First $3.5k+ DAW/Gaming build, need help desperately.

Hello! I am a very VST/VSTi intensive user. I like infusing genres, and these types of projects have lots of variety of sound, and tend to eat my 2008 compaq computer alive :frowning:

Here is software I plan to use.
-Cubase 8 Pro
-Komplete 10 ULT
-Shreddage 2
-Omnisphere 2

Hardware
-Focurite Scarlett 6i6
-Komplete Kontrol S61 Midi Controller

Here is a proposed build (best guesses from 4 month of learning computers)

Anything helps!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($91.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($386.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB PCI-E Solid State Drive ($1039.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($649.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($132.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $3151.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-31 06:29 EDT-0400

Looks like a really nice setup. The only thing that I would consider or change is the CPU cooler. I moved to liquid cooler a few years ago, and simply would not entertain going back. Very quiet, and very cool!!!

Neil.

A few weeks ago I built my new system with an Antec H2o 950 water cooler which I found annoyingly noisy, constantly speeding up and slowing down with the fluctuations of the CPU load/heat.
I did some research and decided to change to a Noctua NH-D15, well, I couldn’t believe the difference, when I first started the computer I thought something was wrong as it sounded like nothing was happening. Very quiet even under heavy CPU load, according to specs 24db max.

Sorry, Neil, but I would recommend the NH-D15 to anyone looking for very quiet, efficient cooler…

I agree, in a silent case a high end air cooler is quieter than liquid cooling.
I had the exact same experience the first time I booted up my new DAW, something had to be wrong when I heard absolutely nothing.
(I’m using a scythe mugen 4 pcgh, also rated at max 24db)

Your storage needs rethinking.

For the OS and programs, a 120GB drive should be just fine, unless your games use us space. For DAW use, a partition of 80-90GB still leaves plenty of spare space in it.

For projects, anything from a 120GB up, depending upon how big your projects are and how many you want to keep on the drive concurrently. You can use it for other data storage, just as long as it is not used at the same time as the DAW is using it.

Libraries go on another drive or so, depending upon the space required.

Do NOT use a 5400rpm drive for ANY audio. You are really asking for latency problems.

Interesting comments. I’ll have a look into it, but my Antec Kuhler is very quiet and I’m very pleased with it overall.

Cheers,

Neil.

I agree with the comments regarding the air cpu cooler, the good & quiet ones use a big fan(s) and if you opt for PWM-fans and your motherboard supports it, chances are that you can control the fans nicely by setting up the control curves (temp. vs rpm). I myself use a Noctua NH-D15 with two NF-A15 140mm PWM-fans on a asus motherboard with a ton of pwm fan connections.