For the love of music, please STOP making sound sets!

Read only! All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be found here.

For the love of music, please STOP making sound sets!

Postby jbvries » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:04 pm

PLEASE STOP MAKING SOUND SETS!!!

Focus on your core competency which is making the DAW a robust music production platform.

Your sounds are OK at best and there are so many other companies out there making great stuff.

I'm sorry to be negative but please focus on what your user rely on you for. I guarantee it's not the $20 sound pack.
jbvries

Re: For the love of music, please STOP making sound sets!

Postby JMCecil » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Your logic is patently ridiculous.

1st, the sound sets are not necessarily written by the folks that work on the DAWs. In fact many are 3rd party efforts distributed by Steinberg.
2nd, many users rely on presets and view expansions as a sign of application health and continuing value in their investment.
3rd, who nominated you as the arbiter of good/bad sound sets?
4th, I'm sure there's a 4th and even a 5th but I'm too busy to waste more time on this nonsense.
HOVER HATERS UNITE -- DOWN WITH HOVER
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:09 pm

JMCecil wrote:Your logic is patently ridiculous.

1st, the sound sets are not necessarily written by the folks that work on the DAWs. In fact many are 3rd party efforts distributed by Steinberg.
2nd, many users rely on presets and view expansions as a sign of application health and continuing value in their investment.
3rd, who nominated you as the arbiter of good/bad sound sets?
4th, I'm sure there's a 4th and even a 5th but I'm too busy to waste more time on this nonsense.

i can relate to the OP's sentiment. even if the sound design is outsourced, it still projects a negative image to users expecting fixes, and given the 'transitional' phase the core software package is in. maybe if the sound content was top-tier, up there with libraries like eastwest/lass/spitfire, or samples directly competing with the likes of loopmasters... this way it's more of an inertia-production, keeping your name out there with the press releases... but let's give sb the benefit of the doubt, and hope for the best with the next cubase iteration.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby JMCecil » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:17 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote: even if the sound design is outsourced, it still projects a negative image to users expecting fixes

It shouldn't. That says more about the users than Steinberg. So, Steinberg can't release products until all Cubendo users give their approval to proceed with other concerns? That's crazy talk. It's also counterproductive in any number of ways.

By the way, if you go look you'll see I'm no apologist for the state of C7 and the mixconsole. I just know that these other products have no correlation to Cubase dev.

And again, by whose standard are they "top notch"?
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby JMCecil » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm

And FYI I thought Zero Gravity and Granular Symphonies were outstanding packs and the Vintage Classics was not bad either. Especially if you want to get your ahead around sound design for those era's.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us are happy that H5 was developed and I think many people are happy GA4 is announced. I'm sure people will want expansions for those.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby berntsunde » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 pm

I think Steinberg does an insanely good job of doing the software, and yes there are many companies out there that make good instruments, like outboard synthmodules, but I am so grateful for the Steinberg sounds, I like them a lot and think they are great as they are. Soundsets are great for sketching out music:) If you need better sound, buy a real instrument, or hire a symphonic orchestra..
berntsunde

Postby BriHar » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:13 am

... and perhaps the Lord should have stayed focused on maintaining the universe instead of wasting time and resources on creating people - which attempt turned out to be OK at best ...
:lol:
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 8.0.0 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8.5.20 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby curteye » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:24 pm

BriHar wrote:... and perhaps the Lord should have stayed focused on maintaining the universe instead of wasting time and resources on creating people - which attempt turned out to be OK at best ...
:lol:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

NO REALLY!!!!

"ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING MY A** OFF"!!!!!!

IMHO
BEST POST ON THIS FORUM THIS YEAR!
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby CubeDAW » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:50 pm

I agree they should go back to basics and focus on software engineering. The samples and instruments are not the best quality.
CubeDAW

Postby JMCecil » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:54 pm

CubeDAW wrote:I agree they should go back to basics and focus on software engineering. The samples and instruments are not the best quality.
who should go back to software engineering? The people doing the soundsets are not the programmers. How could they return to a job they never had?

And again, I disagree with your assessment. The ones I have purchased were all as good as anything I've purchased from other so-called "quality" vendors.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby suntower » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:30 am

jbvries wrote:PLEASE STOP MAKING SOUND SETS!!!

I wouldn't worry too much. Mediabay is so godawful I can never be bothered to use them anyway. :D

If a sample falls in the forest and no one hears it... hopefully it will go away.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions