i5 or i7 for Cubase 6/Win 7 system?

Sorry it took so long for my review, Steve, but I’ve been busy using Cubase 6.5 with no problems, and haven’t been on the forum in almost 2 years. A question about the audio pool brought me back here. But I digress…

Now for my belated (but time tested) review of my Sandy Bridge i7 2600 system, running Windows 7 64 bit:

This PC is my studio computer that I use almost exclusively for audio and video recording/editing. I don’t have a ton of programs installed, and I don’t clutter it up by downloading crap I don’t need. By now, I’m sure there are plenty of newer, faster systems out there, but this system as configured is an absolute monster and has been rock solid (as has Windows 7).

As I write this, Cubase 6.5 is humming along; I’m recording and mixing live drum tracks for an instrumental jazz/funk online collaboration project. Currently running 10 tracks of drums, and a stereo mix of Rhodes, synth, and bass from the composer, a midi track, plenty of inserts, plug ins, VST instruments, etc. The ASIO performance barely tops 10%, and is usually around 8%.

I just took a quick look and the Core i7 2600 CPU still hasn’t come down in price at all, 2 years after its release. That says something right there. I’d highly recommend it. Now, back to making music!

Best,
Chris