Optical Character Recognition (scanning) for notated music?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Optical Character Recognition (scanning) for notated music?

Postby curteye » Sat May 04, 2013 12:56 am

Aloha guys,

While looking in the attic of my church, some members found
a bunch of printed music tuck away in a cupboard. A lot of it.

Mostly lead sheets with melody/chords/lyrics etc

I figured that this would be a perfect job for 'OCR' work
(optical character recognition/commonly know as scanning)
but I am not very informed about the current state of the technology
when it come to creating viable MIDI files.

So my first step before hitting the almighty 'Yahoo/Bing/Goog' search engine
is to ask you guys.

So guys, when it comes to OCR for music notation, sup wit dat?

Major TIA (thanks in advance)
{'-'}
Last edited by curteye on Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Re: Any successful 'OCR' (for music) users here?

Postby Makumbaria » Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 am

A good option is Photoscore (Neutraton). Works well with Sibelius and Finale. I am a Sibelius user, but I know a lot of Finale users that are using this program

http://www.sibelius.com/products/photos ... imate.html

Lite version comes with Sibelius, and the full version(ultimate) is a different product (more advanced options). You don't need to own a Sibelius license to buy and use the full version.

Works very well with printed music (computer or tradicional printing), and vary a lot with handwriting music (sometimes it is very good, and sometimes a complete mess).

Here is an alternative (smartscore):

http://www.musitek.com/
Last edited by Makumbaria on Sat May 04, 2013 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 7.5.20 / 6.5.5 / CMC-TP/CH/AI / Halion Sonic 1.6.3 / Padshop Pro 1.1.0 / HSO 1.0.1 / The Grand SE 3.1
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bits/ i7 3630QM / 2.4Ghz / 16 GB & i7 950 / 3.06Ghz / 8GB RAM / M-audio Fast Track Pro

Ivory II Italian Grand / Addictive drums & Keys / GPO / Alicia Keys Piano / Abbey Road Modern Drums / Ezdrummer / Sampletank / Miroslav Philharmonik CE / VSL / POD Farm / Amplitube / Kuassa Creme & One / TH2 / PSP Audioware / Nugen Audio Visualizer / Voxengo Redunoise / Slate Digital / Wave Arts / Waves V9 / Softube / Toneboosters EBULoudness
Makumbaria

Postby knuckle47 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:43 am

I am interested in the options for this but for the iPad as well. I had seen a few jazz guitarists playing and one used an iPad to display all of the sheet music and set lists they used. When looking into it, several programs did not have some of the nice features that are listed in links you've attached here. Have not yet decided but these have even more than I thought might be available and change my thinking.

I know this much, There is a lot of effort in scanning loads of sheet music, titling, sorting and really getting it so it is organized.... so the choice you make needs to accommodate everything your looking for.
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby curteye » Sat May 04, 2013 11:43 am

Aloha M and thanks for the link.

I will check this out next week.

Funny thing is before C7, I did all my score work in Seb but I
never needed this feature so I never ran across it.

I've got some research to do on this, so a major 'Mahalo' to you
for showing me a direction.

{'-'}

curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Jarno » Sat May 04, 2013 8:03 pm

Steve Fogal wrote:as... "Any successfull 'OCD' (for music) users here" ... over & over & over :shock:

With OCD you mean:
* Obsessive-compulsive disorder
* On-chip debugging
* Office of Civilian Defense
... or something else?

See ... I feel your pain. I hate using acronyms in any forums when they are not totally unambiguous and widely recognized by community. Now, even if I should recognize acronym 'OCR' (beacuse I'm computer scientist and used OCR countless times), I had no glue what the topic was about just by reading the title, because optical character recognition isn't something we come across in DAW world on daily basis.

Another example of using acronyms in this forum was a topic about Steven Slate Drums ... For days I clicked the topic, because I thought it was about Solid State Drives. Yes ... I'm a 'moron' ... and should apologize Immortal for being one.
Cubase4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl drumkit | Olympic by Premier drumkit | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier
Jarno

Re: Optical Character Recognition (scanning) for notated music?

Postby curteye » Sat May 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Sorry guys,

I changed the subject line.

Ma bad. :(

{'-'}

BTW
the info provided by Makumbaria has set me on a path
that looks very fruitful.

curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby curteye » Sat May 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Jarno wrote:Yes ... I'm a 'moron' ... and should apologize Immortal for being one.

LOL :)

{'-'}

curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby BriHar » Sat May 04, 2013 10:23 pm

I used to use a program called Capella scan. I used to scan sheet music in and it would save it in MIDI format
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.20 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby Tommok » Tue May 07, 2013 9:27 am

It seems that none of you people have really worked with either Photoscore or any alternatives.

I personally haven't tried SmartScore, but any version of Photoscore has proven to be hardly usable for me, to say the least.

You certainly don't want a software that makes you correct gazillions of mistakes, taking up more time than it would take to just quickly input your scores. Or a program getting even the basics of a clearly scanned printed score wrong (e.g. how many lines per system).

I am quite surprised how little research and development effort has been put into music OCR compared to text OCR, which seems to be working rather fine by now in most cases. Actually noone I know of actually uses any of the music OCR systems, although for many of them (including myself) they would be awesome tools of they would just work properly.
Tommok

Postby Makumbaria » Tue May 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Tommok wrote:It seems that none of you people have really worked with either Photoscore or any alternatives.

