Groove Agent 3 (32/64bit) ?

Thanks LB,

I will have another look at it tomorrow thanks. I may make a video also.

Cheers mate,

Paul

Paul,
Do you have other plug instruments routed to an Audio track? Let me know and realize there are some good videos on YouTube that show how to set it up. If need be I can locate them and post a link?

LB

Hi LB,

Ta mate. I really appreciate that. I will make a video in the morning for you. I think that JBridge may offer a solution. I will look into downloading it. Seems that lots of these software’s need something extra to get them to work in the way they are supposed to!

Ta,

Paul

Paul,
Here is one video on how to route MIDI to an audio track. The example of how I do it starts at about 1:50 in. Now if you cannot do this it might be because ARTIST does not support it. I simply am not sure on that part. There are other videos on doing this same thing but I could not locate it at the moment. Go to this link: - YouTube

Good Luck,
LB

Hi,

I watched the video a couple of time thanks a lot. I still could not get it to work in Artist 7 but I have downloaded a ‘trial’ version of Cubase 7 to try it out with. As you say, it might possibly be a limitation within Artist but I am thinking it is more to do with a 32/64-bit confliction.

I managed to make a video myself tonight as a friend took remote-access of my PC and I we had a good look at GA3 (in 32-bit). Can’t remember if you have been following my other thread on recording videos (for You Tube) “Blue Yeti Mic”, but I am using a software called VoiceMeeter to cater for me using a headset mic/headphones, external DX27 synth and Cubase all at once (being filmed ‘live’ in Camtasia). Anyway, I have used the VoiceMeeter in this instance with GA3 :-

I also need to get the JBridge sorted which you previously mentioned…

Best,

Paul

Ok,
I might be confused as I thought you were having trouble getting your midi onto an audio track. Your excellent video showed your doing that already. What you seem to really be after is recording MIDI data. For that I would concentrate on the 32 bit version of Cubase and G3. If you take this task on in 64 bit land your really going to be up against the headwinds as that is more involved. So my advice is to get the recording of MIDI down and working prior to going onto 64 bit land.

So this might be as simple as hitting a switch in Groove Agent. To get Groove Agent 3 to produce recordable MIDI you need to do this:

1. Bring up the GA3 main GUI and in the lower right corner, click edit.
  2. In about the same area of the GUI click, setup.
  3. On the right hand side of the screen about 1/3 of the way down you will find a section called ‘Groove Agent MIDI Output’. Select the ‘Live To Host’ setting.
  4. Hit the Close button and then close again to get back to the default screen.
  5. Arm your MIDI track, start GA3 and click record on the transport.
    You should now be recording MIDI notes.

Now on your next question of being able to hit record and have it start GA3 at the same time. I know of no way to do this. However if were to put the focus (highlight) the GA3 window there might be a way with key commands or a macro to do this. There is also another way to produce MIDI and get it into Cubase. This is done in the same area where we made the switch setting to allow MIDI recordings. Instead of ‘Live To Host’ we make the selection of ‘Record To FIle’. You then start GA3 and in the window that shows bmp, fill on and off and other such info. There is an icon of an eyeball and if you hover your mouse over it, it pops up “Groove agent Record To File”. Click that after GA3 has played a while and it will write a file to your desktop. Now it has been a while but I think you used to be able to drag and drop that file on your GA3 MIDI track and boom you had MIDI. But it will not allow me to do that on this end so I tried importing it, not sure that is working either. I will play with it a bit and see if I can figure it out.

Good luck Paul!
LB

Ok, cheers LBro.

I will have a good read thru all your kind advice in the morning mate.

I am pleased I have explained everything correctly to you now and it will be easier for you to understand now that I am getting better at making videos.

Best,

Paul

Ah,
Very good then. Hey what camera are you using for the vids? Or is it all in software?

LB

I am using the free trial of Camtasia at the moment. I tried APowerSoft and Sony Vegas and also Fraps. I thought they were all bloody awful to be honest. With Camtasia comes SNAGIT which is great for stills and screenshots.

Ah, SnagIt is a great hack for making up tutorials and user guides. I used to use it many years ago in the IT industry.

Let me know how it goes with getting MIDI to record. Should be pretty easy once you turn those switches on in GA3.

