N8/N12 Support

by the way… the iMac does not have a Firewire 400 port. Did anyone experience any kind of problems with the n12 and FW400->800 adapter cables?

Thanks for the info Sundance

I will move Cubase and the n12 from my Macbook Pro 17" to the Thunderbolt iMac 27" on monday hoping that everything will be fine…

Nice machine. I am sooo jealous.:slight_smile:
Please post back when things are up-and-running.

by the way… the iMac does not have a Firewire 400 port. Did anyone experience any kind of problems with the n12 and FW400->800 adapter cables?

When I got mine I had no probs with things working but one prob was
the FW 400—>FW 800 jack was so big hanging out of the puter port,
one move and things start to disconnect. (like putting in a CD or DVD)

I now use a LaCie external HD with FW 400 input (from the n12) and FW 800
out to the iMac.

No adaptors now. Just two cables. works fine.
{‘-’}

will do. I heard that there are issues with Cubase and multithreading. As I have ordered the maxed out version with an i7 this is going to be interesting…

With regards to firewire I ordered a new cable that goes from FW 400 to FW 800 directly, I did not want to fiddle with adapters nor have the n12 as the last device in a chain as I thought that might impact latency. But it’s good to hear that this would also work as an alternative.

Re your Thunderbolt connection:

I heard on a podcast that someone is developing a Thunderbolt
break-out box with multi connection ports.

So you plug this thing into your iMac and then there are
USB
Ethernet
FW400/800
etc etc
ports for all our peripherals.

Might be really kool.
{‘-’;}

Aloha n12 guys, here is the latest up-date info.

Yamaha has posted that the n12 is now completely
compatible with Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)

That being said I am still having probs with Cubase 6.05.

While audio tracks record and play back fine, (up to 40 track so far)
VSTI’s (Cubase only) distort/break up/stop playing intermittently.

I have tried all combination of 32/64 bit scenarios.
Hardware and software.

C5 on the other hand seems to work fine. (32 bit)
No VSTi probs.

We’ll see what happens in the future but as of now I am
‘dead in the water’ with the n12/Cubase 6/Mac OS 10.7.2 set-up.

Hope you guys are having better luck.

HTH
{‘-’}

Aloha guys,

Just to keep the topic current.

N12/Cubase 6.5/OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Been running them hard for several days.
No major probs. [Mac] A small prob with 10.8: Opening C6.5 files. - Cubase - Steinberg Forums
System seems to be very solid and stable.
It feels as stable as it was using Mac OS 10.6x (Snow Leopard)

Keep in mind these are early days. Things may change.

The n12:
The same n12 drivers/tools ok’ed by Yamy for Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)
seem to be working fine but it would be nice to get an official
word from Yamaha on this.

HTH
{‘-’}

It’s been a while since I last posted but still wanted to mention that everything is running fine with the Thunderbolt iMac 27" and Cubase 6 in 64 bit mode on OS X 10.7. It works connecting the n12 both directly and daisy-chained via external hard drive and a cinema display.

@curteye: Thanks for the information on Mountain Lion, that’s just what I needed to hear to consider the upgrade to 10.8. Steinberg has recently mentioned that the old installer files will be blocked by the new OS by default as they are not registered with Apple yet but there is an easy solution to this. http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/archive/2012/07/25/article/important-information-for-os-x-108-users-2035.html

Cubase 6.0 and 6.5 are now officially supported on Mountain Lion

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/mac-os-x-108-mountain-lion-information-on-compatibility-with-steinberg-products/kb_back/2020.html

Aloha S,

and thanks for that info.

Now if we could get an official word from Yamaha…??
I’ll keep checking.

{‘-’}

Aloha guys,

New Mountain Lion drivers (10.8) for the n12.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&category_id=16255&product_id=592444

{‘-’}

thanks curteye!

-Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver has been confirmed to work properly on Mac OS X 10.8.
-The installer now supports Gatekeeper.
-An uninstaller function is included.

I have been holding back the upgrade to 10.8 until now for various reasons (never change a running system…). Guess I’ll give it a try now.

So far so good.
{‘-’}

I’m using an N12 with Cubase 6.5 on Windows 7 and it’s working fine.

I had to download the latest drivers from Yamaha.

The gotchya that got me was that the driver at the top of the list, the one you would expect to be the most current one, is only the basic Firewire driver without Cubase extensions. This really foxed me for a while. The N12 would mount itself basically as a big sound card but none of the special Cubase buttons would work and the Cubase integration light would not come on.

I eventually(!) noticed there were other drivers in the list and one further down included the Cubase extensions. And now it works great.

…and another thing.

I don’t know if this is the right thread to put this in but for people thinking of getting an N12 / N8…

Something that disappointed me when my N12 arrived was that the mixer sliders do NOT send midi and cannot be used as a control surface for the inbuilt (software) mixer in Cubase.

I downloaded and poured over the manual before I bought the N12 and it’s wording was a bit ambiguous. I remember it left me with the natural impression that the hardware mixer controls could control the cubase mixer. Of course if you read that bit of the manual really carefully it doesn’t actually say that.

I’ll probably get a behringer BCF2000. It’s about a 1/10th of the cost of the N12 so I guess it’s not a big financial disappointment but you’ve got to factor in the space on your desk.

Aloha guys,

As of Feb 19 2013 there is new n12/n8 software/tools etc.

Find it here:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16244&category_id2=16268&category_id3=&product_id=592444

{‘-’}

Ah, great news - now I can upgrade to Cubase 7. Thanks for sharing and keeping this thread up to date!

Aloha guys and here we go again.

Found this dated: 8/5/2013.

Either that is Aug 5 or May 8 but in any case
it is later than the last update dated: Feb 19.

Been using it for just over a week now.
n12 feels ver very solid.

How solid?
Till now I forgot that I was even using it.

No glitching. Seems to be OK with C6.5/7.

Long shot here but if in the near future I do any ‘real’ projects with C5
I’ll report back on results.

YMMV
{‘-’}

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16244&category_id2=16268&category_id3=&product_id=592444

That driver is from August 5th 2013 and it seems to be only a minor update making the installer compatible with Gatekeeper on OS X. So it should not break anything.

Still good to know that they are keeping things up to date.

Aloha.

Long shots can and do sometimes happen.

{‘-’}

Hi, I am having real problems with my new IMac, I have had to buy firewire 400 to 800 and then 800 to thunderbolt cable.but the imac does not see the Yamaha n12. I have downloaded the drivers but nothing. Any thoughts?