Multiple Channel VSTi - Preset?

Hi,

I’m stuck trying to figure this out.

I want to be able, in an already existing project, load a preset that loads
-VSTi (SuprDrumr2)
-complete with all 16outs activated in the VST Instruments box
-all 16 channels show up in the Mixer with the correct, custom names I’ve assigned
-all associated FX & Group channels
-including Inserts, Sends and EQ

Get it? One Click and the whole shootin’-match gets activated into the project (that might, at this point, only be a guitar track.)

Now, I use fairly comprehensive templates already most of the time - but What If I want to switch to an entirely different drum setup? The whole One-Click to Joy thing would be great.

Is this possible and, if so, could one of you fine folks guide me through it. (ps- the manual was less than helpful.)

Cheers

Im using track archives for that. Did you try it ?

interesting. don’t know yet what that is. gonna look into it. thanks.

Select all your tracks, and choose File>Export>Selected tracks. That should do it!

To load, Import>Track Archive.

Wow, gotta try this.

I tried to make this work: Steinberg Forums , but it wouldn’t. I don’t know if it’s because the audio tracks my drum VSTi looked a little different than the usual ones, they had “speaker” icons instead of “waveform” icons. I’m a little over my head with multitimbral VSTi’s, but I’ll sure try this.

I would love to not have to type: Kick, Snare, Cymbal … etc., and also to have to set up the drum subgroup they go to with every project!

Fingers crossed, thanks for the hint!

As a Cubase user for 20 years I would love for this to work. I’m going to try this myself today. Things have changed over the last few years but I’ve not been able successfully to do this or multiple FX tracks as a single saved present.

I’ve a feeling that with the new multi channel instrument tracks this might be the answer, however as a long time user I’m slightly confused with the new instrument rack/instrument track implementation.

MC

with cubase 7.5 its possible to save Vsti with its outputs as track preset.
watch this video specially from 2:12

Thanks for that link, mozizo!!

I see they use instrument tracks to do that. I was not able to figure it out using the old-fashioned instrument racks.

One difference visually is with the old-fashioned instrument racks, stuff appears on the project page that isn’t in their video … the outs that I rename Kick, Snare, etc. I’m not exactly sure what they are, audio tracks I believe (but kind of weird, they have speaker icons instead of the usual audio icons)?

But when I try to do it with the old-fashioned instrument racks, they don’t open up when I try to bring everything over to a new project.

Maybe this is what will finally push me to move to instrument tracks?

But in their video … I guess you can’t be on the project page if you want to see the individual “Kick, Snare…” meter activity, you have to be in the MixConsole?

Thanks if you can help with my confusion, and if not, thanks in any case for posting that video!

I think in the project page now the instrument track behaves a bit like a folder so if you find the arrow at the bottom to expand it you’ll see all the separate tracks.

MC

OK, thanks, Norbury Brook!

Doing some reading now as we speak … the Cubase 7 manual, page 255, says the instrument tracks can only have one MIDI track at a time routed TO it … as opposed to the racks that can have multiple … I could see that being a big limitation on using instrument Tracks. Maybe I’ll understand more as I keep reading …

Thanks!

I see they use instrument tracks to do that. I was not able to figure it out using the old-fashioned instrument racks.

True its only valid from new instrument track present in C7.5 , the instrument rack is the same as before in that matter.

the Cubase 7 manual, page 255, says the instrument tracks can only have one MIDI track at a time routed TO it … as opposed to the racks that can have multiple … I could see that being a big limitation on using instrument Tracks. Maybe I’ll understand more as I keep reading …

true for Cubase 7 and earlier, in cubase 7.5 its new concept with Vsti track/rack and its possible to route midi tracks to instrument tracks.
you will need version 7.5 if u dont have it yet for these
edit( i see in ur signature you have ver 7.5… u just need to learn it better, its little bit confusing at first indeed :nerd:

IT WORKS!!!

Just like in the video near the top of this thread … instrument TRACKS was needed.

Now with one click of a mouse I can load: The VSTi … PLUS the associated MIDI track that is routed to it … PLUS all the outputs of the VSTi (Kick, Snare, Tom …) … PLUS the subgroup it is routed to (“Drum Subgroup”).

Woo-hooo!

I guess there is no reason to ever use instrument Racks again … since it can’t do this, and now instrument Tracks have multitimbral out and can accept multiple midi tracks in … why would I?

Thanks again, mozizo !!! :slight_smile:

(Whoops - I see the drum subgroup won’t agree to be part of the saved track pre-set … will have to set this up manually each time … but I almost don’t care since all the rest can be done with one click … never having to type “DRUM … SNARE … HAT … TOMS … CYMBALS … RIDE … PERCUSSSION … AMBIENCE …” … ever again!!!

Thanks again, mozizo !!!

you are welcome - steinberg really needs to be thanked for those new features :wink:

Yes this does seem like good news. Only problem I’ve come across is the current version of Nuendo can’t open these new instrument tracks.

MC

And of course being greedy, I’m wondering why the GROUP called “Drum Subgroup” can’t be included in the Track Preset! :laughing: