East West QL Piano - Stuck notes

So has it been fixed in the beta version?

Interesting thing to say Jose,
I am a beta tester too but I got hanging notes once yesterday.
I will have to do more extensive testing but it did happen once.

Do you have any steps to reproduce?

I don’t have any steps to reproduce it because I don’t get stuck notes anymore. Everything works fine here. I always clean up my pedal data, so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with me not getting stuck notes. But I did used to get them even then in an earlier PLAY version. Let me know if you were able to figure out how to reproduce it and I will try it out here.

Take care!

FYI, the update that fixes this issue is out:

Enjoy!

Jose, some people (myself included) have found this to fix their problems with endlessly sustained notes, however while recording have found out that the pedal still does not release properly. Do you have that?

No, I don’t. I did have unwanted sustains at some point during playback. But that was just one time and I have not been able to reproduce it ever since. Seems like the bug is still there, but not being able to reproduce it 100% all of the time makes it a bit hard to figure out. If you can come up with a step-by-step recipie that’s bulletproof then we may be able to squash this one for good.

Take care!

Hi,

the sustain pedal still does not release properly here: not while playing live, not while recording and not during playback. A total disaster (for me) with all my play libraries.

Could you post a short audio clip? Also, which libraires are you refering to?

With (a lot of) shame about my timing you can find an audio file (mp3) and a jpeg.
I had to record audio during one playback to freeze the problem because I’m not able to reproduce when I want, but it’s random (during playback, during live playing and recording).
As you can see (and hear) the problem is between the 1st and 2nd bar, the 3rd and the fourth and at the end of the sequence.
I’m using EQWLSO, Symphonic Choirs, Fab 4, MOR 1&2, Ra, Silk, SD2, VOP.

SUSTAIN MP3.mp3 (180 KB)

Gianni,

Thanks a lot for providing those files. I still need to invistigate this further, but I think I may have found the reason why I don’t encounter this issue while others do have it. I need to do more testing before arrivng at a final conclusion. Your files help, thanks!

Hey Jose,

What do you think might be the reason? Maybe it can help me find a way to reproduce it too!

Hi,

I rolled back to Play 3.0.25. In 3.0.25 I have a similar but different problem. Here I have no problems while playing and recording but the sustain remains active (always) after recording a new part. To avoid this I have to go to menu/midi/reset and I have to do this every time I record a new part. Alternatively I can activate reset on stop in preferences/midi and this solves the problem not at the stop after recording, but at the stop after the first playback.
Unfortunately I can’t tell you if I had this behaviour in 3.0.25 before updating to 3.0.30 because I used 3.0.25 only in November to quickly trigger a drum (without using sustain pedal) and before I used 3.0.21 in August to program a guitar (with Cubase 6.0.3 or maybe 6.0.2 ?) without problems.

I hope this can help also with 3.0.30 .

Might as well add me to the list as well. Just trying to deal with it as best as possible since I couldn’t return it, but won’t buy no more until I see results.

Hi Gianni,

I don’t wanna say much yet because all I’m going on is an assumption. But, try this. Record a part using Play 3.0.30 and then edit the sustain pedal messages by shifting them a little to the left in order to avoid hanging notes. See if that gives you clean playback afterwards. Let me know your results. Thanks!

Hi Jose,

I reinstalled 3.0.30 and tried your test:
-record a part
-select all pedal nodes
-move all the nodes a little to the left
-playback the part
2 times I had hanging notes again.

But today the situation with 3.0.30 is totally different: no hanging notes during live playing and recording, and hanging notes (sometimes and not like yesterday) only the first and not always the second time I play a just recorded part; then (the same part) no hanging notes (and without reset on stop or manual reset).

Something new is changed in my system while uninstalling 3.0.30, reinstalling 3.0.25 and installing 3.0.30 again.
The problem is here, but at this point I think I’ll stay with 3.0.30

Latest release seems to have fixed it for me (QLSO Gold)…knock on wood.

Had very severe sustain notes while recording with SO Gold Steinway piano patch.
3.0.30 did not solve it for me unfortunately. Just changed the behaviour.

So, the difference of 3.0.30 from previous versions is:

Stuck notes still occur BUT if you press the sustain pedal they reset so they are not stuck for eternity.

But stuck notes STILL occur. Problem not fixed here… :cry:

And some around this board and at EastWest got a bit ruffled when I delivered a very heavy criticism of the whole process regarding customer service of the amateur user side for commercially prepared sampled sound. There is no customer service! EastWest was charging $500 for symphonic choirs and was ok that it could only be used to have the choir sing Vowels despite the hyped up sell on complete words being part of the repertoire with Word Builder. It never worked except on the Mac side. The techs at Vienna Instruments steered me away from a Mac because the underlying VST technology there was obsolete-back in 2010.

Too bad we’re all hooked and the makers of sampled sounds and DAW systems know it!

I had the problem using the Steinway B (EWQL in PLAY) piano while in Cubase 6. Hanging notes during record and playback. The way I “fixed” it was I loaded up a piano sound from Halion, used it to record. After recording, I assigned the midi channel to PLAY w/ Steinway B. For some reason the Halion instruments recorded the sustain tracking accurately where Play wasn’t, so I was able to use Halion’s recorded data (midi notes and sustain) and assign it to the sound of Play.