Moved from Logic miss list

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Moved from Logic miss list

Postby Swi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Requests

I would like to have a "select top Line" and Select Bottom Line" feature in the near future. There may be a way to split out the separate voices in a chord progression if there is please call me and let me know.

"Toggle Automation" instead of "Show Automation" would also be a more useful key command. I need 2 key commands to do this now which is a waste.

"Move region to selected track" is also a good key command that I miss from Logic. select a track, then select a region,hit the key and that region is now on that track same place in time.

When I open a template from the new launch screen (name?) I wich it save the file and folders all at once. Having to do a save for each file after I just saved it is annoying. there should be an option for this at least.

I would also like to see a Project backup folder that would hold all the back files. I have mine set to 100 so it gets fairly long after a while.

I would like to have toggle tools so when I hold down a key I key have the magnifier only while that key is pressed, and be able to spread many tools on many keys. I seem to have one toggle tool to loop regions out which I love but having to dance around the numbers to get my magnifying glass is slowing me down.

"Nudge by ticks" and amount that I can set. "Use quantize" is a little tedious if I don't want to worry about putting the Quantize value back to where it was. Even if there was a "Nudge by10 ticks" "5 Ticks" just so I can nudge the feel of things around without having to go to the mouse. I did this a lot and mis this very much. I can nudge midi notes or audio regions around with a key command hitting it several times if needed just to move it a tiny bit allows to let go of the mouse and hit something which I prefer.

I which the mixer would chase the view of the project window so if I am working on a particular track and I need to look at the mixer I dont have to then switch the mixer configuration from what I was last working on. I wich it would follow me where ever I am or have a key command to toggle this "follow" function.

More to come.

Loving cue base for so many reasons though.
swi
4770K i7 @4.2GHz Windows 8.1
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Motu Midi Express 128 x 3
1 dual xeon slave with 256GB or ram running VEP
Swi

Re: Moved from Logic miss list

Postby SteveInChicago » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Looks like you just dived in and are operating in intuitive mode.

Looks like Cubase already has most of the requests you made. I'll just answer a few...
Swi wrote:Requests

I would like to have a "select top Line" and Select Bottom Line" feature in the near future. There may be a way to split out the separate voices in a chord progression if there is please call me and let me know.

This is one of the main new features. Look at the Logical Editor, and everything having to do with chords.
Swi wrote:"Toggle Automation" instead of "Show Automation" would also be a more useful key command. I need 2 key commands to do this now which is a waste.

Swi wrote:"Move region to selected track" is also a good key command that I miss from Logic. select a track, then select a region,hit the key and that region is now on that track same place in time.

This can be done with macros in Key Commands.

Swi wrote:When I open a template from the new launch screen (name?) I wich it save the file and folders all at once. Having to do a save for each file after I just saved it is annoying. there should be an option for this at least.
Don't understand that question, sorry.

Swi wrote:I would also like to see a Project backup folder that would hold all the back files. I have mine set to 100 so it gets fairly long after a while.

Swi wrote:I would like to have toggle tools so when I hold down a key I key have the magnifier only while that key is pressed, and be able to spread many tools on many keys. I seem to have one toggle tool to loop regions out which I love but having to dance around the numbers to get my magnifying glass is slowing me down.
This is oft-requested, search for it and give a +1

Swi wrote:"Nudge by ticks" and amount that I can set. "Use quantize" is a little tedious if I don't want to worry about putting the Quantize value back to where it was. Even if there was a "Nudge by10 ticks" "5 Ticks" just so I can nudge the feel of things around without having to go to the mouse. I did this a lot and mis this very much. I can nudge midi notes or audio regions around with a key command hitting it several times if needed just to move it a tiny bit allows to let go of the mouse and hit something which I prefer.

Macros can do that.

Swi wrote:I which the mixer would chase the view of the project window so if I am working on a particular track and I need to look at the mixer I dont have to then switch the mixer configuration from what I was last working on. I wich it would follow me where ever I am or have a key command to toggle this "follow" function.

Swi wrote:More to come.
Maybe explore a bit more first? Looks like you have to get used to different workflow paradigms.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby JMCecil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Swi wrote:I which

I think you want to wish for stuff ... "which" is asking a question.
the mixer would chase the view of the project window so if I am working on a particular track and I need to look at the mixer I dont have to then switch the mixer configuration from what I was last working on. I wich it would follow me where ever I am or have a key command to toggle this "follow" function.

As Steve has pointed out, almost everything you wanted can already be done. Just look at the macro section of the key commands.

Preferences has an option for the mixer to follow the project window.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Swi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Thanks guys,
Yeah most of this is growing pains except for my poor spelling... I wish the mixer would follow the configurations that I set. It seems to select the same tracks but it won't jump from configurations? If it does can you please tell me where to find this pref.
thanks again,

swi
swi
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Swi

Postby Swi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 pm

I also wish could ancor a time code to a bar so that no matter what tempo I was at before or after this downbeat of a bar this bar would always be at the selected time code. For example set tempo at 120, set time code at cursor bar 2 01:10:57:19, then if I change tempo before bar 2, bar 2 would still be 01:10:57:19 or the same time code.
swi
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Swi

Postby Swi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:00 am

Is there a place I can turn off the prompt "You have modified the timecode offset. Do you want to keep the project contents at it's timecode position."
swi
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Swi

Postby Swi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 am

I also wish Cubase would make a project folder and save the session file with the same name inside that project folder, create a backup folder for all the back up files.
swi
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Swi

Postby JMCecil » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 am

Swi wrote:I also wish could ancor a time code to a bar so that no matter what tempo I was at before or after this downbeat of a bar this bar would always be at the selected time code. For example set tempo at 120, set time code at cursor bar 2 01:10:57:19, then if I change tempo before bar 2, bar 2 would still be 01:10:57:19 or the same time code.
Set the track to linear mode
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby JMCecil » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 am

