Nice update Steinberg!

Post general topics related to Nuendo 6 here.

Nice update Steinberg!

Postby Rotund » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Just wanted to say that this update/new version is working great here.
I recently reformatted my C Drive and re-installed Windows 7.
So I installed Nuendo 6.5 on a clean system.
I decided to be brave and only installed 6.5 without installing 5 or 5.5 or 6.07.

Launching and especially quitting Nuendo is much faster.
Although it wasn't slow to begin with for me.
No problems opening older projects.
No problems yet at all...

Good Work!
Inboard:
Win7Pro 64Bit, i7 3770k, Gigabyte Z77-UHD5, 12gb Corsair (1600Mhz), Nuendo+Nek 6.5, Reaper 4.591, Studio One, Raydat, UAD X 2, UM-3EX, Glyph eSata Audio Drive, 6TB Storage, U-He ACE, Arturia Moog Modular & Jupiter8v, Korg Legacy (MS-20, MonoPoly, Wavestation), Portico 5043/5033.

Outboard:
AKG 414-B XLII (Matched Pair), AKG D 112, Neumann TLM-193, GrooveTubes GT-66, Shure SM-81 (Pair), Sennheiser e604 (3pack), SM-57 (Many), Beta SM-57, AT-3035, Many More, Panasonic DA-7, Event 20/20p, Alesis Monitor One, Philips MMS321 Multimedia Speakers, TLAudio, HHB, JoeMeek, dbx, Moog Model D, Nordlead 2, Korg MS2000, Triton Le, Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55, Sound Gizmo, Acoustic Drum Kit, Fender Stratocaster (USA), Ibanez EXSeries Bass, Laney VC-30.
Rotund

Re: Nice update Steinberg!

Postby Heiner Einbier » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:39 am

+ 1. Same happy morning here as well. Rock solid performance so far, and I LOVE the new LUFS-meter! And thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for putting the TP-graph and the navigation buttons in the loudness track, that's brilliant!
Well done! :-)
HP Z800 Xeon 8-core 16GB RAM
RME Fireface UCX
BlackMagic DeckLink MiniMonitor SDI
MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM

Nuendo 6
Cubase 7.5
Heiner Einbier

Postby TimoWildenhain » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 am

Thank you guys for the great feedback! Good to hear you like what we have done.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Product Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!
TimoWildenhain

Postby Headlands » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Yes, this is a very stable and well-executed update for me, as well. Some random C 7.5 projects will not load up for some reason, but aside from that it's rock solid for me.

Looking forward to some further great improvements in N7!
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Postby Rickard » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 pm

Mixer configurations are fixed! This is such a great feature that was not really usable until now. I love the configurable visible tracks in the project window now. I haven't tried the new playlist feature but I know that will be handy. It seems stable, though I am finding save/auto save taking a little longer than it used to. And the mixdown issue I have with some projects, that is not a problem in 5.5, is still there.

Overall it feels good. Thanks Steinberg.

Dean
Win7|i7|12gig ram|LynxAES16|Lynx2C|Lynx Aurora|N6 + Nek|PT10 HD|UAD Quad x2| UM-3EX|Midex 8|Mackie Control + 2 extenders|too many mics and preamps to list
Rickard

Postby Lydiot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Has the icon / function in the insert slot been fixed yet?

In Nuendo 6.0.7 the icon is an "on/off" icon, and when pressed activates the plugin bypass instead!

And if you open up the plugin, turn the plugin off, close it, and then press that button (in the insert slot) it will turn the plugin back on again, but with a second press activate bypass!

The visual feedback is the same between "bypass" and "on/off" of course. This came back to bite me during a recent delivery to a client.
Please PM for conversation.
Lydiot

Postby Chewy Papadopoulos » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Very much digging N6.5! Nice work, SB!

Chewy
N6.5x, C4, Halion, UAD-2s (Quad PCI and Satellite), Fireface 800, UR-22, MC Control, Mac(s) 10.9.x, 10.8x, 16G
Chewy Papadopoulos

Postby Dog and Pony » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Same here, 6.5 is solid and a great upgrade, well done! john.
4 rooms with N5/N6, Nuage, Tango II, Euphonix MC Pro, Euphonix Artist, MacOSX 10.7.5 and many more toys.
Dog and Pony

Postby Oliver.Lucas » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:59 pm

It's been without any (new) problems up to now.
2 days intensive testing and using without crashes.
2 mixes done.
Track visibility management in the project and mix pages are just AMAZING!
Track versions are great as well.

