Suitable Drum VSTi Player (help?)

Good point lbro44.
The sounds are good for composition within jamstix, but mostly you dont want to use them in a song :wink:
I use jamstix as my drummer triggering an external vsti (directly or with midi-export) like GA, Maschine, EZdrummer and so on.

Thanks for your observations. I visited the website but overlooked that aspect (I was concentrating on the tutorials etc). Maybe Voodoo can offer some light on this…

So you only use it (Jamstix) to create the song-structure and patterns etc, and then use it to play different Drum VSTi’s ? Is that because you prefer the patterns on Jamstix but prefer the drum-samples in other VSTi libraries ?

Jamstix is very good in creating unheared patterns. So i use jamstix to create patterns mostly. Not all the time and in every song, but Jamstix can create very human drumpatterns or parts of a drumpattern like the hihat-track.

But the sounds from jamstix are mostly not good enough for an actual production. You can use them for sketching the song or jamming. But after all you will use an external sound to finish a song.

Ok Voodoo, I understand now mate ! Cheers.

Well it does look good in action and from what you say the manipulation of drum patterns is what it really excels at. Yet I wonder if a guy starting out with possibly limited funds might be better off with a VST drum package that includes good samples and a reasonable drum pattern editor? Kind of like the idea in this scenario where you end up with a complete package. Then down the road one could add jamstix if they felt the need to do so. I am tempted to buy one of the bare bone starter packages of jamstix and see what it can do. Thanks Voodoo for the recommendation.

LB

Well, the TO was happy with the ga3-sounds. He was searching for patterns and variations. Its no problem to trigger ga3 from jamstix. At least it wasnt a problem with ga1.
While there are many vsti with patterns out there, i found it very boring to browse these pattern and prelisten them. And often you are not very happy with them. And thats the jamstix-playground. Its not for everyone, but worth to try the demo.

This is true, as there are some decent sounds in GA3. For not a ton of money he could use Jamstix as a good front end to produce or trigger just like you say. I might look into it with just that in mind. Will it produce recordable MIDI patterns? I know what you mean about searching through endless patterns looking for just the right groove! So I like the you describe how Jamstix works. I have to look again and see if there is a demo.

Thanks,
LB

Hum,
Found the demo but it is pretty cut back in capability. I will take a look at it in the morning and get a feel for it. To bad the demo is not a full version with a time bomb. Then at least you could really kick the tires and go for a ride. Thanks Voodoo for you excellent descriptions and explanations!

I found this Sound On Sound review of Jamsticks here:

I think I am going to get the $99 version and use it just like Voodoo does, as a trigger for other drum machines.
LB

Do you think it will work ok with Cubase, GA3, Jamstix and JBridge all running together ? :question:

This is a duplicate ‘link’ of the one posted in my GA3 thread (Groove Agent 3 (32/64bit) ? - Groove Agent - Steinberg Forums [should anyone wish to view it]).

I made the video this morning if it helps anyone define the type of Drum VSTi I am ultimately looking for :-

Have to let you know on this one as there is a bit of a learning curve to JS. I have it partially working in Cubase right now.

LB

Ok, good work! Did you purchase the $99 version or download the ‘trial’?

I have enough stuff to be getting my head around (like my poor old DX7 synth !!) so I will wait and see how you get on with it.

Appreciate your continued help and advice.

Bloody hell, what this guy does not know about EZ Drummer, nobody does ! I got half way thru the video but had to take a break because the pace is very fast and there is so much to take in.

Creating and Saving ‘song structures’ (which is something important to me) looks like a simple Search/Drag/Drop process. Really quite amazing. In particular, I play a lot of Ballroom Music (Tango, Foxtrot, Rumba, etc) which ALL adhere to a strict 32 x Bar structure. So it would be great to have ready made ‘templates’ to hand.

Ta,

Paul

I was looking on the EZ website looking to see what exactly you got with the deal. I was thinking about what you were saying yesterday regarding the amount of GB size sample library you get with the Jamstix. I could not find a GB size mentioned in the EZ Drummer 2 specifications ?

Just found this excellent comparison video between Superior and EZ. There is nearly 20GB in DIFFERENCE between them !!

Well Paul I think the demo is really poor. They have really cut it back to where it really does not work like the real program. I like you can see a real need for some other way than doing drum intros by hand. So I went ahead and forked over $99 for the slim version of JamStixs. I will have to watch some Youtube video of it and read the manual to get up to speed on it. I would not exactly call it intuitive, at least not for this dude.

You welcome on the help, glad to assist where I am able.

LB

Yeah, normally Toontrack is right up front about how many GB of sound files you get with each program or add on pack. But I found no such data. The ONLY thing I found was under the computer requirements. There it states you need 4 GB of free hard disk space to install it. Thus the sound libraries are about 4 GB.

LB

I have Ezdrummer 2 installed here. Sound libraries + application files are using something like 4.10 GB

Yep Makumbaria,
Pretty close to what I got…

On another note, have you owned any drum VSTs before Ezdrummer?

How do you like Ezdrummer 2?

LB