[Poll] Would you like to see true Bounce-In-Place in Cubase?

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Would you like to see a true Bounce-In-Place function in Cubase?

Yes! Cubase needs a true Bounce-In-Place function built in
91%
No. I'd prefer no Bounce-In-Place function be built in
2%
I don't care. Bounce-In-Place is not an issue for me
6%
I have no idea what you are talking about
2%

Total votes : 374

[Poll] Would you like to see true Bounce-In-Place in Cubase?

Postby billcarroll » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:52 pm

We all know Logic and Studio One both have true Bounce-In-Place built in. Many would probably agree that Studio One has probably nailed it with the ability to transform midi to audio and back again.

Regardless of who has nailed the functionality best, Cubase doesn't have a Bounce-In-Place function built in. Here is your chance to voice your opinion one way or another.

* Poll edited to add an option and re-voting (change your vote). Apparently this reset the votes, although there were only three votes at the time. My apologies for leaving out an option that should have been there.
Last edited by billcarroll on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
billcarroll

Re: Would you like to see true Bounce-In-Place in Cubase?

Postby Jarno » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Where is "I don't care" option. That would be my answer. I prefer to bounce to new track so I have total control on what's happening and not let the software decide. But at the same time if "bounce-in-place" were there, it would not disturb me. But because I have no such option, I have to vote "no". Sorry.
Cubase4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl drumkit | Olympic by Premier drumkit | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier
Jarno

Postby billcarroll » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Jarno wrote:Where is "I don't care" option. That would be my answer. I prefer to bounce to new track so I have total control on what's happening and not let the software decide. But at the same time if "bounce-in-place" were there, it would not disturb me. But because I have no such option, I have to vote "no". Sorry.

Makes sense. I added add an option for you and enabled re-voting should you wish to change your vote :)
billcarroll

Postby !@# » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:28 pm

There are already multiple options to achieve the same thing, no need for another.
!@#

Postby G-string » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:30 pm

winter rats macro works fine for me ;)
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby billcarroll » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:34 pm

G-string wrote:winter rats macro works fine for me ;)

It's a nice macro and I use a variation of it, but in my opinion it still falls far short of a built-in Bounce-In-Place function or something like track transform from midi to audio like Studio One has.
billcarroll

Postby Jarno » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:35 pm

billcarroll wrote:I added add an option for you

Thank you very much, sir!
Cubase4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl drumkit | Olympic by Premier drumkit | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier
Jarno

Postby solidsilver » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Bounce in place would be a great addition. And sort out media bay woes eg Rex files.
Win 7 Pro 4770K, UAD Apollo Quad, UAD Quad, Dangerous DBox, Elysia Xpressor, Adam A7 and Sub 8.
solidsilver

Postby curteye » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:55 pm

solidsilver wrote:Bounce in place would be a great addition.

Aloha guys,
I agree and options (to use or not to use) are also welcomed.

IMHO
Nothing wrong with Steiny looking at all the other DAWs
and stealing (yes I said stealing) some of the best features from each
and then rolling them into Cubase.

As a musician I recognize that musicians steal ideas from other musicians
all the time and many are proud of it.

That's called growth.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Audiocave » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Jarno wrote: I prefer to bounce to new track so I have total control on what's happening and not let the software decide.

It does bounce to a new track, "bounce selection" of midi. The other choice is "Transform", which swaps out the midi track with an audio track, which is more like freeze, but with editing of frozen bits.

No clue how Logic does it but in S1 you select midi clips and hit CTRL+B and all the midi clips get bounced to a new audio track directly, underneath the midi track, "in place" (eg, not consolidated like stems but representative of the individual midi clips size and placement), and the original midi clips get muted. If you do want a consolidated result, bounce the range selection.

Hope that clears it up.
Audiocave

Postby vespesian » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 pm

I'd go for bounce in place, as long as it doesn't replace the current "import into project" option, which I actually kinda like. Sometimes, you'll need the same midi track, w same vst - but bouncing several versions with different patches, to be combined later, routed somewhere else, etc....in which case b-i-p might actually end up being a PITA. I kinda like the "I control everything" m.o. that Cubase offers.
vespesian

Postby Stealth » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:50 pm

I love WinterRat's bounce in place macro, it eliminates so many steps... that being said, I would still love to see true bounce in place implemented in Cubase someday (hopefully soon).
i7 4800MQ 2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Steinberg UR22, Win7 64bit, Cubase 7.5 64bit
Stealth

Postby smartinuf » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:07 am

I think this is a must feature for Cubase, not only would it be very useful, it would do a lot for Steinberg as far as remaining competitive. I was looking at switching to Studio One mainly because of this feature but am now holding out in hopes of Steinberg adding it soon, hope they're listening.
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 Ghz (early 2008), 10.7.5, 12 gig RAM, RME Digiface, UAD2, Cubase 6.5.3, Nuendo 3,
Macbook Pro (Late 2008) Fireface 800, Mackie 1640i
smartinuf

Postby billcarroll » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:46 pm

smartinuf wrote:I think this is a must feature for Cubase, not only would it be very useful, it would do a lot for Steinberg as far as remaining competitive. I was looking at switching to Studio One mainly because of this feature but am now holding out in hopes of Steinberg adding it soon, hope they're listening.