Swi wrote:I also wish Cubase would make a project folder and save the session file with the same name inside that project folder, create a backup folder for all the back up files.

look at project archives.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Swi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 am

JMCecil wrote:
Swi wrote:I also wish could ancor a time code to a bar so that no matter what tempo I was at before or after this downbeat of a bar this bar would always be at the selected time code. For example set tempo at 120, set time code at cursor bar 2 01:10:57:19, then if I change tempo before bar 2, bar 2 would still be 01:10:57:19 or the same time code.

set what track to linear mode? I am talking about the whole session.?? please explain thank you.
swi
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Swi

Postby JMCecil » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Swi wrote:
JMCecil wrote:

set what track to linear mode? I am talking about the whole session.?? please explain thank you.

Please read the manual on how to set tracks and media items to linear or musical mode. Also, you want to learn how to use the utility in the tempo track for inserting, changing and removing time and/or changing signatures on the signature track.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Swi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Thank you,

I have been reading the manual, all of it. And I will again to try to figure this out. I would guess from what you saying I may be able to put all tracks in linear mode to do this, but again my response is why do I have to do that when I simply want to put an anchor down at bar 1 or 2 or 8?

I already have a 2 step fix for this but I should be able to do it in one step.

Can anyone tell me (and please don't tell me to read the manual again) how to turn off the prompt when "entering time code at cursor" that says

"YOU HAVE MODIFIED THE TIMECODE OFFSET, DO YOU WANT TO KEEP THE PROJECT CONTENT AT IT'S TIMECODE POSTIONS?"

This is step 4 if you count having to press enter twice after pasting in the time code that I want at that bar.

Thanks for listening.
swi
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Swi

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Forget about the idea of a timecode anchor, I don't think Cubase thinks like that.

I don't quite get what you are trying to do.

It sounds like you want a certain point in a Midi part to remain at the same point on the timecode ruler even if you slow down or speed up the preceding section, and have the all the midi events remain at their original bars and beats.

Have I understood?
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby JMCecil » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 pm

In other words, maybe he has tied an event to a particular frame of video. He wants that item to remain at that point. It can be done, although Cubase is not the best tool for working that way.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Swi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:53 am

Here is an example of what I do. I have a tv show or film I am working on. So I'm on any cue lets say 2m05 for this, you can call it anything it's allthe same.

I make a session folder from my template (command N) and then save this session in that folder (not sure why it does not do this automatically?).

Now I look on my cue sheet that tells me all the music I have to write for the film / episode.

I copy the start time out of the cue sheet and paste it into the session start time.

press enter (twice again I don't know why twice?) then I get the infamous prompt that I always answer the same way because I am writing music not doing sound design, or a dub mix re-conform.
"YOU HAVE MODIFIED THE TIMECODE OFFSET, DO YOU WANT TO KEEP THE PROJECT CONTENT AT IT'S TIMECODE POSTIONS?"
luckily I have the option to use the arrow keys to select the "no" option. so arrow to the left then enter (again),

now my session starts at the time code where the scene starts. Great right? Well the thing is I want to watch the scene before this and then see how the click track rides the dialogue. I want to hit certain music points and build phrasing that stays out of the way but also helps sell the story. I like to watch the scene a few time with just the click.

So I watch the scene and it's obvious that the tempo is to fast so I slow down the tempo. Great Now I am close. I have been using pre roll to watch a little bit of the scen before where the music will start. so now I use the "set timecode at cursor" command for bar 1 (which is the second or 3rd bar of the session.

I start to write some rough idea and I realize this is still to fast. Now I go back to the top change the tempo and my sync is all off. If I had something working before I may not get it perfectly back the way it wasbut most annoying of all, after I change the tempo I have to repeat all of this....

I copy the start time out of the cue sheet and paste it into the "set time code at cursor".

press enter (twice again I don't know why twice?) then I get the infamous prompt that I always answer the same way because I am writing music not doing sound design, or a dub mix re-conform.
luckily I have the option to use the arrow keys to select the "no" option. so arrow to the left then enter (again),

So every time I change the tempo or change my mind about the tempo (this is the entertainment business so I reserve the right to change my mind), I have to go through this process.

If I could ancor bar 1 (or any bar I choose) to a time code and have the session pivot around this one ancor I would never have to deal with this issue.

There should be a tempo list and the first tempo in the list would also be the smpte ancor for the session.

I hope this clarifies my issue.

This should be a set and forget, not a set and revisit a 5 or 6 step process every time you change your mind.

Redonk yall!!
swi
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Swi

Postby Swi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:05 am

This is about half of this folder.
I am not sure we have folders at all?
can we have a folder that automatically collects everything that ends in .bak?
pretty please.
I like column view, really I do..
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 5.35.24 PM.png
(467.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
swi
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Swi

Postby JMCecil » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 am

Swi wrote:If I could ancor bar 1 (or any bar I choose) to a time code and have the session pivot around this one ancor I would never have to deal with this issue.

Cubase doesn't work that way exactly, is primarily beat oriented. However, you can do what you are saying. Here is a video (sorry it is so crappy, I through it together fast).

When in musical mode, the clips stay on the beat. When in linear mode, they stay at the timecode. You can jack around with the media event setting to get them to stretch in various ways if the tempo changes on the clip itself. You can also create macros that quickly take you between modes for the project.

Linear example
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Swi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:42 am

One more wish,
Save a screenshot of the session as the file icon.
This is supper helpful when sifting through version of the session.
Most of the information is right there is the screenshot so you know what was in that session.
swi
32GB ram
RedNet 3 x 4
Swi

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions