Buying new "everything" after a power spike(?) fried it all

DP just works, but the same cannot be said for cables.

You may find that full DP cable works OK, and if one was supplied with your monitor, it most certainly will.

However, with mini DP (mDP), a lot of cables are made to work with the Apple 2560x1440 displays and are rated for 8+GHZ. However, if one has a 30" Dell at 2560x1600, such cables will be flakey at best or just not work, and seemingly varying with the phase of the moon! One needs 10+GHz cables instead. I found out the hard way.

Fortunately, they are both available from plenty of places at about the same low prices, but you have to make sure they state that they are 10+GHz. Many don’t state any rating.

Personally, while full size DP cables tend to be built like they could tie up a ship, mDP cables are thinner but still fairly stiff. However, the plugs seem too small for the stiffness of the cable and they are not locking like the full size ones. When I had two quad mDP cards and consequently all mDP cables, I had to be careful to make sure the cables lined up straight into the socket because it seemed like too much sideways stress on the socket might break them, especially if using a short mDP to HDMI or DP adapter connected to a much heavier cable. Just seemed under-engineered for purpose, just to make them small. However, they were universally used for Apple connections for a while, so they must have worked out OK.