Cubase and 4K monitors?

For those who get a 4K display but have a card that only supplies 3840x2160@30Hz, there is something strange that can happen that gives some odd multi-colour tinges to text.

To ensure text is OK, make sure the refresh rate for the monitor is set to 30Hz in the computer, by:

1. Open the Screen Resolution dialog
    _ by right-clicking an open area of the desktop and selecting the Screen resolution option.

2. Open the dialog for the monitor and video combo
    _ by clicking the Advanced settings link.

3. Open the Monitor panel
    _ by clicking the Monitor tab.

4. Set the correct rate
    _ by selecting the 30 Hertz option from the Screen refresh rate list.

It defaults to 60Hz because the input is capable of it due to being HDMI2.0, but the card is actually not capable of sending it out, so the TV thinks it is getting 60Hz, but only getting 30Hz, so the oddities may be due to aliasing. However, changing it to 30Hz makes the text not look kaleidoscopic. Changing it to 60Hz definitely produces the effect.

The other benefit of setting it to 30Hz is that the Entertain option becomes available on the Picture Mode list in the Picture settings for the Samsung TV. I think that the Entertain mode is the lower-latency game mode, with some of the delaying picture processing effects disabled.

Looks like the TV-video-computer talk-fest produced a ‘failure to communicate’ (as per Cool Hand Luke).

If anyone has any questions about this, please ask. I had no idea why the colour effects suddenly disappeared one day and just as suddenly reappeared today when I tried out a new spatial arrangement in the Screen Resolution dialog. Now I have the reproducible process with which it all makes sense!