Still no 'bounce in place'. Can a moderator explain?

Interested in Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!

Still no 'bounce in place'. Can a moderator explain?

Postby Steve Helstrip » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Whilst I welcome many of the new features, I'm dumbfounded why 'bounce in place' hasn't been implemented. It's been requested more than any other feature I can remember. Could a moderator take a moment to explain why, because I've never seen a response from Steinberg on this.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Mac Pro i7, 12Gb, OSX10.9 MacBook Pro i7, 4Gb, OSX10.9
Cubase 7.5
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial
Steve Helstrip

Re: Still no 'bounce in place'. Can a moderator explain?

Postby bakiki » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:27 pm

+1
bakiki

Postby NoTrac3 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:31 pm

+1

a time-saver feature that can't be out of a serious DAW....
NoTrac3 system: Cubase 6, Halion Sonic 1.5 , Wavelab 6, Virtual Guitarist 2 on intel Q9550, Alesis IO 26 Firewire, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700, 2x2TB HD, Samsung 305T 30'' monitor
NoTrac3

Postby HeavyBeats » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:45 pm

so important function and steel not available in cubase... this is really sad :(
Cubase 7, Ableton Suite 9, Studio One,NI Komplete 8 , Halion4...
HeavyBeats

Postby Jeff Hayat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:47 am

Can you explain what bounce in place would do?
Jeff Hayat

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:51 am

Jeff Hayat wrote:Can you explain what bounce in place would do?

it would render a selected event (audio or midi) including (or excluding) whatever vst processing resides in the insert slots on the channel that event is on. basically like the 'bounce' command, except with the option to include the inserts and possibly automation. the resulting event is a standard audio event, unlike frozen tracks.
c6, c7.5, pc, w7, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, SSL duende, RME HDSP, audeze lcd-2, avantone mixcubes, slate digital, ...
lukasbrooklyn

Postby Woodcrest Studio » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 am

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... lit=bounce

Cmon people keep it to a single thread.

Close this one

GR
Tom Zartler

In person or from afar: helping make people's music a pleasurable listening experience.

::::Woodcrest Studio Homepage::::
::::Woodcrest on Facebook::::

Cubase 6.5, ProToolsHD10, 4 rooms, a hall, bathroom, kitchen, computer, mics, outboard and an excessive Imagination.

If in a creative blackout, stare at the dancing cow for inspiration.
Woodcrest Studio

Postby andyjh » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:50 am

Why a "Bounce in place" function ? just use the existing Audio Mix down - a single shortcut key calls up the audio mix down.

What would "Bounce In Place" need to do, that "Audio Mixdown "doesn't already do?
Master PC & Slave: Windows 7 64-bit / i7 / 24Gb RAM / Dual monitors / MOTU interfaces
Networked via VE Pro
Equipment list: - adequate
andyjh

Postby Jeff Hayat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:34 am

Tom. Shush.

andyjh wrote:Why a "Bounce in place" function ? just use the existing Audio Mix down - a single shortcut key calls up the audio mix down.

What would "Bounce In Place" need to do, that "Audio Mixdown "doesn't already do?

After reading Lukas' description, I was wondering the exact thing. Then I looked at the manual:

Creating a new clip or audio file from the selection
You can extract a selection from an event and either cre-ate a new clip or a new audio file, in the following way:

1. Make a selection range.

2. Holding [Alt]/[Option], right-click to open the contextmenu and select “Bounce Selection” from the Audio sub-menu. Provided that the “Popup Toolbox on Right Click” option in the Preferences dialog (Editing–Tools page) is activated, a right-click holding a mod-ifier key brings up the context menu. A new clip is created and added to the Pool, and another Sample Editor window will open with the new clip. The new clip will refer to the same audio file as the original clip, but will only contain the audio corresponding to the selec-tion range.

- and then I tried it myself - using bounce for the first time.

If you do an Audio Export, a new event is created, but on a different audio track. And if you have a large project, that track is going to be all the way at the bottom, forcing you to not only mute the old event, but to also scroll down to the newly created track, grab it and move it (if need be). But with bounce, the old event is replaced with a new one being created in it's spot and on that same track. So I think the idea for 'bounce in place' is that you can avoid all the extra work, by simply replacing an existing audio event right where it resides. But the problem now, appears to be that with a bounce, the newly created event does not contain inserts, and automation. 'Bounce in place' would address that.

Do I have that correct?
Jeff Hayat

Postby mozizo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 am

f you do an Audio Export, a new event is created, but on a different audio track. And if you have a large project, that track is going to be all the way at the bottom, forcing you to not only mute the old event, but to also scroll down to the newly created track, grab it and move it (if need be). But with bounce, the old event is replaced with a new one being created in it's spot and on that same track. So I think the idea for 'bounce in place' is that you can avoid all the extra work, by simply replacing an existing audio event right where it resides. But the problem now, appears to be that with a bounce, the newly created event does not contain inserts, and automation. 'Bounce in place' would address that.

Do I have that correct?

well,i think most users here including myself, would use the "bounce in place" function to bounce midi and/or instrument track(also audio event but we can do it now too),when we decide to do further editing or mixing with audio event rather then midi event. it will function as the freeze function but it will be actually make an editable audio event in the arranger window.
probably we can program a macro to do this meanwhile or something similar. :idea:
cubase 7.5.10 64bit ,halion 5
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win7 64bit 8gb
(PC Desktop AMD dual core win xp32 cubase 7-32)
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6 Kawai Mp4 Korg PA800.
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Re: Still no . Can a moderator explain?

Postby Jeff Hayat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 am

mozizo wrote:well,i think most users here including myself, would use the "bounce in place" function to bounce midi and/or instrument track...

Ok, now I am lost. What would 'bounce in place' of a midi and/or instrument track do that can not already be done with 'audio export' of a midi and/or instrument track? What would the difference be?
Jeff Hayat

Postby mozizo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:58 am

Ok, now I am lost. What would 'bounce in place' of a midi and/or instrument track do that can not already be done with 'audio export' of a midi and/or instrument track? What would the difference be?

actually im not sure ;) maybe im missing something,never used the Logic or other Daw that has that.
but for me it looks the same has exporting but with a dedicated button and faster process and placement in the arranger window.
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Postby ebryant » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:53 am

Bounce In Place would let you convert an Instrument track (software or external) to audio but keep it on the same track (the track would need to be converted to audio) with all the same plugins and routing, optionally you could include inserts in the bounce. It's like freezing a track and then converting it to audio but not dumping it somewhere else in the project.
ebryant

Postby giankam » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:16 am

+1

The lack of this function is a huge pita for those working with many inst track. I know there are work arounds but bounce in place is a major workflow improvement. See what s1 is doing with the new release.
I7 3930k | Asus P9X79 | Fireface UFX | 16 GB | Win 7 64 | Cubase 7.5.10 64 | UAD OCTO | Asus GT 630 2GB
giankam

Postby patcub » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:48 am

+1

bounce in place please.

thanks.
patcub

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:22 am

i add an extra group into my project called *RECORD* i route this to no bus. if i ever want to record a VST with effects etc i'll just route the vst to that channel (or send it to it) add a new audio chan, have the record group as the input and press record. I personally am not sure if i would ever need bounce in place, im sure there are lots of people that do of course.

I suspect the reason it has not been implemented as it is a very destructive route to take, and may confuse new users

Postby tepa » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Xtigma. wrote:i add an extra group into my project called *RECORD* i route this to no bus. if i ever want to record a VST with effects etc i'll just route the vst to that channel (or send it to it) add a new audio chan, have the record group as the input and press record. I personally am not sure if i would ever need bounce in place, im sure there are lots of people that do of course.

I suspect the reason it has not been implemented as it is a very destructive route to take, and may confuse new users

In that way you will still need to bounce your record track if you want to use it into a instrument... at the moment i doing like this > record to group > then bounce
Bounce in place would open new way to work in Cubase, like bounce directly to a sampler vst instrument..... which would make me less lazy to experiment new idea :)
Mac 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon / Ram 8G / OSX 10.8 / RME FF800 / PowerCore / UAD 2
tepa

Postby hazybrain » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:28 pm

+1
hazybrain

Postby sidfrancis » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Jeff and all others who do not understand the necessity of this function:
It does the same as the audio export function and the manual shifting/placing of the newly created waveform but in a fraction of time and with a fraction of clicks.
It is not a new function but a much much better workflow. Since I am bouncing ALL my midi recordings I know what I am talking about. I come from Samplitude where I BIP´d all the time and the change to Cubase has brought new additional steps to my working method.

So +100
Liebe ist das Zentrum der Musik. Ist keine Liebe darin handelt es sich um ein Geräusch
sidfrancis

Postby MrMeshuggah » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:13 pm

+1

Highly necessary to help simplify Cubase.
MrMeshuggah

Postby irregular » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:56 pm

+1

For this I've been using internal summing for years and I still don't like to do it, it's too much clicking and guessing.
When you freeze a track it makes an audio file so what is so difficult about making that audio file accesable while changing that instrument track to an audio track?
Cubase 6.5.3 x86 Windows 7 SP1 x64
Intel Core i7 3930K / 16 GB RAM DDR3 / GB X79-UD5
My Soundcloud
irregular

Postby solidsilver » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:37 pm

For me, this is the only thing Cubase lacks. The other was the analyser in the EQ (but all sorted now).

I cannot describe how less cumbersome this feature is unless used. Coming from Logic I was disappointed it was missing. Even the macro solution is long handed. Studio one has a key combo to do it too.

Pretty please Steinberg.
Win 7 Pro 4770K, UAD Apollo Quad, UAD Quad, Dangerous DBox, Elysia Xpressor, Adam A7 and Sub 8.
solidsilver

Postby joechip » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:02 pm

+1
Agree that audio mixdown can be a right PITA. Never felt the need to post here up until now. I would like this implemented in the next round of updates and not have to wait until Cubase 7.5
Last edited by joechip on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joechip

Postby Jeff Hayat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:22 pm

ebryant wrote:Bounce In Place would let you convert an Instrument track (software or external) to audio but keep it on the same track (the track would need to be converted to audio) with all the same plugins and routing....

It seems that what you just said, is that the Intsrument Trk itself would be converted to an audio track. Well, you cant do that - say you need to go back and record more MIDI? Say you have multiple VIs associated with that instr trk - then what?
Jeff Hayat

Postby mozizo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:50 pm

It seems that what you just said, is that the Intsrument Trk itself would be converted to an audio track. Well, you cant do that - say you need to go back and record more MIDI? Say you have multiple VIs associated with that instr trk - then what?

it would be great to have it like the Freeze function, keep the midi track locked but make an audio event associated with it. then if u need u can unfreeze it again.
i assume it should be freezing with some options for user to decide how it reacts.
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Next

Return to Presales