Completely agree with this. Bounce in place and track transform from midi to audio and back to midi in Studio One is so very appealing given the CPU hungry super synths that now exist.

I'm sticking with Cubase, but would really love to see these features.
billcarroll

Postby JT3Jon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Coming from Logic and using "bounce in place" in every project, I'm happy to hear there is a possible work around. For those who don't know the thread, I did the searching legwork for you: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=30597&hilit=bounce+in+place

Going to try the macro before voting on if we need an actual "bounce in place" option, but this "midi to audio back to midi" functionality in studio one sounds very cool! Unsure how it would work in practice. I only ever "bounce in place" when I want to print an effect on a part (like an amp sim on a track, etc) so I doubt once I do that, studio one would be able to give me midi back, right? For example, what would it do if I printed a chorus effect, or worse a delay?!
Cubase 7.5.2 OS10.8.5 MacPro 8-core 2.93Ghz, 32GB RAM, UA Apollo
JT3Jon

Postby billcarroll » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:59 pm

JT3Jon wrote:Coming from Logic and using "bounce in place" in every project, I'm happy to hear there is a possible work around. For those who don't know the thread, I did the searching legwork for you: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=30597&hilit=bounce+in+place

Going to try the macro before voting on if we need an actual "bounce in place" option, but this "midi to audio back to midi" functionality in studio one sounds very cool! Unsure how it would work in practice. I only ever "bounce in place" when I want to print an effect on a part (like an amp sim on a track, etc) so I doubt once I do that, studio one would be able to give me midi back, right? For example, what would it do if I printed a chorus effect, or worse a delay?!

I use the Macro, but it is a solution that you have to make work, and it falls far short of what could be achieved if Steinberg builds the functionality in.

With Studio One you can use Track Transform, which will transform midi, instrument, and effects to audio, and back if you want to edit anything. You can go back and forth as much as you want.

You can also use Event FX to print an effect to a piece of audio right in the arrange.
billcarroll

Postby tombuur » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:49 pm

!@# wrote:There are already multiple options to achieve the same thing, no need for another.

Do you mean like this:

Several clicks to export the track, including naming and all.
Pick up the imported track at the bottom of the screen and move it to where the original track is.
Establish routing and sends for the imported track.
Mute and disable all effects in the original track to save cpu.

Reaper does all this in one single right-click for everything in in a folder.
tombuur

Postby sonicstate » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Basically bounce in place is Freeze. Freeze does midi, you can go back to original any time... If only Steinberg would make it so that freeze could be edited further, all would be fine.
Cubase 7.5, Win 7 64bit, i7-4770K @4.3GHz, ASUS Z87-K, 16Gb, 2x RME HDSP 9652, BCF 2000, BCR 2000, Novation Launchpad Mini, M-Audio TriggerFinger, Korg NanoKey, plenty outboard synths and fx, 24ch Studiomaster mixer, Yamaha NS10s, Dynaudio BM5, Samson Rubicon R8a Ribbon, etc...
sonicstate

Postby Stealth » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:34 pm

tombuur wrote:
!@# wrote:There are already multiple options to achieve the same thing, no need for another.

Do you mean like this:

Winter Rat's bounce in place macro does this in one click.

sonicstate wrote:Basically bounce in place is Freeze. Freeze does midi, you can go back to original any time... If only Steinberg would make it so that freeze could be edited further, all would be fine.

This.
i7 4800MQ 2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Steinberg UR22, Win7 64bit, Cubase 7.5 64bit
Stealth

Postby Audiocave » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:23 pm

sonicstate wrote:Basically bounce in place is Freeze. Freeze does midi, you can go back to original any time... If only Steinberg would make it so that freeze could be edited further, all would be fine.

Not really. Bounce and freeze are two different functions, although freeze includes a file bounce. It's hard to vote on something when it's foreign, it results in assumptions being made about the thing under discussion. Suffice to say, many of the assumptions being made here about the other functions are off base.

