Mini The Moog

don’t have the mini but original owner of a Moog Prodigy bought back in the 70’s. love it for basses and leads.

That gold minimoog looks wicked!

Thats great man. Have you got any recordings/videos of it ??

i have the 1979 Multi Moog !! :mrgreen: Bought it on ebay 1 few years back for about £1,000. But i still really want a Mini !!

Thank you very much for all your advice guys.

i bought a original MiniMoog last week !! :mrgreen:

The seller is the ORIGINAL OWNER and bought it brand new in 1980 in London, UK. My original upper limit was £3,500 but i decided to pay a bit extra extra and go for this one because it is in astounding condition, no modifications, been serviced by an expert, does not have Midi, comes with a flightcase, has had all the woodwork treated and waxed, and will not be being shipped in from abroard. The seller was a professional musician and happend to be the keyboard player with the UK band MUD !!

So once again, i thank you all for your advice.

Best,

Paul

Wow, congrats :slight_smile:
Enjoy!

Cool! Have fun with the Mini! :sunglasses:

I would love to own one, but I’ll have to do with the Arturia Minimoog V (which is also great, btw).

First congrats on the new ax.

This reminds me that we would actually write/play 8-16 (what ever it took)
bars of just drums or bass and drums etc into the music just to give the keyboard player
time to ‘set-up’ his moog for the next sound.

This was early to mid 70’s and DISCO was king. (oowe oowe) :slight_smile:
So we could get away with that. :slight_smile:

Ah those were the days. Satin pants and platform shoes.
{‘-’}

Ta Strophoid,

Yes, i am very pleased and excited about it. i have looked on ebay since 2007 at many many MiniMoogs waiting for the exatct right one to come along which was peferect in every way for my needs.

Paul

Will do HFH.

i have a few VST’s (not many) but enough for what i need. But having a real Rhodes, Clavinet and Moog is certainly a superior feeling.

Though i wanted to ask you please, have you heard of the Native Hammond B4 (i think its called) plug-in ?? i heard it a couple of years ago and thought it was amazing.

Cheers,

Paul

Ta Curteye,

Thanks for your congrats !! Its a real honour to own such a world class instrument as i am sure you can appreciate. :mrgreen:

Thats an interesting little memory about giving the keys player time to re-program patches on a non-memory synth.

Best,

Paul

I had a moog source for a little while back in the early 80’s. it was basically a mini with a digital preset memory… Did not seem to have the tuning issues so much, at least, once it was warm. :sunglasses:

Hey NWM,

Yeh man, one of my best mates has a Source !! Its great and i keep trying to buy it off him. It has buttons in the old Yamaha DX7 style, and the funkiest colour scheme ever. Love the sound of it. i think it has an ARPEGGIATOR or a SEQUENCER of sorts onboard ??

Ta,

Paul

I don’t own it, but I heard it is pretty amazing.

I have NI B4 mkII and it makes me droll just holding down the keys! I happened to pass through a music shop a few weeks ago and they had a full Hammond organ with pedals and a Lesie speaker and it sounded great no doubt. I think the B4 comes close enough though in the studio.

I view it as this: You can’t compare a real instrument like Hammond/Leslie or Strat/Marshall to a simulated one, but you can compare a micked up organ+amp or guitar+amp coming through the wall in to the studio monitors to a sim instrument also coming through the studio monitors. And in 2013 it’s close enough to say that in the studio it makes no sense to drag the real poop around just for the sake of it. If you have some special set up you rely on for whatever reason of course you should use your hardware, but most of the time it’s not significantly better.

The sims take no space and you can save presets of hundreds of combinations. Hardware can’t. Hardware can WAIL and SCARE SMALL ANIMALS, TICKLE YOUR EARS, ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF and SOUNDS DANGEROUS in the real world. That’s their place!!! :sunglasses:

Where were we? Oh, the B4! Great plugin! :sunglasses:
Get on if you can … Native Instruments discontinued it a few years ago, though!!! :open_mouth:

[edit]

Same goes for the Mini Moog, of course!

I have NI B4 mkII and it makes me droll just holding down the keys! I happened to pass through a music shop a few weeks ago and they had a full Hammond organ with pedals and a Lesie speaker and it sounded great no doubt. I think the B4 comes close enough though in the studio.

Where were we? Oh, the B4! Great plugin! > :sunglasses: >
Get on if you can … Native Instruments discontinued it a few years ago, though!!! > :open_mouth:

Thanks Howling,

Yes i think you are correct. It must have been discontinued because i can’t seem to find it anywhere. i was also not aware that there was a ‘Mk 2’ version.

Paul

Congrats on the Mini! I’ve owned an original Model D since 1989.
Got it for a hundred bucks in Youngstown Ohio.
Mostly been sitting in a studio but I did gig with it on and off.
The tuning was always an issue at live events.
(The temp and humidity in clubs can be bad)

I use to use the headphone output to tune it and change
sounds parameters between playing.
You can shut off the main output and still use the
phones output. That little feature was brilliant thinking.
Saved my ass a couple of times right before a lead part
came up all out of tune.

I paid a $100.00 used in 1989, had it serviced once in Chicago at
Midwest Music Menders at a cost of $350.00-$400.00
sometime around 1992. Still going strong today.

The cosmetics are and have always been totally ruined.
The guy I bought it from had painted all the wood black.
Added a piece of wood to the bottom where he drilled a
giant hole to attach a stand. The keys are all crooked and
misaligned. But I like it that way. It looks like the keyboard
Mad Max would have had in “The Road Warrior” if he were a
musician and not a high speed death dealer of the future world.

It would be nice to get it looking like brand new I guess.
I would only do that if I were going to sell it and
that just isn’t going to happen.

Congratulations again, you have a new analogue friend for life.

Thanks Rotund,

Thats a very interesting story mate !!

So i guess you are not going to invest any money in it, and so just keep it as it is. If its only being used in your studio then i guess thats fine.

Ta,

Paul

Guys,

i tooks some pic’s this weekend but am not sure if i can upload them as it says JPEG files are not permitted ??

Paul :confused:

i just opened a couple of accounts with Flickr and SkyDrive (duplicate files in each). Please take a look… :smiley:

(Flickr)

COMPLETE SET :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets

INDIVIDUAL :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets/72157637786720376/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets/72157637784204506/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets/72157637786120223/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets/72157637784359345/

(SkyDrive)

COMPLETE SET :-

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=94a102d689dd3308#cid=94a102d689dd3308

INDIVIDUAL :-

That looks amazing, nice flightcase with it too!
Happy with the sound? :smiley: