How read/move "note expression" data earlier ?

Is there a way to read or move automatically MIDI “Note Expression” data earlier ( I mean BEFORE the note start event) ?

I am testing since a day or two the Cubase “Note Epression” Midi function editing (not the “Expression Map”).
I test several ways to record note by note (midi input on) the appropriate VSL Vienna Library articulation:

• VIP inside VE5
  • VIP as a VST instrument
  • via midi dump VIP button
  • via Remote IOS App
  1. I choose any matrix in VIP
  2. command X,Y,A/B switches with CC instead of keyswitches or other
  3. Say X → CC112 Y → CC113 A/B → CC114 (eventually matrix change with CC115)
  4. I select a note in midi Key editor
  5. In VIP, I select an articulation and press midi dump button (or press directly articulation in Remote App)
  6. Cubase record it and show a special “<>” expression icon at the end of the note rectangle
  7. I repeat 4 to 5 steps
  8. When I play back, the result is working but only in Y axis (I tried other CC values with no succes)

When I double-click on notes to inspect expression data, everything is fine at the right place.
If I select the function in Cubase “Dissolve expressions”, the data are converted into classic CC lanes and then, again, everything is fine… but exactly at the same time as the note start event.

So, in order to work and stay in the “note expression” way, I’ll need a way to read (move) all expression data earlier (2 or 3 ticks).

I tried in the “note expression MIDI setup” page to change the “controller catch range” from 2 to 5 ticks but it seems not to change anything.

Does anybody knows something about that ?
I red somewhere that note expression isn’t really supported by VSL but we are very close of a very very nice way to work fast & easy with any matrix.

I’m really not certain about this, but I think the following might work…
Use the Logical Editor to advance all your CC# data

Upper Section…
Type is___Equal___Controller

Lower Section…
Position__Subtract___0.0.0.5
(My uncertainty is that it will actually play the CC data in advance of the note itself.)
Anyways, if you don’t try it, you’ll never know (so, let us know, please :wink: )

Trying the above method myself (not in VSL, which I don’t have :wink: ), it “kinda” works…
In fact, moving the Note Expression data that was at the start of the note, moves it such that it actually now belongs to the end of the previous note. This isn’t really a problem, unless you delete the previous note, or place a new note between the original two (or you move the original note such that there is now another note between them… that initial Note Expression data won’t move with it).
Also, this might well have the result that it doesn’t work on the very first note in the Part.

You could of course simply convert the Note Expression data to regular CC# data (MIDI menu>Note Expression>Dissolve Note Expression)

Thanks for your reply, Vic_France,
i already succesfully tested your last tweak (dissolve note expression and move data backward) but the goal (hope) is to keep the data stored into notes.
I look for a kind of adjust setting (preference) that could read those expression data earlier…

Unfortunately, when you move a Note Expression data item earlier than the start of the note to which it is supposed to be attached, it moves to the previous note (still plays correctly, but kinda “defeats the object” of being Note Expression :wink: )

I just realised that also, there is no way to transform/move any NoteExpr data in realtime with a logical editor instance in midi insert rack. “Property” parameter is missing from -this- version of logical editor.
Too bad. :cry:

Indeed. the Transformer Insert FX and the Input Transformer (which are both realtime, of course) have no workable “Position” parameter (presumably because you couldn’t set a negative value :wink: )