:D
www.lucas-sound.com
Latest Nuendo on various Macs
Oliver.Lucas

Postby iBM » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:52 am

Rickard wrote:Mixer configurations are fixed! This is such a great feature that was not really usable until now. I love the configurable visible tracks in the project window now. Dean

How is this fixed? I'm curious (and serious).
TSR - Now a division under The Tower Studio Suite - Run by my uncles nephew

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5.5 - Nuendo 5.5.6 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys | +++
C7.5/N6 is installed on several test systems.
Dynaudio BM15A | Universal Audio 8110/LA-610SE/2-610 | TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 |
TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | +++
iBM

Postby Rickard » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Mixer configurations would not load properly when opening a project requiring re-saving one of the configurations before the rest would be available. Sometimes that would still not translate to other mixers, only to the mixer that was re-saved. The behavior is now consistent in all mixers and works when the project is first opened.

Dean
Win7|i7|12gig ram|LynxAES16|Lynx2C|Lynx Aurora|N6 + Nek|PT10 HD|UAD Quad x2| UM-3EX|Midex 8|Mackie Control + 2 extenders|too many mics and preamps to list
Rickard

Postby iBM » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Rickard wrote:Mixer configurations would not load properly when opening a project requiring re-saving one of the configurations before the rest would be available. Sometimes that would still not translate to other mixers, only to the mixer that was re-saved. The behavior is now consistent in all mixers and works when the project is first opened.

Dean

Thanks. Now I get it ;)

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5.5 - Nuendo 5.5.6 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys | +++
iBM

Postby iBM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:59 pm

The only thing missing in the mixer configurations now, is that the zoom level will not port over from one mixer to the next. Maybe it's by design?

All different rack parts are now saved/loaded properly. Nice.

How do you use the 8 mixer configurations in combination with the 4 mixers?

Are you just using 1 mixer, and the 8 configs? To retain the zoom level?

Or are you using the 4 mixers for 4 different zoom settings? On purpose?

Just installed the N6.5 Trial as we speak, and will check out some different ideas. I'm suddenly back :)

iBM

Postby Tumppi Järnefelt » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:16 am

Thank you for this update. This is great. Especially ADR taker is now absolutely marvelous!
Track versions is also nice to have in the toolbox.

Bye / Tumppi
ADK laptop i7
Win7 64bit home
N6.0.x and 6.5
RME FF800
http://www.finnvox.fi/en/cinepost
Tumppi Järnefelt

Postby fenderchris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Track Visibility - Great
Track Versions - Great.

VST Instruments - New look - Still getting to grips with that, but will be good.

Hub - Switched off completely - no interest in that whatsoever.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Windows-7 64-bit, Nuendo-5.5.6 64-bit, Wavelab-6, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X
Cubase iC Pro for Android
Omnisphere, Trillian + loads of real instruments.
fenderchris

Postby Brandy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:36 pm

fenderchris wrote:Track Visibility - Great
Track Versions - Great.

VST Instruments - New look - Still getting to grips with that, but will be good.

Hub - Switched off completely - no interest in that whatsoever.

Same here!

I like that update. Though it is in some way more something like a "final 6.0" for me - but in the end it only cares what we have to work with :-)

Beside regular all-time-crashes under certain circumstances (please, Mods - check my other posts icl videos!) I have a very stable system so far. I just have to avoid to do certain things. Software as its best.

Some smaller things are fixed / better now - can not recall what it was - but during work I had some smaller "aha, cool" moments over here.. Some other things are sadly not changed/fixed/modified but well... it works.
Christoph Brandes | Iguana Studios | Freiburg/Germany | Facebook | C6/C7.5 - N5.5/N6 - WL7 and lots of stuff like that | still originally registered in deepest 2001
Brandy

Postby Rickard » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:26 pm

To iBM

Usually I only use 4 mix configurations. One for the full mixer, one for all groups, one for all fx and one for lead vocal and related tracks. I use the programmable buttons on my Mackie Control assigned to a configuration so I am one button away from getting where I need to be. On big projects, this speeds up mixing a lot. If there is a track combination that you would want see frequently, just program it in. And now that mixer configurations is fixed I am finding that I only use one mixer.

Dean
Rickard

Postby iBM » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Rickard wrote:To iBM

Usually I only use 4 mix configurations. One for the full mixer, one for all groups, one for all fx and one for lead vocal and related tracks. I use the programmable buttons on my Mackie Control assigned to a configuration so I am one button away from getting where I need to be. On big projects, this speeds up mixing a lot. If there is a track combination that you would want see frequently, just program it in. And now that mixer configurations is fixed I am finding that I only use one mixer.