Anyway, you can't really edit Cubase's frozen bits because they're contiguous files and unlike the other model, the midi isn't directly attached to the frozen audio bits. The methodologies are completely different and the result is way more flexible and functional.

The part most overlooked is the unrestricted nature of the direct bounces, they don't require loop ranges or export dialogs or anything like that and afaict, the macros are nice but not the same thing at all. I posted some graphics in the past but I think the got deleted.
Audiocave

Postby jose7822 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Stealth wrote:
tombuur wrote:

Do you mean like this:

Winter Rat's bounce in place macro does this in one click.

This.

Sorry, but no. You still have to move the audio clip around after the bounce and do prep work in order for it to work. No such thing needed when you bounce in place. I really think people need to actually use this feature in order to get what it does. Believe me when I say that NO ONE here would want to use Steinberg's current implementation (except for certain situations, as someone mentioned above) after using the Bounce in Place feature as is now available in Logic, Studio One 2, Reaper and even Sonar X2. The way it is done, you can go back and forth as many times as you want to. IOW, it is non-destructive. How can anyone say they don't want that, is beyond me. That's why I say it must be one of those things you simply have to try to get the grasp of it.

EDIT: BTW, another feature that needs serious attention is the Export option window. It lacks exporting tracks with or without Sends, bypass Inserts, bypass all FX, etc. Sure you could bypass FX pre exporting, but an option to have it all in the export window would be nice. Anyway, that is a subject for another topic. Don't mean to hijack this awesome thread.
ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Intel Core i7 4770K (OC'ed to 4GHz) | 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum (2400MHz) | ASUS ATI Radeon HD7790 | Corsair H100i Water Cooler | Corsair HX850 PSU | Windows 7 Pro (SP1) 64 bit | Cubase 7.5 64 bit | RME FireFace UCX | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad
jose7822

Postby billcarroll » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:00 am

jose7822 wrote:Sorry, but no. You still have to move the audio clip around after the bounce and do prep work in order for it to work. No such thing needed when you bounce in place. I really think people need to actually use this feature in order to get what it does. Believe me when I say that NO ONE here would want to use Steinberg's current implementation (except for certain situations, as someone mentioned above) after using the Bounce in Place feature as is now available in Logic, Studio One 2, Reaper and even Sonar X2. The way it is done, you can go back and forth as many times as you want to. IOW, it is non-destructive. How can anyone say they don't want that, is beyond me. That's why I say it must be one of those things you simply have to try to get the grasp of it.

EDIT: BTW, another feature that needs serious attention is the Export option window. It lacks exporting tracks with or without Sends, bypass Inserts, bypass all FX, etc. Sure you could bypass FX pre exporting, but an option to have it all in the export window would be nice. Anyway, that is a subject for another topic. Don't mean to hijack this awesome thread.

Well said. I agree on all points.
billcarroll

Postby jules » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:29 pm

billcarroll wrote:
jose7822 wrote:Sorry, but no. You still have to move the audio clip around after the bounce and do prep work in order for it to work. No such thing needed when you bounce in place. I really think people need to actually use this feature in order to get what it does. Believe me when I say that NO ONE here would want to use Steinberg's current implementation (except for certain situations, as someone mentioned above) after using the Bounce in Place feature as is now available in Logic, Studio One 2, Reaper and even Sonar X2. The way it is done, you can go back and forth as many times as you want to. IOW, it is non-destructive. How can anyone say they don't want that, is beyond me. That's why I say it must be one of those things you simply have to try to get the grasp of it.

Well said. I agree on all points.

I second bill & jose and totally agree. Time to enter in the freeze golden age & leave the prehistoric one behind us.
W7 64, intel q6600 quad core, 8 g ram, ssd, cubase 7
jules

Postby Centralmusic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:48 pm

billcarroll wrote:
smartinuf wrote:I think this is a must feature for Cubase, not only would it be very useful, it would do a lot for Steinberg as far as remaining competitive. I was looking at switching to Studio One mainly because of this feature but am now holding out in hopes of Steinberg adding it soon, hope they're listening.

Completely agree with this. Bounce in place and track transform from midi to audio and back to midi in Studio One is so very appealing given the CPU hungry super synths that now exist.

I'm sticking with Cubase, but would really love to see these features.

+ 1 !!!
And I also completely agree with this...

We need Bounce-in-Place in Cubendo!

Cent.
Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Postby zibin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:36 pm

+1

please implement this ASAP

Zibin
Home-PC: ASUS-Sabertooth-Z77, i7-3770K@4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, SSD, W7-64-PRO, BEHRINGER-X32, C7.0.4-32Bit
zibin

Next

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions