How to get audio via USB cable?

My computer doesn’t have a midi device, neither does the sound card. I can get a USB to midi adapter, but that would still be USB on the computer end, which seems to be the problem. The “audio” driver can’t be installed, it stops with an error “no … device found”, although the MOXF8 device shows up in device list when it’s connected and powered on, and also shows up as a sound device with it’s own “line”. Generally if software generates audio data, it will go through the sound card, so for some reason the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver apparently isn’t generating audio data and I don’t see a volume slider on any audio control panel.

Using headphones plugged into the synthesizer while playing a midi file, I’m also sometimes hear clicks and pops, perhaps after 5 to 10 minutes of usage. This doesn’t seem to be a CPU usage issue, as none of the 8 “CPUS” (4 hyper threading cores) are running over 20%.

I sent a problem report to Yamaha support this weekend, but have to wait until Monday to get a response. If that doesn’t resolve it in a few days, I’ll just return the synthesizer to the store for a refund, as I only have 14 days to do a return.