LB

Paul,
The second method of getting GA3 midi into a Cubase track is simple and works with both 32 bit and 64 bits setups. I also found my imported files at the bottom of a many track project. So once you have the file on the desktop you simply import it into Cubase (File/Import/MIDI File…) and it will go to the bottom of your track list in an automated newly created track, per import. Or in other words every time you do an import it will create a new MIDI track and place it at the bottom of all your tracks in the project.

Hope that makes sense and helps. If not ask questions!

LB

Paul,
I just read through this thread again, are you still running Cubase Artist 32 bit ? This is important because without jBridge GA3 simply WILL NOT record direct MIDI into Cubase 64, no matter if it is Artist or the full version of the program.

Let me know,
LB

Hi LBro,

The You Tube video was in 32-bit Cubase Artist. And I have not tried anything out in 64-bit as yet simply because Steinberg Support told me GA3 will not function in it (Artist 7.5 64-bit), period. Their advice was to definitely upgrade to Cubase FULL (I think it was about £250 when I last price checked) and then I would certainly be able to use GA3 (by using the procedure of Export/Import as previously discussed). But it did not work when I tried it many times. So either it is not possible, or I am doing something wrong in the process of Exporting/Importing the Midi File. It absolutely won’t work in Cubase 7 FULL.

Paul

Ok Got you and good that your are sticking with the 32 bit setup for now.

Now then, what does not work? That is pretty vague. Is the MIDI file created on your desktop? I looked at the GA3 docs and they are not real clear on how to do this. Or they are old and not up to date with latest version of GA3 as they never even talked about the eyeball/eyelid icon on the main page that actually is the step that creates the file. Or if it is in the docs possibly I missed it, but I do not think so. Thus I should probably create a video for you. Hum, another way to help you would be with TeamViewer. Whereby with remote control I could show you on your computer how to do it. Let me know if you want to try such a thing.

LB

I got a reply from Joao @ JBridge regarding multi-PC installation :-

Hi, Paul.

Thanks for your interest.

The license is per user, not per machine, so it’s perfectly OK to use it
in all of your machines. > :slight_smile: > Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Kind regards,

Joao

That’s a very kind and welcomed offer thank you. I will be free over the weekend if you want to take remote access. I am in the UK but not sure where abouts you are based regarding a time-zone ?

My Skype is ‘monsterjazzlicks’ (as I have two PC’s so can video chat whilst you take remote-access on my Cubase PC), and also I have Team Viewer already installed. My ID is ‘879 997 143’.

Hi Paul,
At the moment I do not have Skype installed. Well though that might be the easy way to check things out is with TeamViewer. I am pretty free this weekend too. I live in the US in the Seattle area. We are running into each other a lot as I see your posts come across in email. I got your ID but would still need the password. You could PM me with it and then set a time to meet up. I will get a world clock and see what time it is over there. I know it is or think it is night time for you now? I will take a look around and see about installing Skype.

My knowledge of Cubase is so so, but I have spent a lot of time messing with GA3. I still like the plug for a quick set of drums in Cubase, but also have Superior Drummer and am getting some pretty good Drum Tones out of that package. I will keep you posted on Skype. Voice is something TeamViewer should add. But it is nice they make it available for free.

LB

Hi LBro,

Skype is free and very easy to install (as I am sure you will already know).

The passwords for Team Viewer REFRESH every 60 x mins and so they are never the same. And as far as I remember, if your TV session runs over this duration you have to stop, refresh the password, and reconnect again. Though I don’t think I have ever had a TV session which has run over 60 x mins as yet. I was told this is from a ‘security’ point of view.

I think the UK will be around 6 x hours ahead of you in the US more or less.

Cheers,

Paul

Downloaded free ‘trial’ of JBridger :wink:

It is one of the best hacks I have ever seen. Steiny is crazy for not adding it into Cubase. But like I said, for right now we should focus on getting your present setup in 32 bit land working. Once that is going well, we can fire up jBridge.

I have one plug that is a 1.0 version and is called Broomstick Bass. It is super unstable and buggy as all get out. I think it runs better under 64 bit Cubase and jBridge than it ever did on it’s own as a 32 bit plug. jBridge is probably worth about $100 US for what it does. Imagine a person that has lots of 32 bit plugs and can’t use them on a 64 bet setup. If that is the case then jBridge is a Godsend and cheap at that.

LB