Artist series controllers (EuCon) implementation in Cubase 6

Hi All,

I was researching hardware controllers for Cubase, and I’m trying to find the best place to find information on how much control actually has been implemented between Cubase and the Avid Artist Series controllers.

I’ve not been able to find any documentation (manual) anywhere on the Steinberg website about the particulars of what I can expect to control with the Avid Artist series Control/Mix/Transport controllers.

I’ve read some posts in the Nuendo forum about stuff that is not working properly (blank channels not being properly handled, etc.), but no definitive guide as to what I could reasonably expect these controllers to actually control in Cubase 6.5 and higher.

I realize that it’s up to Steinberg to port the EuCon protocol to Cubendo, so that is why I thought Steinberg might offer a definitive reference as to what functionality they implemented using EuCon.

Does anyone here know of a place I can find this information?
Can any of you that use the EuCon controllers offer some insight into how useful these controllers are compared to some of the others like the Mackie MCU Pro, or HUI.

The EuCon devices seem like they have been a PITA to setup, but most seem to be happy with them once they are able to get them working!

Some of the questions I have are:

Can I control my third party plugins like Waves?

Can I control my VSTi’s like Komplete, Omnisphere, Halion 5, etc?

I’ve looked at the CMC series remotes… not too impressed, but I do like the modular approach!

One issue I have with the Mackie MCU’s all in one box design is that if I have to reach for the transport buttons on my desk, I might as well just use the keyboard shortcuts!

At least with the Avid Transport, I can change the location of just that device when I need to!

Sorry for the long post, but any insight, suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Al

There is good integration between the Artist series of controllers and Cubase. I was able to control 3rd party plugins as well as the SB stuff fairly easily.

I own the MCU Pro as well and can attest to an Artist controller being a better controller in concept.

Everything broke down for me (and I eventually sold the Artist Control) because the Eucon adaptor was just awful on my system. It kept crashing and loosing programming on such a random (but regular) basis that it just drove me nuts. I worked many hours with the good people at Avid trying to resolve the problems, but in the end, it was just too much. Many, many other people had the same problems I had so I surmised that the software was just poorly written and sadly said goodbye.

Maybe things work better now. Hope this helps.

-Rich

Thanks for the reply Rich!

I’m sorry you had such a difficult time with those controllers. From what I’ve been reading, it’s kind of hit, or miss!

Can you tell me a little about your system, and the software versions you were using such as:

Mac, or PC?
EuCon ver.?
Steinberg Adapter ver.?
Which control surfaces, and ver.?
Computer Specs?
Windows, or OSX?

I don’t want to sound like I’m interrogating you…but, I just want to compare as many attributes as possible so I might better get an idea what I might be facing!

I know it’s a lot to ask, and I really do appreciate your time and experience!

Thanks in advance!
Al