Dean

Thanks.
So you are actually using 4 mix configurations in the same way we used the 4 different mixers in N5.5?

That's how I have set up my N6.5 Trial, on a win 8.1 test computer, so far.

In C7.5, I have set up:
Mixer 1 on screen one, with only audio tracks, on top of my arrange window.
Mixer 2 is on screen two, with only Group tracks + FX tracks, placed on top of mixer 3.
Mixer 3 is set up for tracking sessions, with Inputs and Groups with Cue Sends + Control Room (on screen two).
So I just close down Mixer 2 when setting up cue mixes and checking input levels on Mixer 3. I then open Mixer 2 up again to see all my Groups and FX.

So at the final mixing stage, I have full screen Audio Track Mixer on screen one, and a full screen Group Track Mixer on screen two (inc my FX tracks).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my One screen test computer (my first test level ;-)), I have made myself 4 different configurations for N6.5.
I mainly use one mixer for my first config = Audio tracks only, while I flip between my three other configs on mixer two (which simulates what I intend to have on a second screen).

I have tried to use my 4 configs across all 4 mixers, only to realize that the zoom level will not follow the configs over to the different mixers. But at least they have now fixed the rack-modules to follow the config from one mixer to the next.
I may end up using this to my advantage, and set up the 4 mixers for 4 different zoom levels.

4 configurations > 4 different zoom levels > 4 different mixers. Does that make sense?

Or just go for 4-8 configurations > 1 zoom level > 1 mixer. Is this a way to go?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a lot of small things I "hate" about the new mixer, and don't let me start on the Control Room ;-). But.....

..... But I really like the Track Visibility, and believe it or not, the hi-pass filter in the pre-section is a favorite (almost worth the upgrade alone, he he :) ).

But the "Hovering for info", man it is tiresome. Only to see info on one track at a time (we used to be able to sweep our eyes across the screen to see much more info at a glance in C6.5 and N5.5).
Why do they have to tell me that all empty inserts and sends are..............empty??? I can kinda see that :roll:

The Insert names can be a mess if you have reasonable sized channel/tracks in the mixer. I don't want to have a 2" wide channel to see the names properly. The "intelligent" abbreviation, is not very "intelligent" IMO.

I had really hoped they would have changed the way events on top are looking (crosshatch pattern that never rest your eyes), but no, not this time around (gotten more used to the Cubase GUI in this regard).

That said, I LOVE the Track Version feature.

Sorry for long post, but there are at least both some pros and some cons in there. A bit for everyone, I guess :)

iBM

Postby goodbyenine » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Happy so far….

Very very pleased that the brushed metal effect on mixer has been replaced. My studio looks 21st century again.

Still learning the visibility features - and finding them good. That ancient thread "hide unused tracks" is finally put to bed IMHO.

Feels a little heavier on CPU - time will tell if this is a real problem. I am opening projects that originated in N4, went to N5 then N6. So far without problems.

Not crazy about the rather large VST rack.

Well worth the upgrade price - and please don't groan, SB have to finance this amount of work somehow.
Late Mac Tower based studio (10.8.5) with N6.5 and 2nd N6.5 (10.8.5), RME Madi via 648, Nanoclock, M3000 x 4 Ext FX, Video via BM Decklink on MP, composition workstation Single Hexacore MP. Sync: MMC N6.5>N6.5. VE Pro 5 always online via slaves. UK TV Music production at 25fps 48k at all times. Softriad Raid management. Powercore 4 running via VE Pro slave, Altiverb hosted on slave as bank of Ext FX. Waves and other plugins. Kontakt 5 central to workflow.
goodbyenine

Postby fenderchris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:09 pm

iBM wrote:There are a lot of small things I "hate" about the new mixer, and don't let me start on the Control Room ;-). But.....

..... But I really like the Track Visibility, and believe it or not, the hi-pass filter in the pre-section is a favorite (almost worth the upgrade alone, he he :) ).

But the "Hovering for info", man it is tiresome. Only to see info on one track at a time (we used to be able to sweep our eyes across the screen to see much more info at a glance in C6.5 and N5.5).

