POLL: Would you like "old" style lane editing, as an option?

Mr M

I think all that funky said is that he understands the code may no longer exist and that at least for now we must “put up” with the situation or “shut up” as the case may be, since the problem has been presented well and I believe it may have already been said that campaigns are such that in and of themselves they are negative, unwarranted etc because they do little to alter the views of development/moderation/marketing and project management staff.

Mr M, It would appear that the only person goading me in this thread, is you!

Absolutely - But only to illustrate to you the way you quibbled over the semantics of MY message, and ignored its actual meaning and instead focussed only the language used.

The points I made in my message were perfectly realistic, despite you focussing on the word “never”.
As an ex-software developer/analyst/IT manager of over 30 years on more platforms and in more languages than you can shake a stick at, I know the score when it comes to software design and development. I can spot the potential pitfalls in this sort of thing a mile away. So, I am only being realistic when I say that, (a) because hardly any new code is totally bug free, and (b) because SB has a track record of frequently missing the “blindingly obvious”, we will in all probability be in for a long and rough ride just to get this baby back to where it was in SX3.
The fact they keep asking for detailed usecases is a prime worry, when all they really need to do is open up SX3/C4/C5 and emulate that lane behaviour exactly.

All of this makes be a saaaad funkydrummer :cry:

It’s a good point but aren’t we missing the larger issue, which is why there was a design change in the first place, ie to allow simultaneous cutting of lanes as indicated here: "ungroup" MIDI lanes / "comping" problems - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Maybe it’s not great for some uses but I’m sure as some have suggested there could possibly be future behaviors, such as muting or cutting “parts” separately or potentially an explode function as Vic France has suggested, which are all good ideas IMV.

I like it that we are now able to see all the lanes without them shrinking to nothing but I would like the option back to used them like in C5 where you can mute the parts you do not want to hear and leave them muted and get on with your work without having to worry about bouncing down the track. I vote for keeping the C6 look but an option to work the C5 way and add a button for the C6 select to hear mode.

I see they have announced Cubase 6.0.3… but no mention of any correction to lanes behavior? This makes me sad… I have found the new lanes system very frustrating. When something is muted, it should always remain muted!!! Also, what’s up with the lanes multiplying like mating rabbits??? For example, recently I had a vocal track with maybe 7 lanes or so… I did some edits, slicing and moving things a bit. I open up the project file the next day and there are 40 lanes in the vocal track alone??? And this is not a show stopper??? That is amazingly time consuming to mess about with.

Please do SOMETHING to correct this new lanes functionality. It is very very frustrating to use right now.

Today, a project with 4 lanes… some were split but everything still on 4 lanes. The project was saved. When reopened… like 15 seperate lanes now on a single track??? The lanes multiply like rabbits. PLEASE FIX THIS!!! THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD/(*insert deity name here) GIVE US AN OPTION DO DISABLE THESE NEW AUTOMATIC FEATURES WITHOUT USING STRINGS OF WORKAROUNDS ! Angels will sing your praises! 71% of your user base will love you more - a LOT more!! We’ll buy you a huge barrel of beer!! Please please pretty please with chocolate sprinkles on top :slight_smile:

Same feelings here…
I stay with C5, simply because the Lane editing in C6 is totally unusable :cry:
If Steinberg does not include the old lane style in the next updates, for sure i’ll make my next album with C5 (which i used for my previous album… 2 years ago !)
Cheers;
F;

1. You can split an event on a single lane by using the Range Tool then Shift-X.

2. I’m unclear what people are objecting to with the MIDI lanes. Do you want MIDI on different lanes to play simultaneously or mute each other? You can get it to to either as it stands now.

After a frustrating start, I am a convert to the new way and so have voted no.

SURE - that is the most useful option with cubase, at least for me :exclamation:

Which one I want is not really the issue (actually I want both those things)
The real issue is that the user should be in control of what gets muted, and not cubase trying to guess for him.
Auto muting is making an assumption on your behalf - that you only want one part active.
Sometimes I want one part active, but sometimes I want 3 parts active.

How is cubase supposed to be able to tell which? It can’t - Cubase is not intelligent enough to make this decision on its own. The new system fits some scenarios, but not the ones I mainly use.

Also, the mutings don’t happen consistently. Sometimes, unexpected things happen (largely dependent on event start position :/) Having to stay alert to unwanted changes made by cubase, removes vital energy from the creative flow…

So Steiny, when can we expect this to be fixed? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I spent ages trying to get C6 to stop playing multiple parts, so I know it can be done. Afair, the way to acheive this is to “fool” the comping feature by using Mutes (proper ones, using the X Tool) and it would probably help if the parts did not have the same start/end points, so the auto-muting doesn’t pick them up. It might be a tricky balance at times, I’ll admit, but something on those lines “worked” for me, even though I wanted it not to!

C’mon steiny throw us a lifeline. When are you going to fix it? I’m dead in the water here.

I see the new lanes have now been introduced in Nuendo and are causing the predicted mayhem:

Hey steiny! My MIDI workflow is still down the toilet due to these changes.
When can we expect to see a fix?

Cmon Steiny give us some info on this…

Are you going to do something about the problem? When?

If you’re not going to do something about it then you should at least have the balls to tell us…

This poll is nearly a year old and not a single thing has changed.
I hope they fix it soon, cos my workflow (and upgrade fee) is still DOWN THE TOILET

Yeah, this is still a show-stopper for a LOT of people (myself included). Can we get a whiff of when something might happen? 3 out of 4 users agree … we want the old behaviour back!

~Stu

Please fix this. I’m editing a pile of ADR takes and it’s a nightmare to use. Please, PLEASE fix this.

~Stu

BUMP, Oh my god how much I dislike this new workflow. Creative editing, like creating a solo from different takes, was MUCH easier before.

Who are the people creating these features? Do they ever actually work with the program?

Bounce