Importing old project files ".all" et ".arr"

Post questions and find answers on our Cubase 6 releases here.

Importing old project files ".all" et ".arr"

Postby SamGardner » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:13 am

Hi,

I need to import some old project files (or convert them into ".cpr"). Those files end with ".all" and ".arr", and were made with Cubase 2 (under Windows 3.1).

I read on Internet that I need to install a SX3 version to do so.

My questions:
* Is it the only way? Is there no option in Cubase 6 to do that? I tried all options in "Files -> Import" and "Files -> Open" unsuccessfully.
* If I have to install SX3, how do I proceed? All I find in the download section is an update that requires a previous SX3 version to be already installed.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers,

Sam.
SamGardner

Re: Importing old project files ".all" et ".arr"

Postby haraldsson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:10 am

SX3 does it. Here is a link to Steinberg FTP server:

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/
Best regards,
Hjörtur Blöndal

Hardware:
Apple - iMac 27" 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 - 8GB Ram - OSX 10.9.3
HP - Pavilion dv6-3315sp Core i5-480M - 8GB Ram - Windows 7

Steinberg UR44 Audio Interface
PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL Audio Interface

Host:
Steinberg - Cubase 7.5 64 bit
Steinberg - WaveLab 8
Avid - Pro Tools 9
Apple - Final Cut Pro X
haraldsson

Postby Weasel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:14 am

Is it the only way? Is there no option in Cubase 6 to do that?

Nope and nope.
If I have to install SX3, how do I proceed?

After installing SX3, use the Import function to load the old .ALL and .ARR files. Save the results and reload the newly created .CPR files into C6.

Most of the old files usually come back...but there are occasions where some of the old files simply won't load....mostly due to corruption. Short of attempting to reload them on the original software and machine and doing a MIDI machine to machine transfer, there is no way to bring 'em back.

A word of advice. I don't know if it's a PC issue but if SX3 crashes when you first try to launch it, take the VST Plug-ins folder and temporarily move it somewhere else. This is an issue on the Mac/Intel platform and it solves the problem.
QuadCore 2.66 Nehalem w/8gbRAM - OSX 10.6.8 /10.8.5- C7.5.1/C6.5.5 - MOTU 424e/2804MkIII - PODxt - 2-MIDI Express 128's --- DualCore 2.8 iMac w/4gbRAM OSX 10.6.8 - C7.5.1/C6.5.5 - MOTU/ULmk3 --- D8B/V5.1 - GenX192

Oh.....so this is the Cornfield?....
Weasel

Postby SamGardner » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Thank you guys for your answers.

Sorry Haraldsson, but I still can't find the good SX3 files. In "ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_SX_3/", I see only updates, but not the original program. And in "ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/", there is no SX3 at all. Where can I find the Cubase SX3 program?
SamGardner

Postby thinkingcap » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...
thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Postby haraldsson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Sorry SamGardner. I thought it was there... And thanks to thinkingcap. :)
Best regards,
Hjörtur Blöndal

Hardware:

Host:
Steinberg - WaveLab 8
Avid - Pro Tools 9
Apple - Final Cut Pro X
haraldsson

Postby SamGardner » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Ah! Not easy to find!

Thanks a lot! Will download this one and give it a try...

Cheers
SamGardner

Postby SamGardner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:49 am

Sorry, it's me again. The installation doesn't seem to work on my system. I have a Windows 7 64bits with Cubase 5 & 6. I can launch the first installer with compatibility mode (XP SP2), but the Syncrosoft installer stops, saying there is another process disturbing the installation. Did you experienced this problem?

I thought at first that I should stop (temporary) the service running the eLicenser, but I can't find the service in the list. I also tried to stop my iLok (for EW librairies), but it didn't change anything. Any clue to solve this?
SamGardner

Postby haraldsson » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:17 am

SamGardner wrote:Syncrosoft installer stops, saying there is another process disturbing the installation

This is normally because another program (Cubase 6, for example) is using - or "looking" at - the License key. In fact you should not run the Syncrosoft installer because the SX license is "built into" the Cubase 6 license, as far as I know.

You just install the SX3 and it should be ready to run.
Best regards,
Hjörtur Blöndal

Hardware:

Host:
Steinberg - WaveLab 8
Avid - Pro Tools 9
Apple - Final Cut Pro X
haraldsson

Postby Parrotspain » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 am

Hi there is another thread running which is very similar in which I posted this suggestion.