I did (Photoscore lite version). I'm not a power user (I prefer to write things from scratch, using Sibelius). Photoscore works good for me when I used, but I was scanning printed music only (not handwriting).
Cubase 7.5.20 / 6.5.5 / CMC-TP/CH/AI / Halion Sonic 1.6.3 / Padshop Pro 1.1.0 / HSO 1.0.1 / The Grand SE 3.1
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bits/ i7 3630QM / 2.4Ghz / 16 GB & i7 950 / 3.06Ghz / 8GB RAM / M-audio Fast Track Pro

Ivory II Italian Grand / Addictive drums & Keys / GPO / Alicia Keys Piano / Abbey Road Modern Drums / Ezdrummer / Sampletank / Miroslav Philharmonik CE / VSL / POD Farm / Amplitube / Kuassa Creme & One / TH2 / PSP Audioware / Nugen Audio Visualizer / Voxengo Redunoise / Slate Digital / Wave Arts / Waves V9 / Softube / Toneboosters EBULoudness
Makumbaria

Postby knuckle47 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Am I misinterpreting these types of software ? I think they will scan sheet music into a scanner and convert them to PDF files and play them as MIDI files?

Some of them will identify guitar chord diagrams as well?

And finally, they can be viewed on the computer or iPad?

Thanks
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby curteye » Sat May 11, 2013 12:28 am

knuckle47 wrote: I think they will scan sheet music into a scanner and convert them to PDF files and play them as MIDI files? Some of them will identify guitar chord diagrams as well?
Thanks

That's the idea.
This was meant for printed sheet music. Not manuscript.
When this tech first came out it was a 'flakey' at best.

I am zeroing in on a couple of approaches.
When I find a solution, I'll post.

A major 'Mahalo' to you guys.

{'-'}

curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby knuckle47 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:54 am

Looking forward to that. The most versatile versions of these can get pricey and must have a learning curve, I wonder how much curve I have available to start with one of these. My head is getting filled up lately with chord tack and basic midi
knuckle47

Postby Makumbaria » Sat May 11, 2013 4:37 pm

knuckle47 wrote:Am I misinterpreting these types of software ? I think they will scan sheet music into a scanner and convert them to PDF files and play them as MIDI files?

Some of them will identify guitar chord diagrams as well?

Thanks

You can also convert a PDF into a editable file in Sibelius, Finale , Encore, and so on

Another use is to scan a complete score to be able to extract the parts (after exporting your results to a music score software).

Makumbaria

Postby tjstech » Sat May 11, 2013 10:19 pm

knuckle47 wrote:I am interested in the options for this but for the iPad as well. I had seen a few jazz guitarists playing and one used an iPad to display all of the sheet music and set lists they used. When looking into it, several programs did not have some of the nice features that are listed in links you've attached here. Have not yet decided but these have even more than I thought might be available and change my thinking.

I know this much, There is a lot of effort in scanning loads of sheet music, titling, sorting and really getting it so it is organized.... so the choice you make needs to accommodate everything your looking for.

I have used Smartscore only a few times, but it has worked very well as long as I scan from the original and it isn't faded. It doesn't read very accurately on photocopies of a score. It will playback your score in a midi file, but doesn't have a transpose function. However, if you want to transpose something you scanned you can import the midi file into Cubase, transpose it, and if necessary re-score it in it's transposed state.
tjstech

Postby knuckle47 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:26 pm

It looks like photoscore and Smartscore are the front runners. I tried searching a few others but these two just keep popping up in the top 10 listings
knuckle47

Postby Makumbaria » Sun May 12, 2013 6:44 pm

knuckle47 wrote:It looks like photoscore and Smartscore are the front runners. I tried searching a few others but these two just keep popping up in the top 10 listings

Yes, there are not so many options out there.

Here some related software (but not OCR):

Scorecleaner

The main goal here is to "clean" a midi file , transforming a regular midi file into a score more suitable to read.

http://scorecleaner.com/

Watch this video to understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IlOL1IOnHk

PDF to music Pro:

Works only with PDFs created with a notation software (scans from a book doesn't work). It is not necessary to know which score editor created the source file. This program transforms a PDF file into MusicXML format, useable in most of the professional score editors.

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/product ... sicpro.htm

Makumbaria

Postby curteye » Fri May 17, 2013 1:09 am

UPDATE:

Problem solved!

A while ago I donated to the church an old Mac G4 laptop for use by the kids.
The laptop also has Cubase AI4 loaded on it.

The church has decided to go the 'biological' route and hire
a local high school student who will stop by each day after school
for an hour or two and start inputing the notation/lyrics.

I have already taught her how to step/insert MIDI events
and next week one of the members is donating an old keyboard
so she can 'play-in' other stuff.

Tanx for all your suggestions guys.

Sending much Aloha and a major Mahalo.
{'-'}

curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Makumbaria » Fri May 17, 2013 1:54 am

curteye wrote:UPDATE:

Problem solved!

A while ago I donated to the church an old Mac G4 laptop for use by the kids.
The laptop also has Cubase AI4 loaded on it.

The church has decided to go the 'biological' route and hire
a local high school student who will stop by each day after school
for an hour or two and start inputing the notation/lyrics.

I have already taught her how to step/insert MIDI events
and next week one of the members is donating an old keyboard
so she can 'play-in' other stuff.

Tanx for all your suggestions guys.

Sending much Aloha and a major Mahalo.
{'-'}

Great! A person inputting the notes is even better than an OCR! :D

Makumbaria

Return to Steinberg Lounge