Heres How get rid of the glow fonts in aero

To disable the glow on a Win7 Pro in Control Panel >System>Advanced System Settings > Performance > Settings > Visual Effects >Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop.

It may switch back to classic on clicking, simple un-cklick it and reselect your saved (minimalistic) areo theme.

Don’t forget to turn off transparency and in the customize windows look and feel box, also set your desktop to a dark colour, (or any of your choice) but, loads of colour pictures etc as a desktop do take up CPU cycles to maintain in the backround. click on all the borders and ensure there are not two col ours bleeding in any of the options, If there is just set colour 1 and 2 to the same.

Click and apply and there you have, no glowing fonts in areo!

Hope this of help to people like me who don’t like the glowing fonts!

Oh! I forgot! Here’s what it looks like after tweaking!

Great thanks!

You deserve to be congratulated by the Steinberg team, Mr.Outsounder.

And i congratulate you.

:slight_smile:

I don’t get it. I

1. Unchecked everything (except ‘Use visual styles…’) on ‘Visual Effects’
  2. Turned off transparency in ‘Personalization → Window Color’ (is this the right place?)
    Still having this horrible glowing menu bar.

I think I’m getting old. Back in good old Windows 3 days I wrote software which hooked itself into Windows to make the user interface better (virtual desktops, context sensitive menus etc) and now I can’t even click the right buttons :open_mouth:

This did not seem to work for me. I am not sure if I am missing something.

I am able to reduce the glowing effect by reducing the color intensity. This results in a grey menu like you posted. The only issue I see from this is that it is difficult to determine the active window since there is very little color difference between window title bars when reducing color intensity. Not bad - just a bit of a trade off.

John

cool!

does it also not glow when the background is black?

As far as I can see, this doesn’t get rid of the glowing…the white glow is just not as visible against a white taskbar.

Either that or I’m doing something wrong (as is everyone else responding that it doesn’t work)

Yes that’s what I suspected. I guess all it will take is to adjust the properties of the window in the code, hopefully in the next update.

It’s really a very straightforward tweak to carry out, it’s just simple modifying an aero them! I do a step by step with a few pics and post that here this evening :slight_smile:

I used a utility for the translucent menu. Although the is glowing still present the menu bar is solid & I have the min/ max buttons back, which is what I really miss.
I also turned off Aero Shake.

It’s really a very straightforward tweak to carry out, it’s just simple modifying an aero them! I do a step by step with a few pics and post that here this evening

Indeed it is a simple process to get the look you have shown…but can you do the same with a dark colour menu bar??

Yes, you can choose any colour you want. Heres a pic of the settings I used and the boxes/screen you need to open to achieve a custom theme, (you can get to them all in the control panel)

I just tried it both ways. Checked and unchecked. I even restarted Cubase and I can not get rid of the glowing fonts. Maybe Steinberg will fix this.

Yes, you can choose any colour you want. Heres a pic of the settings I used and the boxes/screen you need to open to achieve a custom theme, (you can get to them all in the control panel)

The only pic I want to see is of this mythical dark menu bar with no glowing font :wink:

the pic seems to show Aero disabled (desktop composition is unchecked) Cubase only runs with Aero enabled so i don’t understand how this recipe can work?

That is under Windows 7 Aero is required.

the pic seems to show Aero disabled (desktop composition is unchecked) Cubase only runs with Aero enabled so i don’t understand how this recipe can work?

His pic of settings has nothing to do with his first set of instructions…I think we can safely assume it’s all a wind-up.

That is under Windows 7 Aero is required

This whole thread is supposedly about getting rid of the glowing font in Windows 7??

No windup, it’s a bit like spending time mixing and matching a loop library using bits of windows themes (including the classic), with aero themes and colour mixing and, making the most of what SB have given us, you’ll eventually find a combination and feel thats pleasing to you. I’ve settled on the silky grey (see attached pics) because its almost a perfect match for Studio one 2 and sits very nicely with my C8 Pro colour scheme.

The windows aero “glowing fonts” are png graphics encoded into the whole structure of the OS. To actually remove them would mean spending weeks and weeks redesigning them in photoshop, then, hex editing binary files to get them back into the OS. You can make simple tweaks using regedit if you want and of course know what your doing, or use something like UXtheme for Win 7 to patch the dll’s (though you’d still need Photoshop).

Luckily you can make aero look more or less lke you want just using the preference tools which is what i’ve been doing. I’m more than happy with SB’s new look and feel for C8 and quite happy with they way i’ve managed to loose the impact of the glowing fonts in a very short time with simple tweaking.

For some one with a bit more time, ambition and braver than me, here’s a link to basic instructions for creating custom schemes. I’d rather you try than I !!!

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14347-tutorial-creating-a-windows-7-or-vista-visual-style/

Actually, it’s all hearsay really, we’ll be in 2015 in a few weeks and Feb sees the launch of Windows 10 which, (no doubt) Sb have been busy playing with for the last year, so who knows what the C8.xx will look like then? Tiles, aero and classic all in one? :unamused:

The glowing fonts have an 80s feel to it somehow :slight_smile: Thanks for saving us from the shoulder padding! :wink: