Using Maschine in Cubase

Speaking of samplers, maschine has a very good one, double click on any sound file in the maschine browser and it loads into a pad, from there the interface to manipulate and play is excellent , I dont do this much at all until just recently

At the danger of going OT, how do you integrate Maschine with Cubase? I for one, couldn’t do it in any daw.

Run it as a vst plug in , in rack , instead of standalone. It will sync to transport. have you tried that ?

The issue is there are a number of parameters to set to use it and once you change a kit it changes those params. How do you deal with that?

The least tedious way I have found is to trigger Machine scenes using Midi note data. Continually mapping parameters is a buzz kill and a time waster. See this video… it shows Ableton but will work with Cubase. - YouTube

At the danger of going OT, how do you integrate Maschine with Cubase? I for one, couldn’t do it in any daw.[/quote]

Run it as a vst plug in , in rack , instead of standalone. It will sync to transport. have you tried that ?[/quote]

The issue is there are a number of parameters to set to use it and once you change a kit it changes those params. How do you deal with that?[/quote]

Interesting, moderators gave me my own topic for going off topic.i didn’t post this…lol.

Yes those issues are challenging. So I set up an instance and name it, and use the different groups for different kits needed this way I avoid reloading kits over kits…I leave them on but pull down volume in daw to isolate as needed, if I run out of kits I open a whole new maschine project.

I try to avoid triggering scenes and just write or perform the beat with blank scenes to fit my film score cues, or if I am doing music instead of film, then it’s easier to not worry about scenes because each music track I do is one Cubase project and the beat starts at 0 in the project.

But back to the reason for my reply , it’s a very nice sample engine and interface that you can play in real time.

But for every group you’ll have to set up group MIDI I/O in maschine - same with Kits. So, isn’t that the same amount of work?

Or are you saying you have, say 32 groups all set up correctly with 32 kits and those are the only kits you use?

No, I don’t think I am going as deep as you are, I have no more than around 8 kits at one time, in one project. one of this kits is just samples I load. The only midi tweaking is in the mixer view if I want to send midi out of maschine, I turn it on and set the midi channel out there …I don’t send midi in…once I commit to the 8 kits I stay with them…and I don’t send midi out much anymore in fact would rather use my tempest as much as possible instead of maschine where I can unless I need a sound/ vibe that the tempest can’t do. …or I simply don’t have the time to program tempest

Am I understanding it correctly that you don’t send MIDI out to maschine? If maschine isn’t receiving MIDI from Cubase, why have it as a VST? So do you just bang out the pads, record inside maschine and record the audio in Cubase? Sorry for all these questions but till I get clarity from some one like you I just have an expensive paper weight gathering dust.

No problem I enjoy helping others when I can … The answer is yes, except I do use some of the patterns instead of banging if out. And I have a handful of the expansion kits which have some good grooves. As a vst plug in I get a good sync to transport, I get up to 16 audio tracks in the daw that are easily automated and grouped in my rythmic VCA as a sub VCA ( rythmic sub VCAs are maschine, bfd, etc) the pads are nice for performance enhancements like a 32nd stutter effect to liven things up and a quick way to mute and solo groups,

And recently I have discovered the sampler which is awesome to use with the pads for jumping around on 8th or 26th notes to do glitch stuff.

Ah ok, so you’re treating Maschine like a completely standalone unit (as a vst) with its own audio outputs, not utilizing any midi EXCEPT you’ve got the advantage of the transport sync so you don’t have to record anything inside Cubase - you just record everything inside Maschine. Yes?? :mrgreen:

If so, I’m going to try that right away and bang myself in the head for not trying earlier. I’ve even tried Maschine standalone with MTC sync which didn’t work well.

Yes, MTC is not tight, good btw, and actually The only thing recorded in maschine are beats they are written in by pencil tool or pad performance and one other point, I don’t have to record maschine audio in Cubase to hear it, but if I am doing commercial work I will record the maschine tracks in Cubase and then mix and master to perfection best I can. So maschine is just a vst in Cubase playing beats synced to transport no different than the stock stienberg groove tools. So to speak. However we have the hardware tool ( I use micro ) which is very good.

Thanks a ton. Great to hear that - I’m gonna give this a shot. I have the Studio hardware gathering dust. One of my mini controllers is resting on top of it due to non use. Might be time to dust it off and start fresh.