Automatic backup for Cubase settings?

I backup all documents, etc… on my PC via robocopy to my NAS.

But what do I need to backup to save Cubase settings?

I need to backup:

• Cubase preferences
  • Cubase macros and keyboard shortcuts
  • Remote control editor settings
  • EUCON stuff (especially the touch screen layouts, etc…)
  • Studio connections
  • Possibly the media bay (should I ever decide to use it)

Which directory is that?

Of course I’m willing to share my robocopy script if so desired.

i think all of that should be in your user settings folder.

although the Eucon stuff would probably reside somewhere else i’m assuming…

most are in the folder

…\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg<program name>

see pg 709 of the operations manual

I tried using xcopy and robocopy, but abandoned them when I discovered that they did not faithfully mirror the source to the target.

The aggregate target numbers and sizes regularly didn’t match up, and I am not referring to files that had names or paths that were too long (which no utility can handle), but to GBs of normal files of varying sizes.

I eventually went for SyncBack Free, which I verified mirrored properly.

Like I did with Outlook files, one could use a hard link to put the actual files on a data drive that is completely backed up.

Thank you VERY much - I did just that (linking). And with all the VST plugins as well.

It’s all under “appdata” or “presets” on my drive “S:” (for “samples”) now.

Your posting helped me a lot. :slight_smile:

Btw, the EUCON stuff is under appdata\Euphonix - I added the subdirectory with the user settings to my backup batch file as well.

Thanks.

It is a pity that Windows doesn’t have a generic facility to redirect like they do with the Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos folders, where you have the option to transfer all the files to the new location. I use that to map my dual boots to the same data drive. Do that with IE Favourites as well. While Outlook did have a facility to shift the data files around, it was so flakey and had to be done for each file that I just went to using a single hard link.

I had thought of doing a utility like that using hard links and data moves (even mapped out a lot of the logic and started learning C# rather than continue to use VB), but got distracted into other things that may actually earn a living!

I’ve been using MS Sync Toy (in echo mode) for years. Do you know how SyncBack Free compares?

If I remember correctly, MS Sync Toy was another that I found was dubious. Previous versions to 2.1 did have known issues.

Also, it has not been updated since that 2.1 in 2009.

We are using SyncBack Free to perform ad-hoc backups after we have been editing files, but we also use it on a supervisory PC we have to backup our main NAS box to another overnight.

Unfortunately, a couple of versions back, they dropped a facility where it could backup folders if the computer had been idle for a time, which typically meant that we didn’t have to think about those ad-hoc backups.

I use Arconis True Image and back up the “Steinberg” folder in AppData as well as a few other important folders automatically every day.

I’ve been using FreeFileSync for a whiile now and have been very satisfied with the results.

FreeFileSync is a folder comparison and synchronization tool providing highly optimized performance and usability without a needlessly complex user interface.
(It is also •Cross-platform: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X)

Might be worth checking out., :smiley:

Well, you can use Long Path Tool it works…