This isn't a solution exactly, but you can send the .all file (no folders, audio etc) to anyone who has a working Cubase SX2/3.

If they boot up their version and 'Import Cubase song...' they will get some warnings, but will be able to pass these and get to the main arrange page.

Next they save the project in the normal way and send you the new file.

Put it in your project folder and you will now be able to open the project in C4/5/6. You may have to move your audio files into the audio folder created by the later Cubase versions.

I have done this lots of times, I hope it might help.

P
Cubase 6.5.5 Build 176

System 1: AMD FX 8350 8 core 16Gb Win 7 64 Asus M5 A97
System 2: AMD FX 8320 8 core 16Gb Win7 64 Biostar A960D+
Parrotspain

Postby SamGardner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:56 am

Thank you for your help, guys.

@Haraldsson: I tried to skip the installation of the Syncrosoft driver, but then the initial setup also ends... It seems that I have to install this driver if I want to install SX3.

It seems so ridiculously difficult to convert these old projects. Why couldn't they just keep this feature in the latest versions?

Anyway, to answer Parrotspain, I have hundreds of these old files. I wanted to make some cleanup myself. But to do so, I have to be able to convert them into .cpr files. Thanks anyway for the idea.
SamGardner

Postby Johnny B Richman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:55 am

As I mentioned in that another thread - in my Win7 x64 I managed to install SX3 / SX2 / SX1.
You need to uninstall existing eLicenser and install the latest "old" License Control Center 5.4.20.01010 which can be found here http://www.elicenser.net/en/download_archives.html
Install SX3, update to latest 3.1.1 (build 944), then uninstall LCC and re-install the latest eLicenser.
Run SX3 and enjoy
Win7 x64 SP1, Intel Core i7-2600K 3,4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3, RME Fireface 400, MIDISport 4x4, ATI Radeon HD 5750 + 2x HP ZR2440w displays
Cubase 6.5.5 WaveLab 8.0.3, HALion 5
Johnny B Richman

Postby dickiedrummer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:41 pm

I always import old .all files using SX3.

Given the number of times friends have asked me how to do this over the years, I must say I am surprised neither Steinberg or perhaps a 3rd party have written a piece of software to make this task simpler. If there were such software and reasonably priced, I am sure most people who have used those older versions of the program would buy it as a matter of course. Could be an idea for someone out there maybe 8-)
Soft: Windows 7 64 bit | Cubase 7.5 | Wavelab Elements | Halion 5 + HSO + various 3rd party |
Hard: Asus P9X79 Mboard | Intel i7 3930k | |16gb ram | 2*24" monitors | StudioLive 1602 desk/soundcard | Tannoy DMT2 12" main + M-Audio BX5 nearfield |
dickiedrummer

Postby haraldsson » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:56 pm

I have just tried (re) installing Cubase SX3 on my Mac. I had to reinstall the latest version of eLicenser Control (eLC), because for some reason my system could dot see Steinberg License Key after the SX3 installation. But after installing the latest eLicenser Control, all is running fine.
Best regards,
Hjörtur Blöndal

Hardware:

Host:
Steinberg - WaveLab 8
Avid - Pro Tools 9
Apple - Final Cut Pro X
haraldsson

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 pm

haraldsson said
I had to reinstall the latest version of eLicenser Control

From other threads I've read from Mac users there seems to be a difference in the way elicenser works on the Mac compared with the PC. The process for PC definitely involves uninstalling the latest elicenser and installing the old one - and removing the dongle before SX3 installs. Johnny B Richman pointed to the old elicenser at
http://www.elicenser.net/en/download_archives.html
The only problem I had during the process was reinstalling the latest elicenser. The installation threw up an error message, I had to delete all the references to "elicenser" in App Data.

I agree with dickiedrummer - Steinberg should be making it easier to reinstall earlier versions.

