dev since avid took over…
Not saying it’s not a problem but as long as some configs seem to be more problematic than others, I really wonder where it comes from…
Especially when you see that video in protools 10 works very good and is a total mess in protools 11 !!!

This issue happens in my systems even with no video involved. It’s more likely to happen when the program is idle for a while.

Really strange… I frequently leave Nuendo opened for a long period of idle, and it never occurs…
With system specs similar as yours !
Did you have a chance to test N6 on a core ix or a very recent Xeon config ?
I suspect a conflict with the qt API and some motherboard hardware…

I have the same issue in my mid 2012 MacBook Air

I was expecting that, I’m afraid ;-(
Now that’s very strange.
Do you confirm that this is C7/N6 cycle exclusive ?
OS independent, it must have something to do with the revamped video engine…
In the other hand, it works quite well in mavericks, even if it’s AVfoundation and not QT in the background…
It does appears with a blank session, right ? Not a particular one ?

Yes, it’s just in N6/C7 with no reason. It happens in Mavericks too

Okay so I tend to think the new video engine (to adjust to apple new paradigm for av foundation) is faulty here, or at least not reliable…
What I don’t get is why it happens a lot for some and not at all for others (cannot be blind luck…)
Fingers crosse for N6.5 ;(

Antonio, seeing on an other subject your setup with Ram, I think it’s really possible to be the source of you video unresponsive problem. The only machine where we saw the problem had 8Gb. Never intended for that but all machines run now 32Gb of ram. Never a problem again.
Especially with mavericks which almost forces you to a minimum of 16Gb for serious pro software.
Even with the ram question solved, you’re still stuck with an old gpu on macpro3,1. Way outdated if n6.5 uses gpgpu, which is not for sure. So you can still have sluggishness due to the gpu, but that remains to be seen.
It may seem like a long shot, but it could explain why some have video unresponsive and others not.
Anyone with huge ram amount having video unresponsive issues ???

Right now I’m looking for a +8 GB RAM upgrade, but the video card upgrade seems like a good idea too. The problem here is that Mac Pro video card are very expensive. In fact, the one I have is not the “stock” version. It was changed to support the Cinema Display long time ago. I’m considering to sell everything and buy a new Mac Pro, but it will force me to change a lot of things around (no PCIe, etc) and to expend a big amount of money without a certainty about if that setup is going to work correctly.

Exactly ! I’m a geek always happy to play with new stuff, but here it’s not the time for that.
It’s gonna cost you really a lot. Plus imho, the new macpro is really interesting with 8core at least, 32gb ram and the D500 config for serious daw. Thinking of going 12-core next year…
Next year because of thunderbolt 3 coming and still not many TB 1 sound cards. No way to go for FireWire with adapters.
It’s never been a question of connection speed, but latency. And I would trust adapters on that matter…
BLACKMAGIC or Aja for video in TB is already a go, but there still is the mass storage problem…
Really huge amount I money… ;-(
Maybe another gpu for now ? Just to see if it’s better.
I would wait N6.5 though to test all N5 - 6 - 6.5 with your actual setup, then with more ram, and then with another gpu in despair…

Yes, 24gb RAM on a MacPro 5,1 on OSX Mountain Lion. Sometimes weeks without any problem, but the problem returns every time. Most of the time it happens within running a session, but lately also when archiving projects, when I select ‘back up video’, I get the video service error.

Alan

So… Not ram-only related… Bad news for Antonio ;-(
Might be worth to try and replace the videoengine.bundle with an “old” one from pre 6.0.3 version.
But even though, I don’t quite get why some people have so many problems, and some other not with similar setups…

Well, I’ve just ordered 16 Gb more :slight_smile:

Hi there,

I have now 22 GB RAM and I’m working only in SSD drives. This are my impressions:

1st. The EuCon bug is still here, but sometimes Nuendo does not crash in Mountain Lion but it always does it in Mavericks. (WTF)
2nd. The system seems more reliable. Almost no crashes.
3rd. Video service problem is even worse. Now I have CRASHES in the video engine module (see the activity monitor). I found that all my CPU peaks are related to it.

And now, the good news. How I solved the the video service issue:

Copy the videoengine.bundle from inside your 5.5.x installation (Nuendo 5.5.app/Contents/Components) to your N 6 components folder (you should rename the older one to something else to avoid overwriting).

Everything is now stable, no issues, no CPU peaks. The bad side of the fix is that you’re going to lose the video thumbnail cache, but it’s a small problem for a great benefit.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

So far after about a week with your “fix,” Antonio, it’s been working. I’ve only had one crash, but it wasn’t a video service issue (at least no warning popped up). I’ve switched between video projects all day and not had one lock up. Nice going. I wound up copying the N6 app and renaming it “Nuendo 6 Improved.” I replaced that videoengine.bundle. So now in my dock I have Nudendo 5.5, Nuendo 6, and Nuendo 6 Improved. Choices, choices.