The UAD myth?

Totally with you on this Kevin. I struggle to hear much, if any difference between compressors and EQ’s etc etc… and if I can hear a difference it’s usually right on the edge of perception - and certainly when it’s immersed in a complex mix featuring numerous other plugins it very quickly becomes irrelevant. It may be that some are just blessed with superior hearing but I also think it’s true that many perceive or imagine an improvement that is directly proportional to the amount of cash they just parted with (psychoacoustics). :laughing:

Not directly related Kevin, but you or anyone else may be interested… take a look at this interesting ranty ‘scam bust’ on the UAD “Voice of God” (VOG) plugin:

And yet you’ll find glowing reviews elsewhere.

There’s plenty of marketing hype and ‘Emporer’s New Clothes’ in the audio world - both around hardware and plugins. I for one use the stock Cubase plugins almost exclusively. They’re perfectly fine and do a perfectly adequate job IMO… and you’ve already paid for them! I rather suspect the improved mixes many seek will more likely come as a result of improving skill set rather than throwing money at some piece of hardware or plugin.

:sunglasses:

And that challenge you proposed to your friend… the blind test. Many years ago I recall reading articles about ‘golden-eared’ audiophiles either refusing to participate in such double-blind tests OR if they did, completely failing to identify the gear in question or observing (hearing) differences between the gear.