Drain sound distortion when a VST MIDI track plays

Everything else...

Drain sound distortion when a VST MIDI track plays

Postby dioman_leikari » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Dear all,

anybody knows what concerns the drain sound distortion VST Instruments may have playing a recorded track?

I am using Hollywood Strings in this case although the same problem happens using LASS2.

When I play, the sound is perfect, when I listen what I have just composed there is a drain sound distortion.

:roll:
DAW (SSL Certified), M/B X79, Intel E5-2620, 64 Gb ram DDR3, 8 Tb HDs ,1 HD SSD 500Gb, 2 Nvidia cards (GTX 670), 900watt pfc active, Tuned Windows 7 Pro 64bit, x3 19" lcd displays, 1 master lcd tv 55", C7.5, DP8, ProTools HD, Sequoia, Live, Logic Pro, Sibelius and Madness.
dioman_leikari

Re: Drain sound distortion when a VST MIDI track plays

Postby Soul-Burn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:38 am

What do you mean by drain sound distortion?
As I found out yesterday, try to disable ASIO-guard and tell me if it's different.
Soul-Burn

Postby dioman_leikari » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Soul-Burn wrote:What do you mean by drain sound distortion?
As I found out yesterday, try to disable ASIO-guard and tell me if it's different.

I mean that the violins seem to be in a bathroom basically. Such as part of the patch is missing in the sample.

I do not know technically how define it, but I incurred in a similar problem when I composed on Mac Book Pro using MOTU 828MKIII in Logic Pro.

I used to load one instance per instrument and when I had this problem it was enough set in Play (for Eastwest) the channel from Omni to 1. The problem disappeared when I set that.

Now I am using Cubase 7 and RME as internal sound card. The buffer size was set to 4096.

The problem does not change if I load a singular VST instance using just one articulation.

I disabled ASIO-guard as well, but nothing changed.

I tried to change 24bit to 32bit, I do not know I tried everything.

I sent a message to my provider as well so he may suggest me a solution.

I exported a mp3 about the test I am doing.

You may download it here if you want. The first Violins are Violins II Flautando (Eastwest HS Diamond) then Cellos, and Violins II sustain. The Violins II sustain shows the problem better I think.
DAW (SSL Certified), M/B X79, Intel E5-2620, 64 Gb ram DDR3, 8 Tb HDs ,1 HD SSD 500Gb, 2 Nvidia cards (GTX 670), 900watt pfc active, Tuned Windows 7 Pro 64bit, x3 19" lcd displays, 1 master lcd tv 55", C7.5, DP8, ProTools HD, Sequoia, Live, Logic Pro, Sibelius and Madness.
dioman_leikari

Postby The Parlanchin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:59 pm

A drain (sewer pipe) or bathroom sound is indicative of a 10 to 50 ms delay applied to a signal/track. Sort of a flanger without any modulation with high feedback.

My humble guess is that a signal/track is feeding back to itself (with delay caused by latency).
Check your signal routing for the affected track.
Can't help further

Parlanchin
Cubase 7.5 (64bit), Halion 5, Halion Symphonic, Grand SE, Steinberg CI2+, Fostex VF160, Mackie Control, M-Audio Midisport2x2, Technics SX-PX336, Signex ARC32, Fostex PM1s, Windows 7 64bit, 2.2GHz Dual Intel, 4GB RAM
The Parlanchin

Postby dioman_leikari » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:31 pm

The Parlanchin wrote:A drain (sewer pipe) or bathroom sound is indicative of a 10 to 50 ms delay applied to a signal/track. Sort of a flanger without any modulation with high feedback.

My humble guess is that a signal/track is feeding back to itself (with delay caused by latency).
Can't help further

Parlanchin

Thanks Parlanchin. I am not a technician therefore I would be in need of some hint about that.
Where may I fix this problem? I found in Main Menu "Devices"/Device Setup/Built-in Audio/Control Panel the possibility to increase the Input Latency but I do not know whether that's the parameter I should check and increase. :?
dioman_leikari

Postby The Parlanchin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Short answer: I don't know.

However, it's perhaps not latency that's you problem: latency is always around.

It's probably IMHO your signal path. There is a loopback somewhere; or multiple versions of the same track being listened to simultaneously (with one delayed ~15ms for instance, giving you a "flange" effect). It could be a monitoring problem; I really couldn't say.

I am no expert. I'm sure other, more experienced forum members will have sensible suggestions. Sorry I can't help.

Parlanchin
Cubase 7.5 (64bit), Halion 5, Halion Symphonic, Grand SE, Steinberg CI2+, Fostex VF160, Mackie Control, M-Audio Midisport2x2, Technics SX-PX336, Signex ARC32, Fostex PM1s, Windows 7 64bit, 2.2GHz Dual Intel, 4GB RAM
The Parlanchin

Postby dioman_leikari » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:40 pm

The Parlanchin wrote:Short answer: I don't know.

However, it's perhaps not latency that's you problem: latency is always around.

It's probably IMHO your signal path. There is a loopback somewhere; or multiple versions of the same track being listened to simultaneously (with one delayed ~15ms for instance, giving you a "flange" effect). It could be a monitoring problem; I really couldn't say.

I am no expert. I'm sure other, more experienced forum members will have sensible suggestions. Sorry I can't help.

Parlanchin

I truly thank you for your helpfulness, I really appreciate it. I have no idea anyway, I got in touch with my supplier which will check the problem this Thursday likely. ;)
dioman_leikari

Postby dioman_leikari » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi, I fixed the issue! My provider found the problem in 2 seconds.

The proper name of this noise is "Flanger" and it was due to my faulty Midi Master Keyboard which places the same MIDI note twice when I record the line.

I some way I set the keyboard incorrectly in the past and it sends the same information two times.

Anyway, I just had to click on each note and delete it leaving only one.

It was not possible click "select all" in this case because I had to keep the note under the second one. But I worked 1 hour on all instruments and I cleaned everything. Now the project is perfect, the sound is amazing and my 64Gb of RAM are a huge amount of memory for the project although I set all articulations of all instruments because before Cubase had to read 2 times in the same time the same articulation of all instruments.

Now it is perfect, all my problems are disappeared and I am ready to carry on my works.

Thank you for your helpfulness again!
dioman_leikari

Postby dioman_leikari » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:37 pm

The Parlanchin wrote:A drain (sewer pipe) or bathroom sound is indicative of a 10 to 50 ms delay applied to a signal/track. Sort of a flanger without any modulation with high feedback.

Can't help further

Parlanchin

You were right about flanger. I did not know the proper name. Thanks million.
dioman_leikari

Return to Miscellaneous