Why do they have to tell me that all empty inserts and sends are..............empty??? I can kinda see that :roll:

The Insert names can be a mess if you have reasonable sized channel/tracks in the mixer. I don't want to have a 2" wide channel to see the names properly. The "intelligent" abbreviation, is not very "intelligent" IMO.

That said, I LOVE the Track Version feature.

Quite right. When moving the cursor over the Slots (I hate them) we don't need to be constantly told that a slot has 'No Effect' in it.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Windows-7 64-bit, Nuendo-5.5.6 64-bit, Wavelab-6, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X
Cubase iC Pro for Android
Omnisphere, Trillian + loads of real instruments.
fenderchris

Postby Getalife2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:52 pm

goodbyenine wrote:Not crazy about the rather large VST rack.

Totally agree on that. The same info and options could be compressed. I tend to use a large number of stereo VSTi instead of multichannel. The amount of VSTi you can see without scrolling is now about 30% of what used to be.

I don't mind a change in general, but there is now far too much wasted space on the "virtual rack" graphics. The same thing could be accomplished and still let us see a lot more VSTi slots at a glance, without scrolling.

Pretty please?
Getalife2

Postby Rickard » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:07 pm

To iBM

Yes, that is how I used to do it in N5.5 too (with the mixers programed into the Mackie Control programmable buttons) but I find it is better now because bringing the right mixer to the front took a few more button presses. Although many, including me, have complained about the focus issue. Why do we still have to click on the mixer for the dedicated mixer buttons to work?

It is also easier now to choose what to put in your configuration than 5.5 (I often have dead audio and group channels that I don't want to delete). I usually keep the same sizing so I haven't noticed the sizing issue in configurations but would love to see this fixed.

I usually have my project on the left monitor and the mixer on the right for tracking and mixing now. Plugins float around during mixing. For tracking I use all hardware monitoring so I don't use the cue sends at all. I just pull up inputs on the mixer to set levels then get rid of them for tracking and visually monitor through the project window.

And I fully agree with you about hovering. Please Steinberg, give us dedicated buttons on the inserts. I'm not sure what you mean about seeing only one track at a time.

Dean
Rickard

Postby Rotund » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:36 am

Why do we still have to click on the mixer for the dedicated mixer buttons to work?

We found out why some time ago...
A complete re-write of the mixer code is needed to fix those issues.
So maybe Nuendo 8 or 9 might have these issues fixed.

Will anyone even remember at that point how the mixer used to work?
I think not. I gave up long ago on the mixer/focus/key commands stuff.
Had to change my workflow drastically.

Nuendo 6 and now 6.5 have brought great things to our tables...
We have lost some basic functions along the way but there are workarounds or
simply different ways of achieving the same things. Mostly.
Inboard:
Win7Pro 64Bit, i7 3770k, Gigabyte Z77-UHD5, 12gb Corsair (1600Mhz), Nuendo+Nek 6.5, Reaper 4.591, Studio One, Raydat, UAD X 2, UM-3EX, Glyph eSata Audio Drive, 6TB Storage, U-He ACE, Arturia Moog Modular & Jupiter8v, Korg Legacy (MS-20, MonoPoly, Wavestation), Portico 5043/5033.

Outboard:
AKG 414-B XLII (Matched Pair), AKG D 112, Neumann TLM-193, GrooveTubes GT-66, Shure SM-81 (Pair), Sennheiser e604 (3pack), SM-57 (Many), Beta SM-57, AT-3035, Many More, Panasonic DA-7, Event 20/20p, Alesis Monitor One, Philips MMS321 Multimedia Speakers, TLAudio, HHB, JoeMeek, dbx, Moog Model D, Nordlead 2, Korg MS2000, Triton Le, Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55, Sound Gizmo, Acoustic Drum Kit, Fender Stratocaster (USA), Ibanez EXSeries Bass, Laney VC-30.
Rotund

Postby Thomas Vogt » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:39 pm

Great update !
updating went smoothly and without any issue...even without trashing my 6.0 prefs !
Win 7 64 bit, CPU X980 @ 3.33 Ghz, 24 Gigs Ram,
Nuendo 6.5.3 64 bit, UAD Apollo Quad, UAD 2

Cuadro Sur Guitar Trio
El Jaleo Flamenco
Thomas Vogt

Postby Oliver.Lucas » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:51 pm

I've been working with 6.5 for a while now and I think it might be the best paid Nuendo update ever.
Track versions absolutely rock, the new reverb sounds superb.
All is stable and well
www.lucas-sound.com
Latest Nuendo on various Macs
Oliver.Lucas

Next

Return to General