Generic Remote Problem

HI

I connected 2 st behringer BCF2000 controller to my cubase artist 7.5. I found, that only working combination is so, that first B-control is with USB and second with MIDI through my audio interface (RME FF800). Thats okay, but… this means that first B-control should be in Mackie Emulation mode, and second Basic- mode with (Cubase SX BCF-Preset 1.syx) program. Thats okay also, but… it need to use Generic Remote and there is my problem.

When I try control channels 1-8 with my B-control, it effects wrong channels. It depend, how many VST input- buses I have added… Why, because cubase seems to understand, that they would are the first channels in chain. OK, I can hide them from MixConsole, but they are still there and Generic Remote counts them as visible.

I have done lots of work to get this point, but here I am, and can’t find any solution. Can I put those VST input buses to right side of MixConsole or chain, or do something else with those? Anyway, I’d like to keep them, because I don’t wan’t to create them every time, when I need those.

Many thanks to You, if I can get help here… Aclac

Here is the picture, and there is only one B-control with MIDI… easier to show my broblem.
http://muusikoiden.net/dyn/users/127288.jpg

I found this Cubase Artist 7.5.30 maintenance update… what you think about, shall it fix my General Remote vs. VST- input bus numbering problem?

I have the same problem with Cubase 7.5.x

My BCF2000 on channels 1-8 actually controls channels 2-9 on the mixer.
NB: I have no inputs set up. When I do have one (dummy) input, the controller affects channels 1-8.

Hidden channels (MixControl and/or Arranger) are still visible for the controller.
I’ve had the BCF2000 fot a long time, this problem started with version 7, the MixConsole I presume.

OKAY. It seems to be unwanted feature, and we can’t do anything about it right now, but… have you tried this Cubase Artist 7.5.30 maintenance update?

This is how it works, I’m afraid. If it is changed in an update it will be noted in the change log.

Generic Remote, depending on the ORDINAL POSITION of Group Channels and tracks, instead of some internal ID of that object, is just poorly executed coding best-practices.

Those objects should be key’d off an internal id, not an ordinal position.

There is no defending this.

It will surely change.

in the meantime, enjoy creating robust “static” templates with hundreds of unused group channels and you’ll be fine. :unamused:

But really, you will be.

Anything new “to the right-hand side” of the generic remote consideration, that’s added, won’t affect the ordinal position limitation.

So you can still grow your project, just not the Group Channels.

And, the good news is that Cubase handles all those “dead” dummy channels (that mostly go unused in such a bloated temple), without much CPU hit.

Such is the life of Generic Remote users.

Hmm. Sorry my bad english, but… what does this all mean?

The tracks in Cubase are numbered according the order in whcih they appear in the project window, if you change the order by inserting or removing a track, it changes which channel is controlled by a given fader/channel strip on your device.

So you have to conform to this when configuring the remote.

I can’t agree, because input channels don’t exist in project window. As you see in my picture…

http://muusikoiden.net/dyn/users/127288.jpg

In project window channel 1 is Acoustic guitar, but in MixConsole first channel is SSL Alpha ch (VST input channel) and this Acoustic Guitar is fourth. I’d like hide VST- input channels, but Generic Remote count those as visible and mess up whole remote- idea… and I can’t even move those inputs somewhere else.

Well I oversimplified it. What Jalcide said is the detailed version.

The Generic remote does not see the visibilty stuff introduced in the Cubase 7 cycle. It is archaic in computer years, and needs to be updated.

I would suggest starting over with the Remote by setting up your project with all the tracks you might need, then add more for later.

Then, set things up the way you want. But it will still have these limitations.

You will do better by having both your BCF2000s in Mackie mode, and just drop the Generic Remote altogether.

B-controls Mackie mode don’t work with cubase Generic Remote Control. I’ll tried also Mackie Control to both B-control, but it can’t operate channels 9-16. Thats why I need Generic Remote to other.

My workflow is like you suggested… I setting up project with all the tracks I might need, and afterwards I get more tracks… but. How shall I set up my input channel, if I need record an audio? I activate it and suddenly… my Generic Remote placed it to first place in my “chain”. Then I must remember, that my B-control jump to other place and control take channels 8-15… it should stay in channels 9-16. WHY Mackie mode can handle this kind of action, but Generic Remote don’t?

I’m not sure, if we can understand each other, but I’ll try anyway. Best wishes, Aclac

“Such is the life of Generic Remote users”… I need more than that.

What I am not understanding is why can’t you use your BCF2000s in Mackie Mode, and in Cubase set up a Mackie Control?

Read this thread: MCU Functions Expanded in 7.5 - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

OK. I have 2 pc. BCF2000 controllers and first one work fine in Mackie mode with Mackie Control. I have tried lot of different combinations with second controller (to control ch. 9-16), and… only way was that Basic mode with Generic Remote.

I’m not sure if Cubase Mackie mode can control more than 8 channel or more than 1 controller? Of cource it jump to ch 9-16 with controllers PRESET- button… Btw, as I told, Mackie mode don’t care about inputs. It stay right channels if I need to activate more VST input channels.

Mackie MCU works great in Cubase, and switches banks fine. You have to check out the thread I linked. There are some MCU commands that were moved to new key combos (on the remote) but according to that thread it’s working well.

As far as having two of them, I never tried. The 2nd one would have to be seen an an Extender.

That is all I know! :wink:

Thanks for links. There is lots of information, and I’m too tired now to read those, but tomorrow…

These two BFC2000s worked well in most DAW, but I’m not found any solution for Cubase. I have BFC2000 manual, and there is quite simple method to connect two B-control as “expanded”. First is connected to PC via USB and second is connected with MIDI to first B-control. It should work… and DAW should see those as one 16 ch controller, but in my case those both work as parellel all the time.

Cubase Mackie Control window is so simple, that I can’t see any solution for extra 8 channel. I created other Mackie Control too… negative, because both controls ch1 (and 9)- 8 (and 16). They are linked together somehow, and mixer sliders positions come identical 1 and 9, 2 and 10… and so on :cry:

HEUREKA!!!

1. BCF2000 (Mackie mode, expanded USB (U-4) - ID1) via USB to my PC.
  2. BCF2000 (Mackie mode, stand alone MIDI (S-4) - ID2) via MIDI to my audio interface.

Cubase: Mackie Control (i/o with interface midiports)+ Mackie Control2 (i/o with BCF2000).

So, I am very happy man. Three painful nights and finally it work as exepted! I got Mackie Control to my both controllers and it is much easier for me as Generic Remote. Thanks for everybody… Aclac :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I tried connect both controllers with USB, because need MIDI for new keyboard, but I couldn’t get second USB connection active inside cubase MIDI connection “page”. OK, back to business… USB keyboard work fine with my setup.

Glad you got it going! (I have given up on the Generic Remote myself except for the editing commands)