Sensuous You featuring Kenny and Wim NEW VERSION

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Sensuous You featuring Kenny and Wim NEW VERSION

Postby kzarider » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Something a little different than my usual stuff. I hopefully got the mix okay, but its a work in progress. THANKS TO WIM !!! For his tenor, bari, alto and the great Soprano solo at end.
I am trying this vibedeck app look for the tab that says Sensuous You to hear...let me know what you think I've never tried to mix 10+ horn parts before, was trying to keep the bright parts subdued in certain area so there was more texture...hopefully I got close

Thanks to TwilightSong and Pearldrivers for the suggestions!!! Here is a different version (different ending) Hope I didn't go to far outside the box. Please share your thoughts and the addition to song is around 3:30 or so. I may have to remix but want to hear reactions 1st.
Thanks again
http://vibedeck.com/kennyzarider/sensuous-you--2
Last edited by kzarider on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC i7-4770K Asus Z87 Expert Win8 64bit -24gb ram; Power Notebooks Sandy Bridge 2820k 12gb; Cubase 7.5.2, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Hammond B3-VK3c-Sk2, Rhodes, Clav & Wurly, Waldorf, NI Komplete 8, Pearl E-Drums, Omnisphere, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc... MR816CSX, Motu Express, Motu Midi Interface, Motu 8pre, Motu Track 16 http://www.kennyzarider.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
kzarider

Re: Sensuous You featuring Kenny and Wim

Postby Scab Pickens » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:28 am

Wow, that is a little different! Very refreshing. Excellent musicianship from both of you as always. I thought the reverbs/delays around 01:30 were especially cool.
Scab Pickens

Postby Early21 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:23 pm

It sounds great to me. It must have been hard to work on all those parts remotely, but it sounds very live. Seems to me to want some brushes, but just a thought. Really nice!
Cubase 6.0, Wavelab 6 Essential, HP PE i7950/Win7, Lenovo T61 Laptop/WinXP/ADS Pyro Express Card, MR816CSX
My album Incontinental Breakfast at lborden.bandcamp.com
Early21

Postby bluebob » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:41 pm

very cool! piano and sax are like bread and butter. dig how its out there yet grounds itself with distant melodies and padded warmth. you guys are a great match up.
really floated nicely to this, excellent track!
Bob
Trent River, Ontario
bluebob

Postby Strophoid » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:50 pm

Nice, not really my musical preference but it sounds great and it's certainly well played by both of you.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby kzarider » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Early21 wrote:It sounds great to me. It must have been hard to work on all those parts remotely, but it sounds very live. Seems to me to want some brushes, but just a thought. Really nice!

I agree about the drum thing...I'm eventually wanting to put a live percussionist on it just not sure when I will be able to so I figured I'd just use what I have till then and maybe just leave it alone who knows
PC i7-4770K Asus Z87 Expert Win8 64bit -24gb ram; Power Notebooks Sandy Bridge 2820k 12gb; Cubase 7.5.2, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Hammond B3-VK3c-Sk2, Rhodes, Clav & Wurly, Waldorf, NI Komplete 8, Pearl E-Drums, Omnisphere, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc... MR816CSX, Motu Express, Motu Midi Interface, Motu 8pre, Motu Track 16 http://www.kennyzarider.com/
kzarider

Postby Sherz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:49 am

Strophoid wrote:Nice, not really my musical preference but it sounds great and it's certainly well played by both of you.

+1 8-)
Cubase 7.5 (64bit) | Windows 7 (64bit) | M-Audio Fastrack C600| 3.4Ghz Intel i5 | 8Gb
THE STRAGGLERS CHOONS | MY CHOONS | | VIDEOS | PHOTOGRAPHY
Sherz

Postby matjones » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:15 pm

REALLY enjoyed this!!!!

Personally i wouldn't mess with the arrangement at all! it's a really unusual piece and personally i think that's one of its major strengths, quite brave sans drums but for me it's giving it a kind of 'looseness'... intro reminded me of some of the stuff ornette coleman did on the 'naked lunch' film... NICE piece! :D
Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
matjones

Postby kzarider » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:59 pm

matjones wrote:REALLY enjoyed this!!!!

Personally i wouldn't mess with the arrangement at all! it's a really unusual piece and personally i think that's one of its major strengths, quite brave sans drums but for me it's giving it a kind of 'looseness'... intro reminded me of some of the stuff ornette coleman did on the 'naked lunch' film... NICE piece! :D

Thanks, I am pretty sure you are right about drums. I was thinking maybe colors of percussion instruments. What do you think? I never heard the Naked Lunch tracks before, just listened and Wow that's a great piece of music w/London Philharmonic so glad you turned me onto it !!!
Wim's great playing at intro made me want a Coltrain-Dolphy type part...I panned him to right and I put another sax part on left for that effect. Then of coarse used Bass Clarinet sound in between piano throughout
Have you heard this stuff, its a great Jam. Coltrain and Dolphey in the 60's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wuaquaMmGA
kzarider

Postby matjones » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:42 pm

yeah i see where you're coming from.... really nice how the sop and clari's timbres interlock! Coltrain had the most amazing tone i think, definitely able to give the sax a whole different level of emotion than most before or since! Peter King is probably the closest at the moment in my very humble opinion :D

yeah i think definitely for effect with your tune... maybe as suggested earlier just a FEW brush swishes on selected accents and one or two cymbal swishes at most... i can't really imagine anything esoteric percussion wise that wouldn't sound like it was trying to be different for the sake of it. i still think though that any percussion will add a certain amount of not exactly harshness but it'll detract from the whole vibe of the track.
You've pretty much covered everything register wise...... personally; i wouldn't mess with it!
Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
matjones

Postby HornForHire » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi Kenny,

I really like the end result! 8-)
I don't think it needs anything else.

