Logic Pro X is out.

It is a violation of the licence to run Apple OSs and Apple OSX apps on anything but Apple hardware. Therefore the relative costs argument is relevant for those who want to operate according to the licenses purchased.

Of course, the argument is actually flawed, because Cubase does have a secondary dongle: the computer that you have to buy to run it on, just like you have to have a Mac for Logic. And for those who already have their respective computers, then Cubase is the more expensive option.

In the end, it comes down to what you want to get your head around and how much you want to pay vs how much time you want to put into it. Those three things make the issue of raw costs seem almost trivially simple.

It does not matter whether you are using your stuff professionally or as a hobbyist (and people do spend fortunes and lots of time on their hobbies), use what you can understand easily enough and that works for you effectively. It does not matter if someone else can do what you do with your stuff more cheaply with theirs, because you can work well with yours, and not theirs.

However, if one prefers Cubase to Logic, then is there really a choice, no matter the price difference (as long as it is not $Ks)? To me, something cheaper or free that I don’t really want to use is not a choice.

I think some are trying to use Logic’s price to try to leverage SB into lowering their prices. Don’t bother, SB has been dropping the price of Cubase over the years as a normal part of increasing competition and economies of scale, but it will never be free (at least not for the flagship version) as it must make money in its own right.