Steinberg hub coming to Nuendo...

Personally, I think that it’s possible to consider Steinberg using this “hub” to announce their own products as a borderline case. On the other hand, why bother coding it, testing it, and maintaining it, if it’s only going to do something that can be done just as effectively via email? They surely didn’t do it for the sake of letting me open one of the the four most recent projects that I’ve opened… because I already know how to navigate to wherever I need to go by using the “Open File” dialogue box. So is the “hub” a typical “software-developers’ self-serving solution for a problem that doesn’t exist”? The only reason for creating this “hub” that comes to mind - well, to my mind - is that at least some of those product announcements are going to be from third parties and are going to be paid for by those same third parties.

That Steinberg will claim that all the ads will be of interest to their users and won’t have blinking banners does not really make them anything other than ads. And really, if this hub proves to be worth its maintenance and support costs, does anyone think that it will be very long before we see Google ads for counterfeit drugs, Asian and Russian brides, and, uh, “male enhancement products”? They seem to be searching for new revenue streams and that seems to be why we have this “hub”.