I enjoyed this collab very much.
Maybe we can do another?... ;)

Cheers,
Wim
HornForHire

Postby plectrumboy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 pm

That was absolutely lovely stuff. Beautiful sounds, lovely playing, lovely arranging. Echoes of Wayne Shorter/Weather Report. Superb.

Steve.
Core i7 2600K @ 4.3Ghz on Asus Z68-V LX 8Gb running Windows 7 64, Samsung RF711 laptop 8 Gb running Windows 8.1 64, 2x UR824, Cubase 7.5 64, Halionsonic 2, The Grand SE3, HSO, Wavelab 8.02, Halion 5, BFD3, NI Studio Drummer, Session Horns, Mark 1, Groove Agent 3.02 with jBridge, Stylus RMX, Trillian, VST Connect Pro.
plectrumboy

Postby Lenny Lee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:08 am

Smokin! Very smooth and original sounding. I thouroughly enjoyed it. Wim, you're tongue must've been wagging
at the opportunity to sink your teeth into something like this. 8-)

Nice work, gentlemen!

Lenny
Lenny Lee

Postby HornForHire » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:42 am

Lenny Lee wrote:Wim, you're tongue must've been wagging at the opportunity to sink your teeth into something like this.

Haha! Absolutely! :D
HornForHire

Postby kzarider » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 am

HornForHire wrote:
Lenny Lee wrote:Wim, you're tongue must've been wagging at the opportunity to sink your teeth into something like this.

Haha! Absolutely! :D

You see this cat Wim is a bad mother--
Shut your mouth
But I'm talkin' about Wim
LOL
kzarider

Postby kzarider » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:46 am

HornForHire wrote:Hi Kenny,

I really like the end result! 8-)
I don't think it needs anything else.

I enjoyed this collab very much.
Maybe we can do another?... ;)

Cheers,
Wim

If you would want to it would be an honor!. I am hopefully (if it works out) cutting a song with Byron House on upright...should be an adventure. I went to see him do a Charlie Mingus class/show on my Birthday (Yesterday) and was surprised that he remember me from playing together over over 10 years ago. Sent him the tune today and he wrote back an hour later asking bit rate. Maybe we can talk about that soon???

Really enjoyed this it was just too easy,
kzarider

Postby HornForHire » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Yes, sounds cool! 8-)
Keep me posted.

Happy belated birthday, BTW! :D
HornForHire

Postby kzarider » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:19 am

HornForHire wrote:Yes, sounds cool! 8-)
Keep me posted.

Happy belated birthday, BTW! :D

Wim,
Still celebrating...I got myself a Hammond XK-3C pro (dual keyboard model) and a 122XB got a great deal :) I have been playing it non stop for the last 2 weeks. Trying to write something worthwhile on it. Hope we speak soon
kzarider

Postby kzarider » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:21 am

plectrumboy wrote:That was absolutely lovely stuff. Beautiful sounds, lovely playing, lovely arranging. Echoes of Wayne Shorter/Weather Report. Superb.

Steve.

Steve what a great complement Zawinul is my hero
kzarider

Postby bluebob » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:11 pm

listening in again. I love this stuff, cool the way the stabs give way to different piano movements. yes I hear reflections of weather report and even shorters solo work. this is unique to you guys though, definitely a great match up here, very cool mix on wims delivery.
Bob
Trent River, Ontario
bluebob

Postby twilightsong » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:51 am

EFFING BRILLIANT

Just enough "out there" but still quite "accessible" -- that takes REAL chops and thoughtfulness

Nice playing by all (both?) musicians, too

You need a better ending, IMO -- one that brings the emotional journey we've been on to a satisfying conclusion

A friend of mine, Brad Dutz, is a much sough-after LA session percussionist who also has a side career in the avant garde -- he'd love to put some tasteful stuff on this track and I do think it would take it to the next level. Let me know, and I'll put you in contact with him
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember
twilightsong

Postby twilightsong » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:54 am

I see you use Imperial Grand. I've been saying for awhile now that it's the BEST sampled grand piano available (at least for Jazz and/or Legit music)
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember
twilightsong

Postby kzarider » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:50 am

twilightsong wrote:EFFING BRILLIANT

Just enough "out there" but still quite "accessible" -- that takes REAL chops and thoughtfulness

Nice playing by all (both?) musicians, too

You need a better ending, IMO -- one that brings the emotional journey we've been on to a satisfying conclusion

A friend of mine, Brad Dutz, is a much sough-after LA session percussionist who also has a side career in the avant garde -- he'd love to put some tasteful stuff on this track and I do think it would take it to the next level. Let me know, and I'll put you in contact with him

I have heard some of Brad's When Manatees Attack cd...an incredible work. Percussion is my thing and I have worked with several of the greats it would really be an honor to speak with Brad. I can PM you on the recording technique if you want the info but it is basically a combination of real saxes along with Vienna Instruments and the Bass Clarinet played off keyboard. I am going to listen to ending again
kzarider

Postby kzarider » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:58 am

twilightsong wrote:I see you use Imperial Grand. I've been saying for awhile now that it's the BEST sampled grand piano available (at least for Jazz and/or Legit music)

I did a session for a guy the other day (who is insane about using the real thing) that has a C7 grand and when I played a copy of a solo piano piece I did he freaked at sound. The piano really can sound great with just a few minor EQ adjustments. Do you use it? If you do I will send you the channel settings I use...would be great to swap info. I also have Ivory but I stopped using it when I got the Vienna Imperial
kzarider

Postby Pearldivers » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Excellent work. I hope Wim gets equal credits!

Both piano and horns sound great. Nice mix.

I think the ending needs a re-thought, it's rather abrupt
after all that goes before.
Pearldivers

Next

Return to Steinberg Lounge