Multi monitoring switching between 2 PCs

Hi there!
Maybe this topic isn’t just here in this forum, but maybe somebody can give good advice…

I have 2 PCs, and 3 screens 24". Both PCs work on extended workspace with the 3 screens. So I’ve 2x3 VGA outs to 3 screens. I should use the PCs at the same time, so I took 3 swithes (M-CAB SWI0808 VGA switch 2port).

Though it’s technically a good solution, but not qualitively. 1920x1080 resolution is only in 30 Hz and in every resolution the picture is blurred, not sharp, makes phantom view.

Is it about the D-sub switch? Or about VGA cables? I don’t use VGA HQ switch cables, only simples.
Maybe I should buy HDMI switches? DVI switches are so exprnsive.
Thanks.

I’m wondering if it’s the quality of your switching units, as I use a VGA KVM switch and the picture quality is perfectly fine for me. Have you tried different switches? For my own particular needs, I use this 4 port KVM switch… http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F1DS104J/

I also use (2) PC’s & (3) 24" screens, though use a different configuration than you. (2) of my screens are connected ‘directly’ to one PC’s dual video card (not through my KVM), while my 3rd screen is on my 2nd PC via the KVM switch… in anticipation of additional PC’s, which will also be going through the KVM, sharing that same 3rd screen. My keyboard & mouse is going through the KVM’s USB port to both PC’s (and future PC’s). Of course I may change my mind on my configuration as needed.

Thanks a lot.
First I’ll try with one or two good quality cables. If it doesn’t work, I absolutely try that KVM gear.

Use whatever dedicated VGA switching gear, or KVM (Keyboard, Video & Mouse) solution you feel that is appropriate for yourself. In my pre-purchase research, I read that some work better than others. I got lucky on my 1st purchase, and have no issues. For my own current needs, the one I bought works well, and gives me future options for expandability.

They also make Dual-Display KVM switches you know, in case you have a need for that. I personally didn’t want to spend the extra cash for that option, which almost doubles the price, and would have just been a future option, that I may or may not use anyway.

You may also want to consider, or reconsider how you use your 3 screens with 2 computers (as I do too)…there’s always more than one option :bulb: For me, since I had been using 3 screens on my one main DAW, and was basically using that 3rd screen just for placing all my VSTi windows on, it was only a natural transition to have the 3rd screen on my dedicated VSTi machine. This of course makes my 4-port KVM switch totally over-kill for now, but as I said, it gives me future expansion. Currently, the way I use them…I don’t even ‘need’ to connect any of my screens to my KVM switch at all, as I really only need to switch my keyboard & mouse. I could have very well just bought a keyboard & mouse switching unit for the time being, but at the time I bought it, I had the intentions of adding more machines.

That’s analog for you.

More expensive? Yes, but compared to putting up with your VGA fuzzies, or buying more monitors and having somewhere to put them. No.

The issue you have of course, is while there are plenty of plain HDMI swtchers around, with remotes, being able to switch three monitors, along with the keyboard and mouse, is more complicated.

Many 2 into 1 USB+HDMI switched have a wired remote. If the remote connection is by 3.5mm plug, you can use a couple of earphone splitters and an F-F adapter to use one remote to control three switchers. Not cheap for three though. With three switchers though, you can possible switch other USB devices, though only v1.1 is usually catered for.

HDMI and DVI use EXACTLY the same protocol for video, so you can use HDMI-DVI adaptors, but you lose the HDMI’s audio, if you were wanting it.

Attached is a connection schematic for the scenario I cite above:

I have shown the keyboard and mouse going into different switches, but they can go through the same one, or any of them.

Please put your system specs into your signatures. It makes it easier to give relevant advice if we know:

• OS and software versions
  • computer hardware and peripherals.

I’d think he should be able to use a switcher/KVM that gives him at least the same picture quality as with going direct with VGA. This led me to believe he must have a crappy quality switcher.
I can’t perceive any loss in picture quality going through my KVM switch with VGA vs direct. It’s the only thing I’ve ever known, and clear to me. I have no reason to stop using it, but the OP is obviously having issues with his.

Wow, looks complicated, but gives a lot of flexibility for him.