What is your most "unliked" aspect of Cubase

Everything else...

Postby artguy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:39 am

I am enjoying using Cubase very much, particularly when it helps me to achieve notational structures I adore (I am a MIDI person) but there are some aspects, maybe partially developed features that I am finding to be a bit of a hindrance, namely the difficultly I experience when editing midi parts.

What happens is, I solo two or more instruments and if I cut a note in one part, notes underneath are also cut unless I have "Edit Active Part" selected which means then that only one sound can be heard while in playback mode.

OTOH, I can cut notes without them having to be selected which saves time.

I am a wee bit confused about this because to achieve cuts for the desired instrument (part) only it means allowing all channels to sound but also muting things I don't want to be heard such as drums, which in turn means I am often switching between the project page and editor, or closing the (key) editor and starting again.
artguy

Re: What is your most "unliked" aspect of Cubase

Postby curteye » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:50 am

Aloha a,

The dongle.

To which Steiny might say:

'A necessary evil'
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby tex » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:09 pm

none!!
i7 12GB, Acer desktop. Mark of The Unicorn-mk3 Ultra, cubase 7.5, Wave lab elements
tons of plugs and a few outboard, bag of vinyl. Mackie monitors and analogue desk
tex

Postby JMCecil » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:27 pm

As a champion moaner, I really don't have a "most unliked" aspect. Actually I love C6.5. There are things I do/don't like, but over-all it kicks ass.

On your MIDI editing confusion... I agree that there are some inconsistencies. However, the thing you describe is not really an inconstancy. It is a trade off. One of the problems for multi-track MIDI note editing is the number of permutations for editing states.

The one thing I think would really help is a more extensive use of mod keys for direct access to the tool pallet.

But overall, I think Steinberg did a good job of the editing trade offs.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby Jeff Hayat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Helge.

:o

I KID I KID!!!!!!! :lol: :P
Jeff Hayat

Postby artguy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:31 pm

JMCecil wrote:On your MIDI editing confusion... I agree that there are some inconsistencies. However, the thing you describe is not really an inconstancy. It is a trade off. One of the problems for multi-track MIDI note editing is the number of permutations for editing states.

At risk of being a "moaner" myself I have tried the previous version of Cubase and it does not work how I have described so the idea that there is some trade off doesn't seem to make much sense IMV.

Perhaps it is sheer wondering about what the future holds in this area rather than confusion because I can imagine some extra buttons in the key editor to for example "mute all tracks with drum maps assigned" which for my purposes would suit me perfectly and allow the great SB corporation to develop new XML based maps for score, tab etc.

I hope I am making more sense because C7 really is the best program for music composition and due to things I have learnt only just lately, it is even more useful than ever.
artguy

Postby JMCecil » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:49 pm

artguy wrote:
JMCecil wrote:On your MIDI editing confusion... I agree that there are some inconsistencies. However, the thing you describe is not really an inconstancy. It is a trade off. One of the problems for multi-track MIDI note editing is the number of permutations for editing states.

At risk of being a "moaner" myself I have tried the previous version of Cubase and it does not work how I have described so the idea that there is some trade off doesn't seem to make much sense IMV.

Perhaps it is sheer wondering about what the future holds in this area rather than confusion because I can imagine some extra buttons in the key editor to for example "mute all tracks with drum maps assigned" which for my purposes would suit me perfectly and allow the great SB corporation to develop new XML based maps for score, tab etc.

I hope I am making more sense because C7 really is the best program for music composition and due to things I have learnt only just lately, it is even more useful than ever.

No, you are making sense. But, its funny that you are sensitive to areas of the program that you use, but seem to think those of us that are complaining about other areas are moaners :D This is situation normal for Cubase ... they give with one hand and take away (either intentionally or not) with the other.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:24gb - OS:Win8.1x64 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 8 |Cubase 6.5/7.5| H5, HS2, HSO, Padshop Pro
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby artguy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:09 am

So taking into account the 7.0.6 announcement, do you think the majority of mixer issues have been addressed?
artguy

Postby JMCecil » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:21 am

artguy wrote:So taking into account the 7.0.6 announcement, do you think the majority of mixer issues have been addressed?

I doubt it .. No mention of AOT or multiple monitor size/position issues. Although they could be in the "other stuff fixed" on the mix console. I didn't see where they fixed the QLink to work properly (still monumentally stupid way to do this even if they fix it). I don't see where they fixed the mixer size recall issues .. although they mention one particular version of it.

Basically, it's a wait and see situation.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby artguy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 am

As i recall if a mixer is spread full-screen across multiple monitors and a project is opened on a single monitor, resizing is improved as well as channel resizing horizontally and vertically so i take this as a great step forward; in addition to workspaces remembering mixconsole settings.
artguy

Postby curteye » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:06 am

artguy wrote:So taking into account the 7.0.6 announcement, do you think the majority of mixer issues have been addressed?