Postby haraldsson » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks zebbie. Yes, I refer only to the use of SX3 and the eLicenser Control on Mac computers.
Best regards,
Hjörtur Blöndal

Hardware:

Host:
Steinberg - WaveLab 8
Avid - Pro Tools 9
Apple - Final Cut Pro X
haraldsson

Postby Weasel » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:15 pm

SX3 installation problems aside.....wouldn't it be nice if Steinberg simply put the legacy importation functionality back into C6?
Wouldn't it?
QuadCore 2.66 Nehalem w/8gbRAM - OSX 10.6.8 /10.8.5- C7.5.1/C6.5.5 - MOTU 424e/2804MkIII - PODxt - 2-MIDI Express 128's --- DualCore 2.8 iMac w/4gbRAM OSX 10.6.8 - C7.5.1/C6.5.5 - MOTU/ULmk3 --- D8B/V5.1 - GenX192

Oh.....so this is the Cornfield?....
Weasel

Postby haraldsson » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Weasel, definitely!
Best regards,
Hjörtur Blöndal

Hardware:

Host:
Steinberg - WaveLab 8
Avid - Pro Tools 9
Apple - Final Cut Pro X
haraldsson

Postby SamGardner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:13 am

Ah! Thanks a lot JB Richman, your solution worked perfectly. The trick is to uninstall temporary the eLicenser, to allow SX3 to be installed. Then you can remove the Syncrosoft driver and install again the eLicenser. It makes sense! Now SX3 works along with 5 & 6.

But yeah, like Weasel, I still don't understand why such a feature was removed from the lastest versions... To gain 2 spaces in the import menu? To lighten the main program from a few kilobytes?

Anyway, thanks everyone for your time.

Cheers
SamGardner

Postby ffg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:31 am

Weasel wrote:SX3 installation problems aside.....wouldn't it be nice if Steinberg simply put the legacy importation functionality back into C6?
Wouldn't it?

Yes it would, but SB have made it clear that this is not a simple task, and I for one would rather they spent the time getting the current feature set working as well as possible. At least they have provided a way to do it via SX3, even if it's a bit flaky.
best

David

I'm going to to let the situation mature...

Nuendo 5.5
Cubase 7.5
MacPro 3.3 6-core OSX.9.x
MacPro 2.8 8-core OSX.8.x
Macbook Pro
RME Fireface 800
ffg

Postby JAMac » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:19 pm

No one could ever excuse removing the import function. I recorded hundreds of songs with the .all/.arr file extensions and due to ridiculous life circumstances hadn't been able to consider upgrading to the latest Cubase software till recently. And re-adding it couldn't really be that difficult, could it? Now I have to struggle with the installation of yet another version, which I'm sure will leave all sorts of garbage behind that will slow my system down even more, like every program does. And not even the newest version of eLicenser is compatible with SX3? Why do I have to jump through all these hoops because someone decided to REMOVE functionality? It seems that this is all I do. I have major problems with all sorts of software because it seems that people are more interested in 'new' and 'profit' than in' functionality'

This is not a slam on Steinberg, but the entire human race. I am so tired... I just want to create, not fight.

Sorry for the rant but I find people generally idiotic (look up the original Classical Greek definition of the word).
JAMac

Postby HowlingUlf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 pm

SX3 isn't C6 and a lot has changed since SX3 was released?
It depends on how you look at it. you need to figure out a lot!

what should be included from ALL > CPR?
what should be excluded from ALL > CPR?
what already works in SX3?
how does it work in SX3?
how to transfer it to C6?
what works after the transfer?
what's broken after the transfer?
how to fix what's broken after the transfer?
what's broken in C6 code after the transplanted code was inserted?
how to fix C6 after transferring the code?
how to iron out any bumps in the behavior?
how to optimize the code when everything seems to work?
betatesting.
back to the drawing board.
betatesting.

then they can release it to the lions!
"YOU SUCK!!! :evil: "
:lol:
Last edited by HowlingUlf on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gothenburg, Sweden
Cubase 7.5 32 | Intel i7 860 | 8GB | Win7 64 | Emu 1820M | BCR2000 | MPD16 via MIDI
and a few cables ... and some more stuff ... and even more than that, would you believe it ?!!?
HowlingUlf

Postby HowlingUlf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:19 pm

About importing old ALL files via SX3. I've done this, too and it has also been hundreds of them, songs and tests, big and small. AND IT WORKS! A fair share of them was even converted from Alesis MMt-8 hardware sequenzer about 65 000 000 000 years ago! They also work haha. Kinda cool? I had ab Alesis DATADISK for floppy disk memory dumps and backup and it was unreliable as FÛCK! But I don't think I lost all that much of what I intended to save.

