SoundCloud Question (settings)?

I did a little experiment and BLOCKED (temporarily) the people/tracks it was recommending. And they STILL came thru !!

Might be time to change the repository where you have your songs on the Net. YouTube comes to mind, though I hate the ads they now have. There also used to be a competitor to SoundCloud but for the life of me I cannot think of what it was…

Another idea might be to post the sound files up on a Google drive. Not sure how that would work out, but might be worth investigating.

Take care,
LB

Hi Lbro,

Yeh, maybe you are right. And yes, the bloody 30 x adverts on You Tube are a head wreck !!

Here’s a list of the others I am on (if the one you are thinking of might be here) :-

Band Camp

My Space

Beat Port

Mix Cloud

Sound Click

Reverb Nation

Musician Profile

Hum,
That is a good list of repositories. But I do not think it is there, I do not know as it was back about 3 years ago. I would have to take hard look at the Google drive to see how much ads they might have and how it would work out. Probably not as seamless as SoundCloud, but then it might be better in the area you are talking about and maybe the ads. If I get a chance I will take a look. One thing is for sure, I think Google gives you a good amount of disk space to fill up.

LB

Thanks man.

Yes, that’s another thing about soundcloud, you only get about 60 x mins. Unless you go Pro, which costs about 5 quid per month!

Paul

I did a quick flyby of Google Drive. You get 15 gigs, but it also works off you email account. In other words if you have 5 GB of email you would only have 10 GB of drive space. But man that is a lot of room. Not many ads at all and I posted a MP3 file up there and it worked fine. Now the bad part, I do not think there is a way to share out to the public. It looks like you need to email everyone an invite. That will not work.

Another thought I had was that most ISP providers give you some space up on the web for free. One would have to check out what is there and if it works well for sound files. I think some give you a couple GB of space maybe. At least 200 MB I would hope. Maybe not though, but check it out as it might work well and be the solution.

LB

Well I love answering my own posts-NOT.

At any rate I did some more checking and there is a sharing scheme for “anyone with the link can see it and access it - no password needed!”.

So my friend, if you do not have a Google account, make one, then set up your drive. One nice feature is that you can prevent others from downloading the files they have access to. If I find an MP3 to post I will put one up and then post a link here so you can see it.

LB

Ta man,

Will check it all out in the morning.

I am on Google (plus) if that’s what you mean (as monsterjazzlicks) .

Ta,

Paul

Yes, I do believe Google+ will do it. Sign into that account and try going to googledrive.com . Oh and before I forget there is another permission setting that allows you to make it public so that anyone on the net can find it and access the file.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
LB

Ta mate,

I just installed it. I think it ‘syncs’ to your PC so maybe everything uploads automatically. I am not sure though so will need to check. Personally, I would prefer sync to be Off.

Cheers,

Paul

Not sure Paul about turning it off. But I can tell you I never loaded their app on my PC. Yet I was able to upload individual files just fine and do all other functions too. I think the deal you loaded is meant to back the PC up to cloud possibly. Not sure as again, I do not run anything.

The only thing I am not sure of with Google drive is the sharing out of say a folder of songs. Can you give one web URL link and the users will then be able to see all the songs? Pretty sure it can be done, just never did it.

Take care and enjoy Google drive, hope it works out for you.
LB

Hi LBro,

I just uploaded a file to test is out. You can share with anyone (public), with people who have the link (as I have done here), or privately (where you need a password). If someone could test it out for me please that would be excellent.

Yes, you can have up to 15GB for free !! I think You Send It and Drop Box only give you 2GB.

I downloaded the desktop installer but then uninstalled it. Its really for if you want to upload complete folders worth of stuff (for BACK UP !), and for this you also need (it seems) Google Chrome. I only really want to upload a few Cubase tracks here and there. And m happy to do them one at a time cause they all last not longer than a couple of mins max.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByepppzJGXGedDR4azFYdFl5ekE/edit?usp=sharing

(“Third Thursday In May” - Seaman 2014).

Ta,

Paul

1 Like

Hum,
Well not sure it is working or set up the way you or I would want. When I go to your link it says “NO PREVIEW AVAILABLE” - Download? So what this means is you can only download the offering and cannot just leave it up in the cloud and play it. Also, it is unclear what will happen if there are multiple files up there? Will one be shown a directory or menu so they can pick the file they want?

But yeah the lure of 15 GB worth of space is intriguing!

LB

Correct. You can’t ‘preview’ or try before you buy !! You have to just download it and then play/read/watch them. So if I was to send you a link to a folder which had (say) 10 x songs in, you could not listen to them until you downloaded them. And if all my songs were a load of S###, then you will have wasting 20 x mins downloading !! lol

I will try and upload a couple more and see if I can whack them into a single folder…

Paul

Paul,
You make the folder first, then navigate to there. When I did this I then dragged and dropped the file right into that spot or folder. Worked good.

I am wondering if one were to put the security permissions to say “full public” and use smaller files like MP3 (though the sound quality will suffer some), if maybe you could see all the files and “preview” them or listen without download? That really is how it should work. I know my daughter uploaded a ton of pictures for the family and did it in such a way that you could see all the pics. Oh I just thought of something, I wonder what happens if you set the permission to “no download”? Would it then allow one to do the preview?

LB

You have a very creative mind !! lol :ugeek:

Will try all of this out now…

I have created a folder with two tracks in. 1 x wav, 1 x mp3.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByepppzJGXGeQlBHajQyX1BGUWc&usp=sharing

Maybe you can preview the mp3 because it will be small. And maybe that’s why your daughter could view uploaded pics because they are also small.

(I just checked. Yes you can preview mp3, but NOT wav.).

And here are the same two audio files in a PRIVATE folder :-

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByepppzJGXGedkZqMnc5QXBqTm8&usp=sharing

I don’t think you will be able to access this private one though. If you want to share a PRIVATE folder it seems that this can only be done by sharing it via email (you add their email address to the list), and can not be done via pasting a ‘link’.

Ah I see you figured out that by creating a folder and sharing it, all the contents will show up! Now that is the way it should work and does. I am not sure if a WAV is the villain in not being able to “preview” the file. It is possible it is due to size. Maybe over 10 MB or some other threshold it prevents the preview? Well good deal, I know where I will be sharing my files from in the future as this deal is almost too good to be true.

Are you going to switch to posting your stuff up to Google Drive?

LB

(added another link to the above post).

I will have to try out VIDEOS before I make up my mind as to whether or not I will use Goole Drive exclusively.

Heres the SoundCloud ‘segue play’ disable download !! :-