Can you Change the Tuning of Cubase?

If i actually play in A=440 and put a pitch shift plugin on the master output that detunes by -31,8 semitones I will hear in A=432hz, isn’t it?

That sounds pretty convenient?

31,8 semitones… isn’t that like (almost) 21 complete tones… and thus about 2 octaves? Which would be nog 440 hz, but 110 hz?

There is not one tuning that is Pythagorean tuning. 432hZ would be using D as base note. It’s a type of Just intonation. So you would need to retune for every key you are playing in. There are some plug ins that do this by sending pitch change information to each single tone of many many grouped mono synth plugins so you can control each individual pitch. It’s not a very user friendly system. This is how you have to deal with alternate tunings usually. There is that one modern tuning systenm where the scale adjusts automatically based on the intervals played-I forget what it’s called and can’t happen in the real world but only with software. Begins with “H”…

Yes, begins with H, Hermode Tuning. But Cubase’s implementation is locked at A=440.

Tuning temperaments is very deep stuff, and well beyond the scope of Cubase itself, I have learned.

Kontakt sampler (through 3rd party software, and Windows only) and Plogue Aria Player support Scala files, with which you can create your own temperaments, and Kontakt has its built in and user tunings, and the base note and tuning can be controlled with midi CCs. Halion allows tuning of individual pitches also.

Hermode Tuning in Cubase does work though, as long as the VSTi supports Steinberg microtuning messages. Halion and Halion Sonic SE do.

There’s also the included Micro Tuner Plugin :wink:

The limitations I described also apply to that module, of course.

Once again Steve doesn’t know what he’s rambling about. Kontakt has always been cross-platform Win and Mac.

Also take a look at the Micro Tuner MIDI effect. Page 169 in the “Plug-in Reference” PDF.

How insulting and unecessary, Svenne. What I said was that to use Scala files in Kontakt is possible through a 3rd party app that is Windows only. I’m referring to 12equalboresme.com

:blush: Steve is one of the helpful and with lot of knowledge in cubase ,daws and music in general in this forum. Also he is one of the polite and kind man in here, maybe you"svenne" wrote it in rush ,but it is insulting somehow and Embarrassing !!!

1 Like

That may be, but he’s also on a Windows jihad. He doesn’t miss a chance to bash the OS he doens’t agree with! Just look at his postings for the facts.

Perhaps you consider it helpful to spread lies and misinformation. I don’t!

Already mentioned that earlier.

It seems pretty obvious on whose shoulder some kind of chip sits. Where is this attack coming from? :confused:
Hats off Steve on your Promotion by the way :wink:

Looks like it is you on a platforms war here. Please, stop this.

It also looks like you are mistaking Steve for someone else, and… Steve is a Mac user, just look at his signature.

Thanks Svenne for the tip: i did Search “Steveinchicago” and once again i learned some new tricks from his posts :laughing:
also i noticed how many thanks he gots from users ! i really think u mistaken with other Steve !?! ( or maybe not)

anyway all is good. congrats Steve for your promotion ! :wink:

Thank you guys for your kind words. Let’s get back on topic, if there’s anything more to be said about Pythagorean tuning! :wink:

I didn’t catch you up guys…sorry.

So is there any convenient way in Cubase to compose in 432hz?

There are cents I think actually not semitones.

Steve,
You mentioned that Halion allows tuning of individual pitches. I don’t own the full version, and I work extensively in alternate tunings. In my situation, I am still working with common diatonic scales-just not Western tuning-and my octaves are not set to a specific ration. For example, I have C2 +2, C3 0, C4 -9, etc. In other words, I need each specific note to be able to have the cents adjusted. Currently, I just sample the note and play the note back with a sampler in Reason. Then I’m able to have one sampler with polyphony. I’d really love to be able to work with a soft-synth with this capability so I can use different sounds more easily. When I looked into this a couple years ago, the only thing I found was some alternate tuning plugin where I would have to have an individual synth for each note and then the plugin basically just sent each pitch to it’s specific synth. This was the only way to get polyphony and is obviously not very user friendly and pretty CPU intensive.

Is there now an easier way to do this?

Halion has a Midi Module called “Tuning Scale” using this in Notes Mode you can tune each of the 127 midi notes separately.

There’s a Halion trial available: Try HALion Now for 30 Days | Steinberg

Hello, Sorry to post to a very old tread, but for anyone wanting to know how to use 432hz Pythagorean concert A tuning here’s how I did it in my own recordings.

The guitar tuner in Cubase is able to be set to 432hz to do this add the Tuner VST plugin to your guitar track and then open it up and look on the right side were it is showing Base: 440hz, double click it and change it to 432, now you will be able to tune your guitar to 432hz. You can also put the tuner on your master track if you don’t want to bother with each individual track.

Halion Sonic look for the section title Voice/Pitch and change the Fine dial to -32 cent, you can double the value and change it without messing with the dial.

This works for Cubase AI 9 and Up, probably older versions too I don’t know.

Have a very blessed great day.

1 Like