Steinberg Cubase and MicroTuning

Post questions and find answers on our Cubase 6 releases here.

Steinberg Cubase and MicroTuning

Postby BasariStudios » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:14 am

So after all these years of false claims that Cubase has a MicroTuner Insert Effect for MIDI,
has anyone ever successfully detuned a single Note with this thing? Do you know that its
not even working with Steinbergs own plugins, forget third parties...unless i am stupid.
Am i missing something in here???
ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA, i7 860 LynnField, Mushkin Blackline 16GB, Win7 Pro x64. Cubase 6.5. NI Komplete 9 Ultimate.
Nomad Factory Total. EWQL: Holywood Strings Gold, Symphonic Choirs+VOTA, Goliath, Collossus, Gypsy, Symphonic
Orchestra Platinum, Silk, StormDrum 2, Solo Violin and Spaces. Propellerhead: Reason 6.5 and Recycle 2.2. OP-X PRO II.
Forest Kingdom, Arturia V Collection 3. VSL: Special Edition Vol1 Strings, Special Edition Vol3 Strings and VI Pro.
KORG: M3, MS20. Novation Zero SL MK2. TC Electronics Impakt Twin. UAD 710-TwinFinity...and a Marble Ashtray.
BasariStudios

Re: Steinberg Cubase and MicroTuning

Postby popmann » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:28 am

What do you mean a "single note"?

I've used it successfully with both external and internal. In fact, the only time it doesn't work is using Kontakt. Apparently, whatever method they use seems to completely screw with K's scripting engine. Reason #987 to f'n hate Kontakt. POS.

But, I've always got a static setting...meaning, I'm setting it to Just Intonation for the given key center...I'm not trying to dynamically change it...although, I have set up two--for a modulated song, and automated activating and deactivating them.

I don't know that I've used it since version6...I did notice they removed the setting for "internal or external"-which I assume means they're either auto detecting or just using the same method for both. Not sure how that will affect success...but, the reason I haven't is both VSL's new(er) VI Pro2 player and MojoHorns in Kontakt both have their own settings for just intonation...
popmann

Postby SteveInChicago » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:40 am

Yes, it does not work with everything, but it does work.

Edit: Microtuner does work with the Steinberg synths, even though people have reported that tech support says no.

See my post viewtopic.php?f=181&t=35822&
Last edited by SteveInChicago on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cubase 7.5.30 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby BasariStudios » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:00 am

Thanks guys...i simply can't get it to work...i tried with many plugins.
Even with Halion and all of the Steinbergs Stock Plugins...i simply wanna
use it as a simple Microtuner, detune one note in a Scale or whatever
you call it...sam as on Keyboard user scales e tc...
ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA, i7 860 LynnField, Mushkin Blackline 16GB, Win7 Pro x64. Cubase 6.5. NI Komplete 9 Ultimate.
Nomad Factory Total. EWQL: Holywood Strings Gold, Symphonic Choirs+VOTA, Goliath, Collossus, Gypsy, Symphonic
Orchestra Platinum, Silk, StormDrum 2, Solo Violin and Spaces. Propellerhead: Reason 6.5 and Recycle 2.2. OP-X PRO II.
Forest Kingdom, Arturia V Collection 3. VSL: Special Edition Vol1 Strings, Special Edition Vol3 Strings and VI Pro.
KORG: M3, MS20. Novation Zero SL MK2. TC Electronics Impakt Twin. UAD 710-TwinFinity...and a Marble Ashtray.
BasariStudios

Postby SteveInChicago » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:24 am

Hm. Try this file. It's one midi track routed to Halion Sonic SE with a C major scale and the microtuner plugin inserted on the track. It works here.

Does it work?
Attachments

[The extension cpr has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby BasariStudios » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks Steve.
BasariStudios

Postby nylonius » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:37 pm

On Cubase 7 / Mac, the Microtuner plug-in does not work properly on ANY Steinberg instrument. It may initially work for a short while but it soon ceases to have any effect. Meanwhile, the other midi inserts do work, so there seems to be a problem with the Microtuner. Unless I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what that could be.
nylonius

Postby SteveInChicago » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:53 pm

I hope you are also posting this the Cubase 7 forum. It will not be seen here.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby nylonius » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Right. Yes, I did post on the C7 forum, and I sent an email to technical support. But I noticed people were having similar problems in C6.
nylonius

Postby BasariStudios » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:31 am

Nope, not working, the only thing i got it working with is Halion and Retrologue...i wish it worked with Prologue.
BasariStudios

Postby SteveInChicago » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 am

Confirmed, it does not work with Prologue.

It is as if they put the plugin in Cubase, added the ability to use it in a couple instruments, and then abandoned it.

It is not useful at all in this state, except in very specific circumstances. (you have to want to use where it works.)

This is the bad side of the programs development, where things are unfinished, loose ends untied, inexplicable omissions persist literally for years without being removed, explained or put right.

