Nuendo in the Games Industry

You can’t be more wrong …

Since I am personaly involved in this, I can give you a clear answer.
I originally wrote the .csv marker import/export specification (or better: proposal) in 2006.
The user cases were determined from day one.

1. Scene detection
  2. ADR spotting
  3. Foley spotting
  4. Music spotting
  5. Foreign language dubbing

It has always been the idea to use the .csv import/export as being the “engine” behind a complete feature set which needed import/export to other applications.

All those feature implementations can be found in my 2007 paper, where marker attributes could be linked to other parts within the application and soft- and hardware outside the application.
I.e. markers triggering midi notes, wipes, streamers, VTR’s, samples, samplers, etc …

Each and every idea has been evaluated by the product manger(s) and the technical staff.
They did the hardest part, they improved the basic ideas and developed them within a long term vision and development roadmap.

You have absolutely no idea what it takes to implement an idea, make it fit into the application, and be sure that it still fits almost a decade later. Some things had to wait for a long time because of other “problems”. Like the wipes and sweeps; that couldn’t work at all with the old video engine. And that list of (things to change before we can do this- or that) is extremely long. And all these things need to be specified and coded within the available resources.

Just to say that our product managers and technical lead have a very good idea where they are going. I haven’t seen any other company that has such a clear long term vision, and actually commits to it.

I can only say that there is so much more on that list, stuff you will see growing in the coming years.

I’ll let you in on one more thing:
The “record enable target track” you find in the 6.5 update wasn’t actually meant to be there, because it’s not finished. The assignment of the target track is not user friendly since it is based on the track number.
Since the feature wasn’t finished, it was never supposed to leave the Alpha stage.
We could however convince the product manager to put it in anyway, since it is so extremely usefull.
And that the wait for implementing it correctly (as they would like to) would have taken’ way too long, because there are other technical issues that currently prevent this.

In short, it’s all about prioritizing … Doing the best you can within a specified timeframe and budget.
The job description of a Product Manager.
And as far as I am concerned, our Nuendo Product Managers do an amazing job.

Fredo