Even if they are I can hear/read the upcoming complaints now.

{'-'}

curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby JMCecil » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:22 am

artguy wrote:As i recall if a mixer is spread full-screen across multiple monitors and a project is opened on a single monitor, resizing is improved as well as channel resizing horizontally and vertically so i take this as a great step forward; in addition to workspaces remembering mixconsole settings.

That only works if your monitors are the same size ... video on a large screen, mixer on a 24", VSTs on another 24", Project on the 30" ... is an absolute mess in C7.
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby rockrecorder » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:19 pm

The single most "unlikable" thing about C7: The highly questionable decision to put the resizing of both tracking window and mixer to the same shortcut keys.

It really messes up my workflow and has sent me into fits of frustration on numerous occasions!
Last edited by rockrecorder on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 7.5 32/64 | Wavelab Elements 8 | Win7 64bit | Intel i7-3820 3.6Ghz | MSI BigBang Xpower II MoBo | Lynx Aurora 16VT x 3 | UAD Quad x 3 | Neve 8816 x 2 | Focal SM9
rockrecorder

Postby Fabio Bartolini » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:50 pm

Keep it civil and don't call names.

[EDIT: Thank you]
Fabio Bartolini, Steinberg Tech Support
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Fabio Bartolini

Postby knuckle47 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:37 pm

I would like to second the motion with Curteye and "the dongle". I have had the same one in my USB slot for 9 years. It gets bent, banged, twisted and cracked almost routinely. Currently glued together, a spare awaits a similar fate.

The receiver on my wireless mouse sticks out maybe 1/4"....perfect, in fact, it almost looks more like a usb slot cap instead of an active device. Some form of size reduction has got to be a welcome change
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby artguy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:59 pm

knuckle47 wrote:I would like to second the motion with Curteye and "the dongle". I have had the same one in my USB slot for 9 years. It gets bent, banged, twisted and cracked almost routinely. Currently glued together, a spare awaits a similar fate.

I've got a Belkin USB 1.1 hub, with a small cable.

Yes it hangs of the back of the machine but it won't get knocked around as easily.

I also have a Wibu Stick, which is at the opposite end of the hub.
artguy

Postby BriHar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:32 am

I have no problems with the dongle but I can understand the concern for those using more mobile DAWs. I agree that the size should be able to be reduced.
Ideal would be to have it act as a USB Thru - i.e. with a useable USB port at the end. :idea:
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.20 - 64bit | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby artguy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:04 am

I don't have a problem with the dongle parse but rather the eLc software, in that it does little bar download and activate licenses.

To my way of thinking it should also update itself and potentially supported applications as well.
artguy

Postby curteye » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:21 am

BriHar wrote:+1
I agree that the size should be able to be reduced.
+2
Ideal would be to have it act as a USB Thru
- i.e. with a useable USB port at the end. :idea:

From someone who uses C7 live each weekend these are very very nice ideas.
{'-'}

curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby knuckle47 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:47 am

When my computer sat in the house studio room and essentially ran but collected dust as it was never moved, the dongle point was moot. Once the computer got bigger and clumsy and harder for me to handle (age weakness) it started to get really banged around a lot as I would try to take it to other players houses or other gigs to record our live stuff. Sometimes just from a quick 90 degree rotation to get to the back panel, the dongle had gotten snapped and popped out. With the guts in my hand, I slip it in... and glued it later on

Newer computers are well equipped with USB ports so even if it just occupied a space as it does now only smaller, it would be much better. I am hoping that the iPad and Cubasis will minimize those issues for me
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby BriHar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:19 am

Also make it USB 3 compatible!
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.20 - 64bit | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby artguy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:22 am

BriHar wrote:Also make it USB 3 compatible!

That and put some flash memory on it like the Wibu CM-Stick and have an upgradable version of eLc on it, so each update to the protected software doesn't need to install a version of the eLicenser software.
artguy

Postby Fabio Bartolini » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi there,

the UeL is USB3 compatible. The problem only exists with specific USB controllers.
Several USB interfaces will also have problems in that case.

Maybe you missed a post about licensing, but some news are on the way.
But please, do not ask what and when ;)

Just have a little more patience.

Cheers,
Fabio Bartolini, Steinberg Tech Support
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Fabio Bartolini

Postby JMCecil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Fabio Bartolini wrote:But please, do not ask what and when ;)

ok ... can you provide an ETA and Technical Form of the solution then? ;)
JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:41 pm

JMCecil wrote:
Fabio Bartolini wrote:But please, do not ask what and when ;)

ok ... can you provide an ETA and Technical Form of the solution then? ;)

Go back in your bunker JM. ;)
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Next

Return to Miscellaneous