SSD & HDD Setup

Twice as fast. But it is doing it at a non-critical time.

Of course, some libraries, like the EastWest Hollywood Platinum series, are recommended to be on SSDs.

If you use them on stage and you need to constantly load new patches, yeah, of course. In the studio, however, it doesn’t make much difference if something loads in 1 minute rather than 30 seconds, especially considering my system auto-loads all orchestral templates on startup, before I begin working. And from then on until the time I shut everything off when I’m done, I rarely need to load anything else. Also, I use one master and two slaves on a VEP network, so the computers are all loading at the same time, therefore considerably reducing load times. It really wouldn’t make any difference to me if they loaded in half of the time. Not when I’d have to buy 9 terabyte-worth of SSD’s…

Besides, if everything loaded faster, I would have less time for breakfast in the morning… :laughing:

Yes but I need 2 TB SSD for this :frowning:

Only a recommendation!

And then, only for HSD, though if all are on the one drive, an SSD is almost a must.

However, the Diamond libraries only total 310 (HS) + 150 (HW) + 150 (HB) = 610GB, so why would you need 2TB?

My total EW folder size is : 565 GB
and another 300 GB for other.

It seems they run at it’s best at 50% full.

I am seriously thinking about getting just 1TB and see how it goes. The smaller programs can stay on HD for now.

Thanks for the help anyway !!

Not SSDs. You can run samples (read only) at as close to full as you want. If total transfer time is a limitation, you are better off using multiple smaller SSDs, using hard links between them to split heavy use libraries.

With HDDs, if you only need half the drive for your samples, you are better off formatting the first partition just a little bigger than that required for the libraries.

This is called ‘short-stroking’ because it limits the maximum head travel time, which can allow lower latencies. Of course, what is in the other partition(s) on the drive MUST NOT be used with the samples, otherwise it forces a minimum head travel time.

Well, if you want the highest loading speeds with conventional drives, the best solution is still a RAID system. Still costs way less than SSD per gigabyte, while approaching that kind of speed.

You can even have what’s called “hybrid RAID”, which is SSD as primary and mechanical drive as secondary.

My suggestion is likely to be more helpful for actually streaming the samples.

Why do you always have the need to put down people with different opinions? And btw, this isn’t a competition.

2tb SSD = $ 1,400 (2x Samsung 850)
2tb RAID = $ 350

Enough said…

Sorry. Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear. I was meaning my suggestion was more applicable to speeding up streaming than loading, and not a comparison to other suggestions.

Again, it all depends on the price you want to pay. If you’re willing to pay $1,400 for 2tb of SSD, then by all means, go that route. But if you can’t or don’t want to spend more than $400, then a 2tb RAID 0 will get you close to that kind of speed for a fraction of the price. Which was the point of my post. You had no need to antagonize me.

In other words, you were comparing apples to oranges.

You quoted my statement about a known zero-cost way to improve the latency performance of an existing over-capacity HDD, to which you introduced increased costs in the form of RAID, and justified that by making technology comparisons, which had nothing to do with what you quoted from me.

When I pointed out that I did not think my suggestion would really help with the scenario you decided to use it in (in effect, agreeing with your premise), you decided to become the forum jihadist and issue a fatwa against me.

I think that is a bit rich when it is you that is having difficulty walking a discussion in a straight line without slurring your logic!

More insults. Yeah that totally strengthens your case… :unamused:

Thx for the tip !!

Just ordered 2 X 1 TB SSD’s

Will report on performance when up and running ! Will hopefully solve my issues finally

Thank you. At least someone appreciates me! :slight_smile:

See my setup below

Works 100 %

Hi,Im planning on going the SSD route myself pretty soon.Just curious as to what SSD you purchased.Samsung 850 Evo seems to be popping up a lot and seems reasonably priced but im open for suggestion on other types.Cheers

My 2 cents:

• OS & programs on 250GB SSD, the faster the better.
  • Sample Libraries on SSDs, I just add more mid-sized ones when I need more space… I hate waiting for Superior Drummer to load 8 GB sets with full bleed on, every second counts for me there, comparing sets.
  • I record audio on an Enterprise grade WD RE 2TB HDD, very reliable and plenty fast.
  • And I put general documents and MP3s on a 1TB WD Green (2nd gen), that drive goes to sleep quickly and gets out of the way.

Cheers,
Benji

What if I’m using a macbookpro 15’'(late 2014), with only 256gb internal drive, I would definitely need some extra hard drive.

Any recommendations for me?

My current thoughts are OS and DAW installed in internal drive , + external 1tb usb3.0 for samples libraries.