Feature requests about ADR

I definitely want these in Nuendo !
I could use the ADR taker for voice over recording which I do many times a month.
Then :
4. Iā€™d love to have a key command that would mark which one of the takes is the chosen one.

Brilliant stuff !
Could use it not only in ADR but in any recording done with lanes !!!

then :

1. It would be cool to be able to do ADR thatĀ“s based on cycle markers and use all the other implemented great ADR features AND get the recorded file to be named according the cycle marker.
Like first part of the file name would be characters name, then something like first two words of the line at handā€¦ And then a cascading take numberingā€¦
Files would be named like this: ā€œfrank_hi, great to see youā€ and then a cascading number for take numberā€¦

Yes please.

Finland, 4 points.
:slight_smile:

Thanks Bifop :sunglasses:
And a bit OT. Even as it is Adr taker is brilliant tool. All those of my work mates that are very Pro Tools faithful that have seen adr taker in action are now rising flags to do adr with Nuendo :open_mouth:
But hey! Lets make it even betterā€¦
Bye / Tumppi

Of course it would be kind of cool to have Timo or some other Steinberg dude to participate here :sunglasses:

Some improvements are planned for the upcoming N6.5 version, but thatā€™s all I can say ā€¦

Frdo

1. Audio aligning plug in / vocalign style with easier work flow. This would be a perfect add on to use with ADRā€¦
    Bye / Tumppi

I just wonder if it is too much to ask if someone from steinberg crew would comment these FR:s (not just this topic but in general). It would be nice to know that someone actually reads these.
bye / Tumppi

Will see. That might help.
Or just simply option that if there is a ā€œfreeā€ lane at hand then when using cycle markers where there is punch in and out points Nuendo would not create new lane but would use those lanes that are free with in that cycle marker.
I want this as I donĀ“t want ridiculous amounts of lanes after ADR session.

Bye/ Tumppi

There is more reading than writing here. Most of the time I would say the same as Fredo:

Well, this applies to this thread too.

It would be nice to know that thread is read. It needs just few words from you. And Fredo always underlines that he is just moderaror, not SB crew so his participation is ofcourse always welcomed but his comments are not official SB comments.

But this is all very OT. Iā€™d love to hear what do you guys at SB think of my ideas.
Bye / Tumppi

+1 for this!

Hi Tumppi,

here are some comments to your suggestions.
Most of your requests are already on our list for future development (and some for current development :wink: )

@ 3:
How do you trim events? Does turning off the ā€˜Sync Selectionā€™ option in the marker window solve your issue?

@ 5 & 8:
Did you take a deeper look at the Signal Switchboard in the ADR settings window? There are some options to automate the audibility of signals.

Cheers,
Bodo

Iā€™d like to add or explain what I think Tumppi means in his #8:

One often used way to record ADR is to use a technique sometimes called ā€œparrotingā€ or in Swedish ā€œrepeat like a monkeyā€ :slight_smile:.

This is where you play the line and the actor repeats the line after hearing it.
This is another use where open ended recording is extremely important.
I think the switching matrix may just be enough to actually handle it already. That is if it has settings for post cycle out point (not post record out this difference is important).

This mode of ADR is a lot more work as it requires more editing, but is often generating a more fluid performance where the actor actually mimics the phrase as such and donā€™t think about sync during delivery.
This method is often used with actors that are continually late when starting the line but that will try to end the line they hear in the headphones in sync (this means the line will never really fit without some extra stretching surgery). And also with actors who are uncomfortable wearing headphones to the point where the acting is affected.

HI Bodo!
About no 3: Yes, turning off sync selection option would do but I like to have it on while ADR:ing to keep my marker list and timeline selection synced. So I could edit the just recorded audio event and not the cycle marker at the same time without too many mouse clicks. Locking marker track wonĀ“t do either as this way quick fixes like correcting dialog line text would need again few mouse click too much to my taste.

No5: I tried to use tape machine like monitoring but when using Avid converter there seems to be small delay when timeline hits the in point and it switches from tape to input. Otherwise that would be good for me but this small delay makes it unusable as I canĀ“t hear talents first about 1/2 second while recording.

No8: Eric explained it very well. Thanks.

Bye / Tumppi

Hi!
Back to this topic just to say thank you Steinberg. Almost all points I made in this post are now implemented. :smiley:
Now only to have this parroting style recording in would be awesome. And vocalign style of syncing recorded takes!

PT folks should finally admit that Nuendo is a great tool worth looking for.

Thanks!!!

Bye / Tumppi

Hi!

first of all the ADR Taker 2.0 is brilliant. The only thing that IĀ“m still missing is also no.8. IĀ“m doing a lot of technical ADR work for german movies. The method that nearly every actor prefers is ā€œ parroting style recordingā€. So he doesnĀ“t have to concentrate on the picture, he just tries to replicate what he has done in the original recording. At the moment the only way doing that is to increase the Post-Roll to maximum (30seconds). But this is not enough in all situations. I always tell the actor to do 3 different versions after he heard the original and that sometimes need more than 30seconds. Also important for me is that the picture stays black after the cue.

At the moment iĀ“m still doing my ADR work with ProTools and GalleryĀ“s ADR Studio but I would love to switch because in Nuendo it is so much more stabile and reliable.

Hope ā€œparroting style recordingā€ in Nuendo will be possible in the future.

Thanks,

Sebastian

When working in ā€œFree Runā€ mode, you can keep on recording as long as you want.
From where you want, and open ending recording.
So no need to set postroll.

HTH
Fredo

Hey Fredo,

but when i record in ā€œFree Runā€ the Picture is unmuted after the cue and the guide sound doesnĀ“t turn off. This is irritating. Am i doing something wrong?

Sebastian

OK, I see.
What you want is an infinte post-roll. Or at least longer than 30sec.

But the guide track mute in post roll should work perfectly when you set up the switchboard correctly.
You could also try to mute the video track manually.
Or via a Key Command ā€œVideo/Mute all video tracksā€

Fredo

Exactly that would be perfect.

In ā€œFree Runā€ there is no post-roll so when i switch the guide to mute in post roll in the switchboard it wonĀ“t turn off after the cue.

Yes that is possible but not very handy.

sebastian

Yes please :slight_smile:
And no 9: Something similar to how vocalign works with Pro Toolsā€¦

Bye / Tumppi