I had this Korg MIDI clock/FSK clock sync box hooked up to the MMT-8 and recorded the MIDI output into Cubase Atari which was rock solid. After that there was this possibility to format a floppy disk in a PC and then I could save the files from the Atari on those disks and bring the ALL/ARR files into the PC.

It wasn't until recently I began to make this final exodus out of the past and into my modern era computer. And it's stable as a rock and I'm constantly amazed how well Cubase works in this machine! I started a few years ago migrating Atari files > PC. It worked but my old puter was way underpowered which probably made me not continue. But this last year I started again and have completed some of the songs that felt most urgent to bring back to life again. And it totally works now! In addition to that I of course have the new Cubase and all the silly plugins I've bought lately and finally my old songs starts to sound somewhat like I heard in my head back then! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Furthermore the automatic tempo mapping command is amazing! I have an old box filled with cassettes I used in my PortaOne 4 track portastudio synced as above. These are converted into MP3 for easy access to songs and sketches. Cubase has done an immaculate job with the tempo tracking and stretching the audio a little for my old songs!!! Now they match up perfectly with the bar/beat grid and I can paint new MIDI on top of the old stuff before I mute the old tape. I can set loops and relearn my guitar tricks from the eighties haha and get fresh dry guitar WAV files for reamping.

I've been busy through the evenings all spring with this and it REALLY WORKS! So thank you Steinberg! 8-)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Cubase 7.5 32 | Intel i7 860 | 8GB | Win7 64 | Emu 1820M | BCR2000 | MPD16 via MIDI
and a few cables ... and some more stuff ... and even more than that, would you believe it ?!!?
HowlingUlf

Postby JAMac » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Why not keep the import function? To be honest, I'm sure there are other programs that have dropped off an import feature, but this is the first one I've come across and I was a PC tech starting way back in 1987. In fact, I've gotten to the state-of-mind where I can see the personalities and ways of thinking that went into the design and implementation of, not just software, but hardware too. I'm a Polymath by way of Autism with an extraordinarily high IQ - I have intimate practical, hands on knowledge and experience that tells me exactly why they would not keep an import feature in their software and up-to-date.

Problem is, i can still open ancient Lotus 123 and WordPerfect files. I can even import my ancient DXF CAD files into almost any drawing software and photos taken on ancient digital cameras, but not my musical creations? Why would I even consider buying Cubase years ago if I were to know they wouldn't support my older creations? I'd gone with someone else who wouldn't even think of putting in place such a restriction on my creative works! That's the purpose of this software; to enable the capture of a person's creations. And if its the works of a musician - and musicians are notorious for going back to their old, unfinished, ancient works and bringing them back to life, why would I want to use a program that made it so difficult to do? I don't have time for such crap! I don't have time to deal with the new 'phenomena' of DPC storms killing my Cubase on my super-powerful Windows 7-64/i5/16GB system! Or the weird mouse/keyboard driver glitch that resets my mouse and keyboard right in the middle of a sentence or a critical keystroke in the middle of a video edit! I haven't even had time to figure out why when I hit Alt-Tab, some random Firefox window will jump from the back, to the very front instead of the window I chose!

My point is this; for every step forward humans make, they take two steps back, and they're incapable of even seeing it happen.

I quote German-Jewish intellectual Walter Benjamin’s "Angel of History":
"This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress."
JAMac

Postby Elektrobolt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:07 am

Like I suggested in the other thread, I personally think that a utility tool(s) that converts ANY of the old Cubase files to whatever the latest appropriate file format is (or some standardized format that Cubase CAN import), ought to be created. This way it can be dealt with as a side project for Steinberg folks and not bog down Cubase itself. (Meaning not an "official" product that people should *witch* about, but be happy about.)

Have lots of old projects myself, even from the Atari days in the late 80's-90's. Like I also stated in the other post, I have some 300+ projects and that's just from when I started using Cubase on Windows, some time in 1997-98, just after I moved to the US.
With Note Expression (VST3.5), individual notes contain their own set of controller data when played polyphonically.
VST Expression, Steinberg VST
Cakewalk Sonar X3 now supports VST3!
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Return to Cubase 6 | Cubase Artist 6 | Cubase Elements 6