Steinberg hub coming to Nuendo...

All I am saying is:
Why didn’t they include the “Remove From Recent List” in the File menu (within the project page)???

Just so that we who want to use that feature, shall be forced to use the Hub (sarcastic :wink:)?

This is a feature we have been asking for, for about 10 years (or even more). And when it finally arrives it is through a half baked solution.
Why don’t they do it properly when they finally decide to implement it?

IMO the Hub is an unnecesarry add-on making the app look “bloated”. Nothing cool at all.
Besides that, it is even stupider when many studio computers (main DAW’s), are not connected to the internet. Like my main studio DAW.

But what do I know, maybe they have taken the hints from the Cubase forum and finally implemented it in Nuendo.
But then again, why don’t they do it in Cubase (maybe next update)?

There you go! Sometimes I dip into the most mundane handbag fights that go on here, purely for the entertainment value, and then suddenly a gem of information pops up … thank you iBM! I did not know this.

This is something that is more important than it may first appear, and yes, this is totally off-topic, but to be able to delete something from the “recent” list (or LRU as it’s sometime known) is actually crucial in some scenarios; think, for example of the situation in a commercial studio where the clients may be in direct competition and you are bound by legal non-disclosure.

So, I’ve found a reason to use the Steinberg Hub … no more thrashing of prefs before a session.

Hub-a-Hubba :mrgreen:

Then would you perhaps care to explain the logic for having the “Remove From Recent List” command as part of this “Steinberg Hub” instead of having it on the “File” menu where, as iBM has correctly pointed out above, it logically belongs and where it is located in other apps? So that you can see the “humor” in yourself.

I do see the humor in myself. I smiled when I read your post.

Seems to me that the Hub is SB’s attempt to consolidate enhanced functionality for project file management. Potentially saves a click or two in some cases, I would think. In that regard, I think it works pretty well. The issue is that some users seem to be offended by text displayed on the left half of the Hub dialog to the degree that they are unwilling to use it.

I suppose people realize that you can disable the Hub from ever appearing on its own but still open it from within your project. And if the point of using the “Remove From Recent List” is to deal with file management when not in front of clients, I guess I fail to see what’s such a deal breaker here.

So the way I see it, even only accessed when working by yourself, and only opening when you command it to, the Hub’s display of available updates, etc is so personally offensive to some that they cannot deal with it. One extra click, by my count. Because SB did not do it the way “User X” would have, it’s wrong and unusable.

Personally, this “issue” would be placed far down the list of things I consider a problem. And since this is a forum, I think it’s OK to think that, right?

Still smiling.

Nice, non-reactive answer! I, for one, would like to see more of that around here.

There’s a lot of hyperbole flying about something nobody’s even seen yet. I’m looking forward to seeing how the hub is actually implemented in Nuendo vs Cubase. And how much of the sky is actually falling. I suspect I will use it, and am not afraid of being judged by potentially horrified clients. If they are here when I boot up, and they get freaked out/platform-ultimatum demanding/ insist that I dress up in a Star Trek uniform with pointy sideburns, I’ll either talk them down or send them to someone I don’t like.

In the meantime, as the guy who posted the original FR/bug report for a manageable recent documents list here some years ago, I’m mostly just glad the feature’s been addressed. Finally!

Chewy

My only question is: Why not implement/add the “Remove From Recent List” to the File menu while at it?

Like it is now (in C7.5), it is a halfbaked solution to a very old feature request.
And if the Nuendo developers have read something at all in the Cubase forum, they could have picked up a future request and/or solution to implement in the upcoming Nuendo update. Or two, or three, or…

Hell, they even have had time to implement this since this thread was started (if the really wanted to). Then it’s just plain stupid to not do so (there was a free tip from me :wink:).

The “Remove From Recent List” we have been asking for, for over ten years. The Hub, the new Control Room and the new Mixer, and certain other implementations we have not asked for at all :confused:
So smile all you want. Logic it is not.

A dealbreaker it is not, but strange it is. Certainly worth a :slight_smile:

Start a poll? Yes/No/Don’t care?

I’m not trying to start a campaign here. But here’s a quote from Sound on Sound’s Nuendo 6 test…

When I first launched Nuendo 6, I felt an immediate sense of relief that Steinberg had decided not to include Cubase 7’s Steinberg Hub, the full-screen view that provides the latest news, tutorial videos and new project options. It is annoying in Cubase 7, and would have been out of place in the professionally oriented Nuendo. Instead, depending on your On Startup preference, our old friend the Open Document Options dialogue remains, and the Help menu has become a little plumper, offering easy access to Web pages for community, support, products and more.

You can read the review online:

Ollie

Is the Hub causing crashes, when opening/closing projects or the app? In 64-bit?

Darren “Link” Ingram

Thanks.

It may be a Mac only issue, as far as I understand.

If so, not for all Macs… no problem here.

BTW, now that it is here-- I wish the hub were smaller, but I do like the idea.

Chewy

That’s true, it’s not for all macs. I have two systems, both on Mavericks, both on 6.5, one crashes with the hub and the other does not. The systems are not identical in regards to video cards and interfaces, however.

Thanks!

Darren “Crazy Little Thing Called Hub” Ingram

The so called ‘hub’ is only there to bound customers more to Steinberg and pester them with ads (called ‘infos’). Probably Steinberg is following the Apple path of transferring update abilities etc. into a shop system. The ‘hub’ is a total insult to intelligent and educated users of Steinberg products and should have no place in a professional working environment. To implement some functionality into the hub but not into the program with a disabled hub is the proof - there is no sissy dancing around this.
What makes me angry beyond this is the loss of the function having automatically opening a default template at program start. They follow Cubase with that. Taking out a function that was there and reliable for ages is also not user friendly. And I assume everything is to mildly force us towards the (advertising) hub. Those things are usually contrived my marketing departments.
I have licenses for Nuendo 6.5 and (two) Cubase 7.5 and therefore see myself as a generally convinced Steinberg customer, but I wish Steinberg is not becoming an even more marketing driven company.

For what it’s worth:

I feel reasonably (at least functionally) intelligent, and am not insulted by the hub. If I felt insulted or embarrassed by its implementation I’d likely take advantage of my reasonably functional intelligence and just turn it off.

:smiley:

Chewy

Wouldn’t an elegant solution be to enable us to right-click items that we don’t want on the Recents list and remove them directly from there?

I hope you had your fun - that’s healthy. It has to do with attitude and the attempt to treat user as consumer idiots.
So … why not using your intelligence for more than just switching on/off things?

It sure would…and would still be nice. I started a thread about this a year or three ago-- it’s been irritating ever since the recent docs list stopped dynamically updating a few versions back.

Chewy

Or make it available from the File Menu.

Then I can turn off the HUB :unamused: