USB dongle plugged at all times

Can I leave the USB dongle connected all the time?
I use this PC for other work (Graphic Design) and not always using Cubase.
If I leave it plugged will it get damaged over time?

Thanks.

Aloha w,

AFAIK yes!

Mine stays plugged in and is only removed on weekends
when I then use cubase in a live situation.

That being said; I only use Cubase (and drivers) on these 'puters and no other software.
So I cannot speak for how the dongle is affected by using other programmes (graphic apps etc).

Perhaps someone will chime in with additional info.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

I don’t think the dongle will be affected by other programs, my concern is if it will last longer if I plug it only when I run Cubase (this is what I want to avoid).

‘last longer’,

Wilfredo I have gone thru several dongles over the years and in each case the only prob experienced
was to have them fall apart ‘physically’. (the casing)

I have never had or heard/read of a prob where the dongle deteriorated
due to being constantly plugged into a USB port on a 'puter.

But stranger things have happened. YMMV

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

You’re more likely to damage (or lose) the dongle by repeatedly moving it around, plugging and unplugging.

Other software will have no effect on the dongle while plugged in.

Only move your dongle when necessary.

I’d try to move it as little as possible. I have had very bad things happen when dongles get moved all the time.

I replaced one in July and had to pay for new licenses (except for Cubase, but the others charged me $20 per license) and that new one I got, stayed in my computer until 3 days ago when my husband wanted to move something off his onto mine. When I put it back into my PC, some 10-15 mins later, E-licenser gave me a message that it was broken and needed to be replaced! I am a very calm person, but I felt absolutely defeated when this happened because I was in the middle of something and knew that if I called VSL, they would make me send the key back to them and wait for new licenses.

ANYway, after an hour of bad thoughts, husband suggested I reboot my PC. And everything was okay again. I am terrified to use that key again though, and we immediately ordered two more. I am so tired of being enslaved by these cheap, nasty products and the whole USB technology.

Several posts on the forum about dongle probs.

Just do a search. They are pretty easy to find.

In this one there are some:
feature requests/tips/work-a-rounds/approaches etc.

Good luck!
{‘-’}

Hi! Willy,

I had left my dongle on my desktop for years and at some point the plastic that covers the internal components became fragile because of the heat that comes out of CPU box of the Desktop…

But then here’s another disadvantage if you keep unplugging it and plugging it in…

It will eventually suffer natural wear and tear like any other thing in life…

But I have had my dongle plugged on my PC to this day…and I hardly use my Desktop for other things…but the plastic case thereof cracked…

As I write this…I wrapped it with adhesive tape (sell-o-tape) to keep it together.

But the “old man” still functions…

It definitely will not be.

No. I have had the same dongle for over 11 years. The only time it gets removed is when I either need to replace a fan, HDD, etc, or for cleaning. Save for that, it is literally ALWAYS plugged in to my computer. Leaving it in 24/7 all year round has not shortened the lifespan.

Cheers.

Damage to the plastic case won’t affect the dongle at all. In fact, you could completely remove it. The only thing that counts is the tiny “motherboard” and it’s connectors. I’ve got two USB sticks that are exactly that—just a chipset and connector—and they work fine

And yeah, I have my Cubase dongle in my rear USB ports and it hasn’t been removed in… 6 years? You run more risk of damaging it by reinserting it. (That’s what she said!)

If you have to remove/reinsert the dongle regularly (say in Curteye’s situation) it’s a good idea to use a short USB extension cable - that way there in no wear on the dongle contacts and there is no chance of the dongle’s metal connector being snapped off in a USB socket.

My dongle is never removed from the computer but I still use a USB extension lead as I’m a clumsy sod with poor eyesight. I like my dongles to dangle :stuck_out_tongue: