[CONFIRMED 7.5] "Click and drag to zoom" has delay

Please use this sub forum to post issues you encounter with Cubase 7
and Cubase Artist 7

[CONFIRMED 7.5] "Click and drag to zoom" has delay

Postby emreyazgin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 pm

EDIT: Special thanks to SteveinChicago, he managed to make sure the US support team understood and confirmed the issue and they reported this to the developers. I hope there will be a fix soon. For now, they suggest to use H and G keys to zoom in out rather than click and drag as a solution. Just to recap, the problem was that when one wants to click and drag to zoom, there is a delay before it actually starts zooming..

Helge and others,

I know I have already submitted this issue twice and it was moved to miscellenous section because it could not be recreated by others. This time I am including two videos, one done in windows machine and one in osx mac pro machine. If the same thing is happening in two completely different architectures it should surely mean something. It is either happening due to upgrading from previous maintenance update or is an issue that I couldn't explain properly. If someone does understand the syndrome and recreate it PLEASE do reply as this problem is making my 10 year old workflow slower with cubase.

The syndrome is: When you click and drag on timeline with mouse up and down to zoom in and out horizontally, there is a slack which wasn't there before 7.0.2. This happens in BLANK template, with no tracks, or with tracks, doesn't change with track count.

Here is the syndrome in windows machine (after 00:27 its cubase 6.5 as a comparison with no such issue)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Bp-lkmZPI

Here is the syndrom on a completely different osx machine:
http://youtu.be/LyB07JUmjCs
Last edited by emreyazgin on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
I7 2600K, Gigabyte Z58X - UD5 (Texas Instrument FireWire chipset), 16GB Kingston 1600 Mhz RAM, 4 TB total HD, Passive Sapphire 1GB video card, Coolermaster case + Coolermaster 750 Watt Silent PSU, UAD 2 QUAD NEVANA, UAD 2 PCIe, RME FIREFACE 800, Nord Lead 2X, Virus C, Yamaha P80, Nord Electro 3, Safe Sound Audio P1, Avedis MA5, Buzzuadio Potion, Speck ASC-V, API 512C, DIY 1176 clone, MOTU 128 Express, Lexicon MPX1, TC M-One, Yamaha SPX-2000, Marshall JMP1, Radial Jensen DI, Adam A7, Mackie 10" sub, iNano monitor controller....Lots of nice VSTI's, VST "soft-board" and effects...ah and two small Creative speakers ;)
emreyazgin

Re: "Horizontal zoom using mouse" slack problem (WIN 7 & OSX)

Postby isaacmysteinberg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:32 am

mmm ... How strange! :? Well I feel the same. I never noticed this. :o :shock:
Cubase 7.0.5 32/64 | Widows 8 pro 64x | I7 2,67 9RAM | Yamaha N12 I yamaha Kx25 I Steinberg Absolute +, Halion 5 and more.....
isaacmysteinberg

Postby emreyazgin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 am

I have been using cubase since late 90s everyday, and for hours. I can notice these things right away but it is so hard to explain, that's why I made the videos. I hope someone else also confirms this so that Steinberg acknowledges it as an issue. So to be sure, you do feel the same way means you are confirming the issue, right?
I7 2600K, Gigabyte Z58X - UD5 (Texas Instrument FireWire chipset), 16GB Kingston 1600 Mhz RAM, 4 TB total HD, Passive Sapphire 1GB video card, Coolermaster case + Coolermaster 750 Watt Silent PSU, UAD 2 QUAD NEVANA, UAD 2 PCIe, RME FIREFACE 800, Nord Lead 2X, Virus C, Yamaha P80, Nord Electro 3, Safe Sound Audio P1, Avedis MA5, Buzzuadio Potion, Speck ASC-V, API 512C, DIY 1176 clone, MOTU 128 Express, Lexicon MPX1, TC M-One, Yamaha SPX-2000, Marshall JMP1, Radial Jensen DI, Adam A7, Mackie 10" sub, iNano monitor controller....Lots of nice VSTI's, VST "soft-board" and effects...ah and two small Creative speakers ;)
emreyazgin

Postby isaacmysteinberg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:50 am

hahaha ... :lol: as nearly as I! I've been using cubase since atari :oops: ... but definitely ... I'm very very confused! hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: ... The problem is that now I will see it every day! :x ;) :D
Cubase 7.0.5 32/64 | Widows 8 pro 64x | I7 2,67 9RAM | Yamaha N12 I yamaha Kx25 I Steinberg Absolute +, Halion 5 and more.....
isaacmysteinberg

