How do you use dual monitors and Cubase?

I use 4 21 inch monitors set as close as possible to each other.

(From left to right starting with monitor 4)

1. Mix Console 1 in full screen mode
  2. Mix Console 2 in full screen mode
  3. Arrange page monitor
  4. Mix Console 1 (not full screen) in lower half. (This contains only inputs, groups, effects, and master out channels)
    Upper half is blank. Its saved for editor channel, and is also where key, drum, or half-key half drum edit windows pop up using workspaces. Yes, you can have key and drum editors open in the same monitor. Key on top, drum on the bottom. It works well when working with bass and drum issues at the same time.

Mix Console 1 is also where VST’s pop up, any media bay, and history window.

All monitors are a bit lower and tipped slightly up. When seated my eye level is horizontally about 8 inches above the top of the video monitor. Also…I’m a musician so my keyboard controller is in front of me…not an outboard mix console. My 32/64 channel outboard mix console sits to the left of me. My Qcon Icon to the right with qwerty keyboard directly in front of the Icon. I don’t use pre-configured work stations as most would never come close to workable for myself.

The biggest problem is Steinbergs bug. Mix consoles in full screen mode won’t allow any VST’s or anything on top of them once you click on the mix console…it goes hidden.

The 2nd biggest issue for Steinberg is there is no focus on these mix consoles for key commands. This greatly hinders workflow making things a “click-fest” compared to C6.5. Key commands seem to be an afterthought with Steinberg. They didn’t even have any for the mix console when it was first released! I use key commands as much as possible assuming it’s faster than a mouse.

Sermon time: I don’t think some users really understand the full power of KC’s Macros, logical editor and how they can integrate together. Here is an inspiring video for key commands even though the guy is using a very old sequencer.

The Mackie HR824’s are set about 1 foot behind and just above the video monitors, about 4 feet apart forming the nice sweet spot triangle. When people see my project studio some believe having the Mackies set behind the video monitors by 1 foot compromises the audio. IMO everything is a compromise. I’m using Cubase to produce and compose…not master. I have a 2nd monitor system for reference but rarely use it. I’ll take my masters to a room sonically engineered for mastering who really knows his environment. So for me, that compromise is one I can live with…and I have for years. Learn your monitors well.

In Wavelab8 I’m also using video 4 monitors. Once you get 4 monitors for either Cubase or Wavelab, I doubt you will go back. :smiley: