Time Stamp Audio files

Hello,I’m new to Cubase 8,I use Protools HD 11 and DP 8, and both of these programs can time stamp the audio file with the TC,you can even reveal the number in the file,I can’t find a way to do this in Cubase,
Also is there a way to “Spot to time code " feature in Cubase? When I try importing audio files from ProTools, and DP I can’t find a way.
I’ve tried the “Move” to origin” but it’s very unreliable and again I want so be able to view the original user time stamp.
I do a lot of Music for film and TV,and this is must have for transferring back and forth between various projects, editors,and other composer’s on different platforms
I’m digging some of the features of Cubase,but this is a real road block.

Cheers
Tommy

Try using broadcast wav files instead of normal wav files. They support time codes

Will try that ,but the problem is bring files into Cubase,that can be read by other programs,PT, DP. Logic etc all can spot the wave files to TC

Cheers
Tommy

Not at my DAW to check exactly but I think you do this by importing to pool and then from the pool select the file and “insert at origin” or something like that.
If you search the manual for origin I’m sure you’d find it.

Why,doesn’t Cubase show the Time code? it shows the time stamp as samples,in the Origin column of the pool.
This is basically useless info,unless you have a samples to timecode converter.
The real world use is we need to see the time stamp as SEMPTE time code,in the origin column of the pool window.
Why would Cubase not be able to show this,or am I missing something?
thanks for your help.
Cheers
Tommy

Hey Tommy,
Sorry, this isn’t a solution reply. Just wanted to chime in here saying I am a DP user of 15yrs and have just switched over to Cubase Pro 8 this month, prior to DP9 release. I’ve been trying the trial and love it until I ran into the issue of recorded audio not having embedded timestamps AND Cubase’s inability to export mov/video files straight from the project. These two features are ESSENTIAL to film/tv composers especially the timestamps, for when stems are sent to the stage or music editor. Two things DP did from pretty much version 2. I have not found any info saying Cubase can embed smpte in audio files, I’ve found quite the opposite. Same with video export.
Sad really, because how Cubase works with video in a project is like butter compared to DP, and all the other features of Cubase are great…however 2 imperative features to my workflow are missing. I feel your pain.
Even after working with Cubase for the free trial and then BUYING it, I think i may go back to DP for the time being. I can’t switch DAWs in hopes that one day the new one will implement features I’ve been accustomed to for 15yrs.

Again, sorry this isnt a solution reply.
Just wanted to reply saying you’re not the only one.

Best,
Kevin

Again, not a solution, but a suggestion: as far as I understand it, Nuendo would be the tool of choice here – perhaps you might ask in the Nuendo forum? Cubase is generally understood as a music production application, with basic video capability added almost as an afterthought, whereas Nuendo is the flagship post tool.

it’d be great if this can be moved to Features & Requests.

But what feature exactly is being requested? Have people attempted to use broadcast wave format (BWF) files and found the handling of them in Cubase to be absent/faulty/in need of improvement?

<== This setting in Project Setup?

Broadcast wave doesnt retain SMPTE Time Code. no audio files to my knowledge retain the TC stamp at all.

So the ability for audio files RECORDED into Cubase, retain the TC at which they were recorded.

So, when they are imported into PT or other DAWS/software, the embedded timecode can be referenced or ‘snapped to’

As well as the absolute date and time that the recording was started at, BWF does accommodate a time reference – the number of samples since midnight, so it is possible to calculate the exact time of any point in the file with sample accuracy (i.e. far more precise than SMPTE time code). The problem is that Cubase doesn’t embed any useful value for that time reference into files recorded within Cubase itself.

That may be a work around for some, but unfortunately that is not the type of time reference needed in post. We’re talking hours: min: sec: frames.

Switch the time display to timecode before opening the pool.

yeah but even with that, when i send stems to post whether it be my music editor or the stage…the wave files need to have them embedded so they can just check off “snap to original time stamp”, or whatever the option is, in other DAWs. And then a cue sheet is used as backup reference.

That’s only a display thing – any application that can import BWF can display it in timecode, in Cubase for example you can set the format in Project Setup, as well as frame rate and display offset.

I think we’re getting two things confused here – the OP is talking about difficulties importing audio files, whereas your issue appears to be transferring (i.e. exporting) audio to other applications. If you export your file via the Audio Mixdown function in the File menu, and insert the BWF chunk, you can make settings as desired.

oh my, i feel like a fool.
I’ve been testing exporting files without the ‘Insert Broadcast Wave Chunk’ checked.
My projects have been set to ‘broadcast wave’, I just assumed it would export the wave, as is. I didn’t know i needed to actually check it off. =(.

ugh. well this back and forth helped me figure THAT out. so…thank you =)

Apologies, I’ve only been using Cubase for about 4wks, and as much as I’ve think I’ve learned and know my way around…I still have lots more to figure out.

No need to apologise, we’ve all been there! To say this process is non-intuitive would be the understatement of the year. Glad to have helped!

thanks…now if Steinberg can just incorporate video export, I’d be one happy puppy. but thats a whole other post. =)

Yes, at the risk of going off-topic, but why would you want to export video from Cubase, when it can neither generate nor edit video? The video capabilities are merely so you can display a video in sync while composing/comping.