EDIT: Though in fairness I should mention it does work in Halion Sonic SE, which came after the plugin.

EDIT 2: It does work with Prologue, see below.

EDIT 3: No it doesn't.
Last edited by SteveInChicago on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby BasariStudios » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Well thats why thats where i put the stop to issuing Steinberg a check of 149.99 every year.
We stop at 6.5...it was enough for the last 14-15 years of getting check from us.
There is many other choices now...i love the competitive world...7 won't see the light here.
BasariStudios

Postby nylonius » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Comparison of the microtuning feature in Logic and Cubase:
Cubase pros + several tunings can be used on different tracks simultaneously (unlike in Logic)
+ tuning changes can be automated (unlike in Logic)
cons - does not work (unlike in Logic)
nylonius

Postby SteveInChicago » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 pm

:lol:
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby BasariStudios » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:12 am

nylonius wrote:Comparison of the microtuning feature in Logic and Cubase:
Cubase pros + several tunings can be used on different tracks simultaneously (unlike in Logic)
+ tuning changes can be automated (unlike in Logic)
cons - does not work (unlike in Logic)

Yup...it can do many things better then Logic...if it actually works... :D ...but it does not work.
BasariStudios

Postby nylonius » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:06 am

After many support requests I finally got an answer from Steinberg: "None of the VSTi's in Cubase support the microtuning plug-in. That is why it isn't working. From the info I have received it seems that there are no plans to make them support it either."
nylonius

Postby BasariStudios » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 am

nylonius wrote:After many support requests I finally got an answer from Steinberg: "None of the VSTi's in Cubase support the microtuning plug-in. That is why it isn't working.

Then, STEINBERG! why the HELL is the MicroTuning feature in there at all please?

Thanks
BasariStudios

Postby SteveInChicago » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:01 am

It is maddening isn't it? All the more because that information is not correct.

Halion sonic SE does support the plug in for micro tuning
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby BasariStudios » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:19 am

It is actually correct...Halion is the only thing that supports it and we all know that...useless.
BasariStudios

Postby SteveInChicago » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 am

Cubase inspires a lot of anger. I don't mean Halion, I mean the built in Halion Sonic SE.

It's good for people who like the sounds in it; So I have never actually used the micro tuning plug in, only tested it hopefully, and then not used it because it is a closed system.

Cubase has more features than any other sequencer, but to actually use them seems to result in many woes. It's a matter of weighing how much you can put up with to get the benefit of those features.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby BasariStudios » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:45 am

What Steinberg don't understand is that if Micro Tuning actually works they will open
at least another few hundreds of millions population on their customer list...but they don't.
BasariStudios

Postby SteveInChicago » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 am

They might understand that, but how would they get microtuning to work outside of their own products?

BasariStudios are you saying microtuning does not work for you in Halion Sonic SE? Because it does for me.

What do you use for microtuning instruments then?
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby BasariStudios » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:29 am

Hey Steve, i stated above it does work on Halion...what i would like to see is working
on the other (at least) Steinberg Synths, i would love to have it working on Prologue,
i will guarantee Steinberg another 250 of my customers going to Steinberg ONLY if there
was a way to MicroTune Prologue. For MicroTuned Sounds i usually use Kontakt Libraries
or my Kronos or M3. Here you can hear some of my programming work:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BasariStudios?feature=mhee

Not your music but you will have a clue of some stuff. I do a lot of programming on Physical
Modeling and FM Synthezis to get a lot of Acoustic Sounds. Here you can hear some, everything
is pure programming, no Samples used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXJBgcmQvzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psb64h0KOz0
BasariStudios

Postby SteveInChicago » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:04 am

I checked your youtube videos– You get a great sound.

Though I am mainly a jazz violinist I studied maqam and have played with Egyptian and other M.E. ensembles, playing classical Arab music and Oum Kalthoum, Fairouz, excerpts and Sayid Darwish, Rabanni brothers and other composers. I have yet to come close to mastering maqam, that's for sure. But I'm not entirely unfamiliar with your music.

Thanks for the share.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby BasariStudios » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:38 am

Thanks Steve...and holy smokes...the Music you play here is what i play for the last 25 years.
I am actually not from Middle East, i am from the Balkans, i just do programming for the Arab
world but my main music is Balkan...also you can find more here: http://www.basaristudios.com/korgpa.html
I mostly play Gypsy/Roma/Tsigani music (my heritage is Turkish). I also play with a guy from Bulgaria
here in NYC, almost everyone knows him, Yuri Yunakov, a Saxophonist...any relations with the Balkan?
You shocked me...you know my music probably more then i do...i love this style too, it is more Romanian
oriented...Hora/Chardash/Trakia e tc...Django...i love it.
BasariStudios

Next

Return to Cubase 6 | Cubase Artist 6 | Cubase Elements 6