Postby J-S-Q » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 pm

I am also experiencing this issue.
Cubase 7.5 64 Bit, Win8.1 64Bit
CPU: Intel 4930k. MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-EX79-UP4. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Jet Black. GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GV-N96TSL GeForce 9600GT. SYSTEM DRIVE: Corsair M4 SSD 128GB. AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg MR816-CSX
J-S-Q

Postby dr4kan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:45 pm

I confirm the issue though it does not happen in 100% of cases.
Cubase 7.5, Mac i7 16 GB ram (512 + 512 Samsung 840 pro), OSX 10.9.0
MR816X, Motu Ultralite, UAD 2, MCU Pro, CC121, Adam A7x, Axiom 49...
dr4kan

Postby emreyazgin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:49 pm

dr4kan wrote:I confirm the issue though it does not happen in 100% of cases.

Thank you for confirming guys!
emreyazgin

Re: [CONFIRMED] "zoom /w mouse" slack problem (WIN 7 & OSX)

Postby emreyazgin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:41 pm

I have also tested this on OSX Lion as well as Snow Leopard, same issue...
emreyazgin

Postby nicoroy123 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:00 pm

I confirm this to be an issue, I am also experiencing it all the time.

I thought it was a performance issue due to my project window that was very loaded (a lot of tracks and audio/midi events) so I didn't bother too much, but if some users have expericenced it on a blank project, it confirms this to be an issue that should be addressed.

Regards
nicoroy123

Postby SteveInChicago » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:22 pm

This is possibly by design; a delay for the purpose of avoiding the zoom happening when the user only means to drag the cursor. I do not find this to be a problem, and I like it. In earlier version of Cubase I remember it being too easy to zoom unintentionally.

Whether the delay should/could be fine-tuned is a different question.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby emreyazgin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:This is possibly by design; a delay for the purpose of avoiding the zoom happening when the user only means to drag the cursor. I do not find this to be a problem, and I like it. In earlier version of Cubase I remember it being too easy to zoom unintentionally.

Whether the delay should/could be fine-tuned is a different question.

It is definitely not by design because it it were it would have to do it all the time. If you watched the videos I have created carefully there are times it does it and there are times it doesnt...
emreyazgin

Postby emreyazgin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm

nicoroy123 wrote:I confirm this to be an issue, I am also experiencing it all the time.

I thought it was a performance issue due to my project window that was very loaded (a lot of tracks and audio/midi events) so I didn't bother too much, but if some users have expericenced it on a blank project, it confirms this to be an issue that should be addressed.

Regards

Thank you for confirming. I use this function of Cubase A LOT and due to this bug I have switched back to 6.5 for editing stuff because it is very annoying to be slowed down by the software when you are trying to work fast..
emreyazgin

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:51 am

emreyazgin wrote:It is definitely not by design because it it were it would have to do it all the time. If you watched the videos I have created carefully there are times it does it and there are times it doesnt...

Well, what I saw in your videos and also on my machine is that if you press the mouse button and drag slowly upwards or downwards there is a certain distance you must travel before the zoom begins, and this is consistant in your video and here. Once the zoom begins, as long as the mouse button is held down zooming is continuous and consistent.

If I drag much sooner after pressing the mouse button the zoom starts instantaneously, or at least perceivably so.

It appears that the time between clicking and dragging is the determining factor.

Since this appears to be the same each time for me, and also the same in your videos I imagine that it's by design. Plus I see a benefit for the use I case I described earlier, avoiding zooming when one wants only to move the cursor.

I could be wrong, these are simply my observations.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby emreyazgin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:12 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:
emreyazgin wrote:It is definitely not by design because it it were it would have to do it all the time. If you watched the videos I have created carefully there are times it does it and there are times it doesnt...

Well, what I saw in your videos and also on my machine is that if you press the mouse button and drag slowly upwards or downwards there is a certain distance you must travel before the zoom begins, and this is consistant in your video and here. Once the zoom begins, as long as the mouse button is held down zooming is continuous and consistent.

If I drag much sooner after pressing the mouse button the zoom starts instantaneously, or at least perceivably so.

It appears that the time between clicking and dragging is the determining factor.

Since this appears to be the same each time for me, and also the same in your videos I imagine that it's by design. Plus I see a benefit for the use I case I described earlier, avoiding zooming when one wants only to move the cursor.

I could be wrong, these are simply my observations.

I think the problem is you cannot really see when the mouse is depressed or pressed. Which of course is fair..therefore it makes it difficult to judge what is going on exactly.

What I experience here is when you click and drag there is always a distance, as you said, before it starts zooming. But once it starts zooming, then this distance is not needed any more to zoom in and out. Now, this might seem like it is designed to prevent errors if someone clicks and wants to move the cursor but there are 3 questions to be asked here:

1) Has anyone ever complained about cubase having problem when you want to click and locate cursor and accidentally zoom?
2) Doesn't this "solution" (if it is designed to do so...) create a much bigger problem of having a slack EVERY TIME you want to zoom in and out?
3) If this is designed as you described..Why would it continue zooming smoothly once it starts zooming? Surely, one can decide to zoom, and then locate cursor without depressing mouse? If you do so, then after the zoom, the "safety design" is no more there...
emreyazgin

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 pm

emreyazgin wrote:I think the problem is you cannot really see when the mouse is depressed or pressed. Which of course is fair..therefore it makes it difficult to judge what is going on exactly.

It is clear when you click because the play cursor jumps to the mouse location.

emreyazgin wrote:What I experience here is when you click and drag there is always a distance, as you said, before it starts zooming. But once it starts zooming, then this distance is not needed any more to zoom in and out. Now, this might seem like it is designed to prevent errors if someone clicks and wants to move the cursor but there are 3 questions to be asked here:

1) Has anyone ever complained about cubase having problem when you want to click and locate cursor and accidentally zoom?

Maybe. only a tiny minority of Cubase users post here. For example, I have never seen a post from Hans Zimmer. :)

emreyazgin wrote:2) Doesn't this "solution" (if it is designed to do so...) create a much bigger problem of having a slack EVERY TIME you want to zoom in and out?

Apparently not for everyone.

emreyazgin wrote:3) If this is designed as you described..Why would it continue zooming smoothly once it starts zooming?

Because it is safe to assume that the user wants to continue the function he started as long as he holds down the mouse key.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby emreyazgin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:
emreyazgin wrote:I think the problem is you cannot really see when the mouse is depressed or pressed. Which of course is fair..therefore it makes it difficult to judge what is going on exactly.

It is clear when you click because the play cursor jumps to the mouse location.

emreyazgin wrote:What I experience here is when you click and drag there is always a distance, as you said, before it starts zooming. But once it starts zooming, then this distance is not needed any more to zoom in and out. Now, this might seem like it is designed to prevent errors if someone clicks and wants to move the cursor but there are 3 questions to be asked here:

Maybe. only a tiny minority of Cubase users post here. For example, I have never seen a post from Hans Zimmer. :)

emreyazgin wrote:2) Doesn't this "solution" (if it is designed to do so...) create a much bigger problem of having a slack EVERY TIME you want to zoom in and out?

Apparently not for everyone.

emreyazgin wrote:3) If this is designed as you described..Why would it continue zooming smoothly once it starts zooming?

Because it is safe to assume that the user wants to continue the function he started as long as he holds down the mouse key.

I have been using cubase since 3.7 and I have never had any problems with accidental zooming. In fact, its one of the features of Cubase that I like a lot. Changing this all of sudden is just total BS. Even if is a feature, user should be able to set it accordingly. However, that being said, I am still convinced that this is not a design thing. If it were, I would be able to find it find it somewhere.

I will get in the root of this thing. I will create a ticket and report back.
emreyazgin

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:15 pm

That's the way to know for sure!
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby emreyazgin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:That's the way to know for sure!

Sarcasm? :)
emreyazgin

Postby SteveInChicago » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Not at all. I have no way to really know, and am just going by the observations I made.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby emreyazgin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:23 am

SteveInChicago wrote:Not at all. I have no way to really know, and am just going by the observations I made.

I have contacted with support..No replies yet..
emreyazgin

Postby emreyazgin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Please Steinberg. Acknowledge this issue and either fix it or make it a user choice to disable/enable if this is done by software design.
emreyazgin

Postby SteveInChicago » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Still no response? Are you in the US?
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby emreyazgin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I did but i couldnt crack the code...im pasting exactly what they wrote me. Im in europe.

Dear Mr Yazgin,

I apologize for this inconvenience and for deleting of my answer. I would inform you that is now available Cubase 7.0.3 update at link below
http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/dow ... ase_7.html
Best Regards
Oscar Bonomi
Technical Customer Support

I asked about the spesific issue and whether it is a feature or bug and this is what i got..
emreyazgin

Postby SteveInChicago » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Wow.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby emreyazgin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:Wow.

yes..

and here is what I asked:

Hi there.

There is something I have noticed with cubase 7 and I was wondering if it is a bug or a feature. If you can let me know, then I will troubleshoot or report this bug accordingly.

In all previous versions of Cubase, when you click and drag down or up, Cubase immediately started zooming in or out accordingly. However, in Cubase 7, zooming starts after a certain distance is passed. To explain this behaviour easier I have created a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Bp-lkmZPI

Thanks,
Emre Yazgin
emreyazgin

Next

Return to Issue Reports