Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness

Great, thanks! I’m sure it will be more clear when I’m at the DAW, right now I’m trying to think about how that would work in the Mixer window. Wondering if I need to first select the VSTi channel to apply that command?

you can select either the vsti or the midi channel that is routed to the vsti (while in the mixer or indeed in the arrange). firing off the KC then brings up the respective VSTi.

Thanks again!

no worries. it’s a super useful KC.

Alt + click to the “e” button (in the MixConsole) also opens the plug-in GUI.

[quote=“Paul Coyle”]Got a cool tip or macro to add to the list? Spotted an error or know a better way? Post it here and I’ll add it on as and when I can!

There are lots more juicy tips in this thread that haven’t been collated yet, or are a bit too general or complex to fit in this post. Have a wade through and see what nuggets you find.

Excellent thread. Thanks to all for the contributions.

Macro for selecting a range, splitting the audio and turning down the split audio a few dB. Nice if you’re non-destructively de-essing or just attenuating little spikes in your audio:

Edit - split range
Preferences - Editing - Auto Select Events under Cursor
Tool - Select Tool
Transport - To Left Locator
Audio - Decrement Event Volume
Audio - Crossfade
Preferences - Editing - Auto Select Events under Cursor

The steinberg pad controller came with my version of Cubase (the pad controller is now discontinued) and since its too small to use for finger drumming I use it solely for shortcuts and with 16 slots available I can zip around between mix console and piano roll as well as other time saving shortcuts with ease all with my left hand while never having to leave my mouse to use keyboard shortcuts. Huge time saver.

I agree with you!
hyperthymesiadorsalgiasubchorionichemorrhagehealth care tippoikilothermia

Also, just highlighting the track (in the MixConsole or the Arrange Window) and hitting the letter “V” opens the plug-in GUI as well.

(Also works by just highlighting the MIDI track that is assigned to the plug-in).

Thank you to whoever pointed this out to me a year ago or so!

Hi,

This is not default Key Command. Could you have a look to your Key Commands windows, what did you assign to?

Ah, I see this is becoming circular! :slight_smile: . LukasBrooklyn on the previous page is the one who gave the command:

Edit > Edit VST instrument under Keycommands.

I too find it very useful. No more F11!

This is a very useful list. I tried a few of them already and had some pretty good success. Thanks for putting this together.

cheers for the overwhelming support, to this day i keep getting requests regarding this script.

the issue is, i haven’t upgraded since c7.5, and all my coordinates are ah hoc, specific to my screen resolution, and to the version of cubase / nuendo i am using.

my mastering work (www.snapmastering.com) has had me so busy in the recent months and years i haven’t since justified taking a couple weeks off to truly explore a new version of cubase.

and, frankly, i have been a tad dissappointed with steinberg so i never upgraded (and hence never updated the script for newer cubases), but i have been working with v10 in one of our external studios and may indeed take the leap and upgrade soon…

it’s just a little disappointing seeing all the new half-baked features piling on top of already half-baked features. has the macro system, buggy since 10+ years what with keycommands executing before the previous action had finished, been resolved btw.?

It’s funny you mention that the Macro system has driven me mad updating and resizing the window, not being able to duplicate and having to remove everything and add them one by one to actually get them to execute in the right order (as you mention). Having to keep opening up the Macro at the bottom.

I have been working with it in Cubase 10.5, I am pleased to say all those features are working well now. It was a small mention in other new features but for me the biggest new thing in 10.5! It works so much better, but they left one MAJOR thing out still longing for them to add a delay option where you can add the time in seconds (.05, .25, 1.5 etc) between key commands, so the macro can properly complete one function/command before running the next when you need a time delay.

Hey guys! Can someone figure out a marco for turning down volume just for selected region of audio? Not the volume of audio clip but actual volume curve.
I automate volume of a tons of breaths after compression and this would be a huge time saver!

Hello everyone.

Thought of posting this since I found it very handy during large projects.

Here the GUI of a plugin pops open when you turn a knob on your controller that is assigned to one of its parameter. And stays on the screen 2-3 secs after you leave the knob and goes away. Its nice to have that for a few main plugins in a project. It required midi tracks, input transformer, generic remote and a free CC stepper plugin & virtual midi cable. How long the GUI will stay open after you leave the knob depends on what the step divisions on the CC Stepper.

Let me know if anyone wants the session and the generic remote. Although its pretty easy to setup.

Happy music making!

P.S - Sorry for the low resolution gif, The forum won’t let me upload a larger file. The blue colour of the sequencer window comes from the free gif maker. :slight_smile:
Cubase Gui Pop & Go.gif

That’s pretty cool I’d love to see your session. This reminds me of the Avid S6 and Icon features to temporarily open a plug-in window when changing parameters and you can set how long it is up or if it pops up at all.

I don’t know of a way of doing this with the volume curve by selecting on the clips, that sounds pretty fancy. Are you wanting to cut up the regions at the breaths and then select all of them and then have it turn down the level but 10dB or something?

You might already know about these but just in case

iZotope RX 7 standard has an edit process for this and you can round trip in Cubase with the Direct Offline Processor (not working for me on a Mac in Cubase 10.5 currently)

There is also Waves DeBreath (right now 12/28/2019 it’s the cheapest I have seen a Waves plug-in at $25.00)

i run a macro for this, but instead of working on the volume curve, it does indeed slice the actual clip on either side [of the selected range], and brings down the volume (essentially the de-breather you’re talking about). the thing i find more reliable about this approach is that i found automation curves are less precise, and, at least with my RME interface, tend to produce slightly different results based on the buffer-length of the driver, whereas direct editing of the clip / waveform seems to be sample-accurate in cubase.